Casino Royale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Royale Reviews

½ June 10, 2017
Craig actually works as Bond and his lack of range and charm works with the brutal tone of the movie.
June 7, 2017
A compelling cinematic tour de force that is immediately gripping and in turn cool, exhilarating, funny and tear-jerking. Like the best reboots Casino Royale distils what is great and timeless about a beloved character while throwing out what is archaic or unnecessary, resulting in a believable reimagining with no small part of the success coming from an outstanding performance from Craig. He nails the balance needed for Bond; someone the audience really shouldn't like and yet a man we completely root for. Through him and a wealth of other great preformances the film is able to pull off a deeper exploration of the character than ever before. And so we get to see the weaknesses of a man like Bond as well as the strength needed to be the best of the best. Among the film's other delights are the most tense card game on celluloid, perfect matches for our hero in both an extremely sinister villain and perfect Bond girl chemistry and one of the greatest closing lines in history.
June 5, 2017
Probably my favorite bond movie. Super engaging, great acting, beautiful scenery. One of the best foot chases ever. The poker game is very interesting as well. I'll definitely rewatch it in the future, though it does get a little long.
May 30, 2017
Daniel Craig delivers as the new Bond in this sleek, sexy film featuring gritty action and an underrated villain.
May 28, 2017
Craig works as Bond.
½ May 23, 2017
From out of nowhere comes this 'series reboot' of the 007 franchise that seeks to explain the Bond -hitherto very thin- backstory. As such, Casino Royale thankfully has very little to do with the late '60s comedy (or the 1950s tv production featuring an all American Jimmy Bond). It is a slick adaptation of the Fleming story with liberal doses of sub-plotting and a shift from its cold war environment to the contemporarised Islamic terrorist-funded world of 2006. Director Martin Campbell has done a fine job with this film, re-inventing 007 as capably as he did with GoldenEye a decade earlier. Gone are the cringeworthy double-entendres, gimicks, gadgetry,and formulaic storylines. In their place is a tough, occasionally smirking blonde Bond played with a steely conviction by English actor Daniel Craig, matched with a story about betrayal. French actress Eva Green is stunning as double agent Vesper Lynd and Mads Mikkelsen makes a creepy, disturbing villain with one eye that weeps blood (usually when he's losing a high stakes game of poker). I have shaved the fourth star down to a half simply due to the fact that it is also a very long movie (longer than it needs to be) and some of the action sequences (while brilliantly staged) could have used some culling in the editing process but that said, it's one of the best Bond movies in years.
May 16, 2017
Daniel Craig is James Bond 007 and Wow! An over the top, no fucking around Bond film!
May 16, 2017
An excellent Bond film. Perfectly retro and fun, while still feeling real. The performances are exactly what they needed to be, the cinematography lets us feel like we're part of the action, and man oh man is the action great. The set-piece sequences are so creative and wild. Right from the first fight scene it starts showing off how inventive it is. And when the first chase scene started I was blown away with how surprising it all was. After all, why have Bond perfectly chase after and mimmick a parkour expert when he can burst through drywall or poorly land on a sandy rooftop? This is one of the best spy films of all time.
May 6, 2017
Craig made me a huge bond fan love this movie.
May 1, 2017
Grade - A+
My favourite Bond movie to date, 'Casino Royale' has stunning action sequences, great performances and excellent direction from Martin Campbell.
April 25, 2017
watched it and loved it.
April 18, 2017
When Casino Royale was released back in 2006, people hated the idea of Daniel Craig portraying the iconic James Bond character. People were nervous that he would destroy the franchise with blond hair and blue eyes, but everyone's hatred of the idea came to a sudden end once the film was released, and it turned out to be the one of the best Bond films ever. In Casino Royale, a terrorist organization is relying on a man with the name Le Chiffre (Mads Mikkelsen) to win at a high-skates poker game to retrieve the money. James Bond (Daniel Craig) is assigned to play in the game as well to prevent Le Chiffre from getting the money. Casino Royale is my favorite James Bond film. It did everything right, it had no problems at all, it was perfect. This movie did what a 007 film is supposed to do, it showed the dark side of the character, along with a reasonable amount of suspense. Most of the movie revolves around the actual poker game. The film also brings in one of the best Bond girls in the franchise, named Vesper Lynd (Eva green) who helps 007 with his assignment. This film highly resembles the Mission Impossible films, it features the same style of film. It is a very well written movie that doesn't fail to show the version of the character straight from his origins. It also revived the franchise after previous, 'less than stellar entries'.
Over all, if you are a fan of the James Bond movies, I would highly recommend it to you. It was perfect. 5/5 stars
½ March 23, 2017
Gave the Blu-ray a spin recently, and this film still holds up amazingly well, possibly my favorite Bond outing these days, tho I may need to give the Dalton films another day in court.

Just gave this another look on cable. I really enjoyed the action sequences and was happy to get some behind the scenes of Bond before the polished Agent we've known in the other films.

This is a very nicely done Bond film, and Daniel Craig sets our mind at ease with his take on the character.

Recommended.
March 20, 2017
I'm not a Bond fan, but this film is a great spy film. Both gritty and slick.
½ March 14, 2017
James Bond isn't exactly one of my most favorite characters. I find most Bond movies to be boring overall. This one is a bit different and I am thankful for that. Daniel Craig does a great job in this. While this movie isn't without a few slow parts, it is still worth watching.
½ March 5, 2017
It is wonderful to see the Bond series re-booted with a brilliant movie. Explores the start a young 007 learning from his mistakes during a mission. Daniel Craig performs the epic 007 role brilliantly and gives a grounded performance.
½ February 28, 2017
My personal favorite James Bond film.
February 27, 2017
Casino Royale is really good
February 21, 2017
Perfect in every way. Not only is Daniel Craig one of the greatest versions of James Bond, Casino Royale might even be the best James Bond film we've ever been given. James Bond hasn't truly felt this organic and real since Goldfinger. Simply spectacular.
½ February 21, 2017