Casa de mi padre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casa de mi padre Reviews

July 6, 2014
De toda la hizo para las películas españolas que he visto a Will Ferrell hacer, este es uno de ellos. Mejor línea de la película, "Mexico is the bestico!"
June 30, 2014
What? This movie was lame. It's like Dumb & Dumber.
June 28, 2014
OK movie overall with a few laughs and gun fights
½ June 23, 2014
low budget film. The only entertainment part of the movie is Will Ferrell speaking okay Spanish, and that cheesy scarface recreation scene.
June 23, 2014
make sure you know Spanish other wise read the subtitles and laugh at will........A Caaaasa de me Paaaadre
½ June 22, 2014
Though it can be tedious and devoid of laughs at points, Casa de mi padre is a parody that works because of the charm and hilarity of its cast.
June 17, 2014
I wanted to really enjoy it I did Will Ferrell usually has no problem with me when he gets on screen I usually laugh at everything he does. Sadly with this one it's not as good as it needs to be with this I felt is was on screen for too long and I didn't mind the Spanish speaking I think it would have been better if I knew Spanish. There are some really hilarious parts but nothing really too good or not enough of them to save this movie. Luckily Anchorman 2 came out and brought him back up.
½ June 1, 2014
More of a niche comedy than broad yuckfest, 'Casa de mi Padre' relishes in the melodrama and cheese of over-the-top Hispanic soaps. Yes, its story is thin, its dialogue woeful and its presentation overblown, but that's how a lot of these shows actually are, and for that, it's a fitting and joyous romp.
½ May 4, 2014
I was gonna give a 3 star, but gave it a half more due to the fact that the story was not to bad, but the way they did the movie sucked. It was dry, but I do see what the were trying to do for the movie. Glad it was on netflix. Would not want to buy the bluray.
April 30, 2014
I tried...but I just couldn't get past the subtitles. I'm not a subtitles guy even if Will Ferrell is the star. There were some funny parts...but the Spanish overshadowed them so I turned the movie off about 1/2 hour in.
April 24, 2014
I believe a lot of people have overlooked the brilliance of this movie. There are amazing skits littered all throughout this movie, they are very well calculated and there is a whole lot to this movie that you will miss if you only watch it once. Casa de mi padre actually becomes more amusing the more times you watch it. The use of props are amazing. If you are not very observant this movie will most probably come across rather dull so I guess you can rule out the American audience.
April 17, 2014
The little bits are the best bits. Gotta keep your eye out for em'.
April 5, 2014
Hillarious. Will Ferrell's expressions and Spanish can and pretty much do carry this film!
March 26, 2014
Boring at times (14) LIBRARY
March 19, 2014
i get everything that they tried to do. it all worked very well for me
½ March 17, 2014
"If you were smart you would know that you are dumb."

Directed by Matt Piedmont (known mostly for his work in Saturday Night Live and the Funny or Die videos) and written by Andrew Steele, Casa de Mi Padre, is a spoof on the Mexican tele novellas. It was a nice idea, but poorly executed considering there were very few funny moments and five minutes into the film the gags wore off. This could have worked much better as a 5 minute skit in SNL, but it doesn't have enough comedic moments to carry the film for 80 minutes. I'll give Casa De Mi Padre credit for being original and for trying something different, but the story just dragged during most of the film. Will Ferrell surprised me as he delivered all his lines in spanish by learning them phonetically; he may not have spoken perfect spanish but he did a decent job and I had no problem understanding him. Unfortunately despite having an interesting idea for the film, the execution was just too simple and the laughs were practically nonexistent. Casa De Mi Padre is a hollow film and there isn't much more to it.

Armando Alvarez (Will Ferrell) has been living in his father's ranch in Mexico all his life. He's not bright, but he's loyal to his father, Miguel (Pedro Armendariz Jr.). He spends most of his time with his buddies, Esteban (Efren Ramirez) and Manuel (Adrian Martinez) goofing around while he cares for his father's animals. His younger brother, Raul (Diego Luna), is an international businessman who has returned to save the ranch and introduce his new fianc, Sonia (Genesis Rodriguez), to the family. However, Raul seems to be running an illegitimate business and Armando warns him he has brought trouble to the ranch. The town's drug lord, Onza (Gael Garcia Bernal), has declared war on Raul for interfering in his area, while Raul has also drawn the attention of DEA Agent Parker (Nick Offerman).

Will Ferrell is a funny guy and most of his films work for me, but Casa De Mi Padre is just too dull and uninspired. It's a shame because there is a talented cast, Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal are two of the best Mexican actors, Nick Offerman always delivers, and Genesis Rodriguez is a beautiful actress. I grew up in South America, so I'm familiar with the novellas they were trying to spoof, but after five minutes the jokes wore off. The trailers made me believe this was going to be hilarious, but it wasn't at all. There were some funny moments involving the production design and the animatronic white jaguar, but everything else was poorly executed.
½ March 17, 2014
"If you were smart you would know that you are dumb."

March 11, 2014
It was just OK. Formula plot. Robert Rodreguez wannabe.
March 1, 2014
Good for a couple of laughs, but wouldn't re-watch.
February 25, 2014
Dumb. Low budget comedy spoof of scarface