Casa de mi padre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casa de mi padre Reviews

August 11, 2015
Don't even start to ask me why but I absolutely loved this film! Strangely looking and sounding like one of these 'telenovela' flick from Latin America, this is actually a really funny and entertaining comedy with a Will Ferrell more toned down than usual. It was filled with references to these 50's romantic comedy from Latin America and done with a lot of humor and taste. Just watch it, it's a delight from start to finish.
June 16, 2015
Quirkily...silly.

A comedy about two brothers (played by Will Ferrell and Diego Luna) in Mexico, fighting a drug baron (played by Gael Garcia Bernal). Meanwhile, a beautiful women (played by Genesis Rodriguez) adds to the intrigue...

While it has some pretensions to being a modern western, the movie is clearly intended to be a comedy. Problem is, it's not that funny. The humour is offbeat, Mel Brooks sort of stuff. However, Blazing Saddles this is not - Blazing Saddles is funny...

Therein lies the problem, I think - if the joke doesn't hit its mark it bombs entirely, and there are far more misses than hits in this movie.

So what you have is mostly just silliness, rather than humour.
½ June 10, 2015
It's like they tried to make an Austin Powers here, to an extent. They failed, but, what exists is still an interesting way to keep Spanish words flowing into your ears. It was good, it touches on some good stuff, and has some good music in it. The intro song is highly misleading as to how 'big' this movie will feel, but still, it's a good film, in my view.
May 18, 2015
Casa de mi Padre is a tongue-in-cheek satire of western movies set in Mexico and the way American film making has treated the Spanish culture in Hollywood. As the blatant tool, getting Will Ferrel to deliver all his lines in Spanish whilst acting the hero is comedy gold. The mere act of seeing him attempt to act seriously and speak Spanish is beautiful in its own right. Playing on all the cliches, on and "off" screen, Casa de mi Padre leaves no stone unturned in who and what it wants to poke fun of. Some deliveries are flat and predictable, whilst some of pure gold and hilarious. This strange film hits a niche market and will not be appreciated by most, but for those that can appreciate its intentional stupidity, it is genius.
½ May 12, 2015
One of the most entertaining movies I've watched... Humor is in the subtext, so it's not the most riotously funny. But when you appreciate the awkward satire, you love what you see
April 19, 2015
If I wanted to read I would get a book
March 30, 2015
A Funny or Die skit that's been stretched out to a seemingly too long 80 minutes.
½ March 29, 2015
"If it sounds Spanish, man, that's what it is; it's a Spanish movie."

I can't even go into description of how stupid and funny this movie was. This was probably the 2nd greatest spoof movie I have ever seen. Will Ferrel deserves a Oscar nomination!
March 27, 2015
It was.. odd. Don't expect anything and you'll be pleasantly confused.
March 25, 2015
I dont know how to review this movie. Sometimes I was like, you know is not so bad, and other times I was like wow what a bad quality movie. Overall, I gave this movie. 1 1/2 stars.
½ November 30, 2014
Will Ferrell stars as Armando Alvarez in Casa de mi Padre. Casa de mi Padre, all in Spanish, is a comedy about the drug trafficking, and how although he is a rancher, he finds out his brother has ventured into drugs. Casa de mi Padre is a decent movie, but fails to really to be too funny, and at times takes it self too seriously. Genesis Rodriguez was stunning, but that might be the only take away from this movie.
November 29, 2014
will is the good guy to fight mens
November 17, 2014
different but lots of funny parts and a good parody of old Mexican movies (2 views)
November 15, 2014
Whilst not being utterly hilarious, you have to admire the attempt. I'd love to know whether this film is a hit in Spanish speaking countries, indeed Mexico. In any language, if you are a Ferrell fan, there is enough to please. Story wise, it's definitely thin, but this fits in nicely to the FOD and Spoils Of Babylon fold of ode's to 70's niche films/TV.
November 7, 2014
It was funny if you dont mind reading subtitles the entire movie, i dont mind subtitles for a drama but not for a comedy.
½ November 2, 2014
141102: I'm going to put this one right up there with Nacho Libre. Brought me many laughs. Good movie.
½ October 17, 2014
Spoof of the western films and films of 50 - 70"s good comedy a nice watch.
½ October 17, 2014
Pretty bad movie. While it has some funny and clever moments, the film's major problem is that in trying to parody cheesy Spanish soap operas/novellas and grindhouse movies it takes inspiration from, it becomes another bad entry into those genres. Granted, cheesy B-movies and grindhouse movies have a certain appeal to them in their bad quality and editing, combing the genre with Spanish soaps was not a great idea. It would've worked better as a fake trailer like Machete or Hobo with a Shotgun (which are two fantastic examples of grindhouse films), but wears thin and tedious as a feature-length film.
½ October 9, 2014
When is Will Ferrell going to get credit for being the genius he is? While Casa de mi Padre is certainly no Gone with the Wind or even Anchorman, it is a brilliant experiment that was much funnier than I had been led to believe. Will's lily white ass amongst his supposed Hispanic family, fake white tigers, intentionally poor edits, telenovela drama, all done in Spanish...comic genius. As Roger Ebert once said, if you didn't get this movie, it says more about you than the film itself.
September 12, 2014
It's a fun play on Mexican telenovas with plenty of other satire concerning westerns and movie-making in general. Will Ferrell makes and breaks this movie all at once according to everyone who's bothered to rate or review this one. I enjoyed it but it clearly could have been executed better, but everyone involved had fun.