Casino Royale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Royale Reviews

½ January 4, 2017
161117: 21st Bond Film. Though watched piecemeal, Casino Royale struck me as one of the better Bond films I've seen. Once again stretching the capability of the human body, Daniel Craig's James Bond at least seemed a little more human. Vesper Lynd (Eva Green) appealed to my sensibilities and I liked some of the other characters and set locations. There is some beautiful scenery in this film but also a lot going on. It took a review of Wikipedia afterwards to comprehend all that had occurred but this is likely my weakness and may not be yours. For one of the first times, looking forward to the next Bond film and seeing how well Craig represents. Based upon my prior reviews of this historically frustrating franchise, I'm giving this film 3.5 stars.
January 1, 2017
Another one of my top favorites. The new Bond is a cool guy, and this movie was just long enough; REALLY exciting beginning.
January 1, 2017
An excellent Bond film that has great suspense and yet is a more realistic and gritty Bond with a constantly riveting plot, even after the main bulk of the action and the main plot of the movie is over.
½ December 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Wow this really is a franchise reboot; not only does 'Casino Royale' re-energise and re-stylise Bond, it also brings in a level of sophistication that we've never seen before. Seriously, the STORY is so twisted and layered, yet unlike the convoluted political nonsense of a 'Mission: Impossible' film, it's personal and so it has high-stakes and flows really damn well. This is impressive on it's own as it keeps you captivated and engaged, but it's even more amazing when you consider how it sets up the next film and keeps you in the know and surprises you just the right amounts. Yes, if it sounds like it's achieved a lot, it has - for goodness sake not only is this an exciting revenge plot, a great spy-thriller and a gripping character tale - it's also the best love story of the franchise so far!
But a sophisticated story isn't all that makes this movie; something was needed to lift things above that grittiness. Luckily, this film found that solace in Daniel Craig. My gosh is this guy a good Bond; bringing a steeliness to compliment the new-found tone, yet a charm and witt to make everything all the more enjoyable. You properly, properly root for the guy, and that's thanks to Craig's performance, as well as his relevance and arc in the overall story. He can do smooth, he can do cold and he can damn well do action and as a result he's already the best Bond since Connery. Put all that good stuff in a film with all the usual fun action, glorious locations and sweeping musical numbers? It's kind of a Bond movie, but it's something quite a bit more too.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: A film this fresh and ambitious is bound to have problems, but the question is do they hinder the overall experience? Well, rarely; the only issue I have is that the overall tone is a little hard to adjust to - being such a fan of the classics. Having said that, in the words of 007 himself: "do I look like I give a damn?" Hmm I probably shouldn't, but I can say the feeling would have been less jarring had it stayed consistently dark throughout.
VERDICT: I'd go as far as saying that the story in 'Casino Royale' is one of the biggest achievements in Cinema history. It engages, it flows and it works, and Daniel Craig elevates it even further. Just wow.
½ December 28, 2016
Best Bond movie post Brosnan.
½ December 21, 2016
Credible reboot of the long running franchise starring Daniel Craig that actually goes back to the original Ian Fleming source material and makes the Pierce Brosnan era welcome history.
The film is more serious (no Q or Moneypenny characters, less gadget emphasis) but still has breathtaking action sequences that are less CGI and an improvement on its predecessor Die Another Day.
I remember when Craig was first cast the furore it caused amongst some Bond fans. They need not have worried to be fair.
Many memorable scenes from the novel are faithfully adapted but the card game in the Casino Royale is changed to Texas Hold'em Poker.
½ December 16, 2016
Great reboot of a never-ending saga of a new and captivating 007, played by a big Daniel Craig, who seems to have embodied the true James Bond
½ November 17, 2016
Casino Royale is certainly one of the best Bond films due to the reimagining of the franchise to a quality that makes it feel genuine. The ability of appealing to classic Bond fans while still being distinctly unique makes this an evident success. Craig's Bond is exposed suspensefully through emotional and physical vulnerability that provides the character with some much needed depth. Thrilling realism at its finest.
November 13, 2016
IMO the best bond movie of all time. The action aren't stupid, the characters are great, and all that happens in the movie make some serious and enhancing plot development.
November 6, 2016
Textbook Filmmaking and the perfect James Bond film. Not only is the action and suspense absolutely spectacular but it really explores the beginnings of James Bond as a double O agent. Daniel Craig is my favourite bond. I know it's a cliche choice but he really has the perfect balance of manliness and smoothness. Mads Mikkelsen plays a great villain and Eva Green plays one of the best Bond girls ever. She is smart, sophisticated and probably the most complex bond girl since Diana Rigg in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'. "You Know My Name - Chris Cornell" is also one of the best bond songs. It has that perfect mix of classic bond flare with a new alternative sound grounded in the 21st Century. Casino Royale is not just one of the best Bond films, it's one of the best action films ever made!
October 29, 2016
A Film That Strips Most Of The Glamour And Escapism From Bond, But Remains The Truest And Toughest Instalment Yet.
½ October 28, 2016
A new Bond for a new generation.
October 25, 2016
My name is bond , James Bond; The name is enough!
October 21, 2016
James Bond is back and he is alive and well. Any questions about Daniel Craig's worthiness are thrown out almost immediately as we are handed a film filled to the brim with exquisite action and explosive emotion. I squirmed in my seat with delight as I have not done since I was a child. What "Batman Begins" did for that franchise, "Casino Royale" does, and more, for Bond. For a while it seemed that he might not be able to well exist outside the confines of the cold war, but here we are given an entirely modern Bond with enough nods to the original that we can't be too upset. Maybe it's because this is the last novel yet to be filmed in the traditional Bond manner and it is Ian Fleming who has stolen our hearts not this incarnation of the super spy. However I like to think that someone actually just got their act together and concentrated on the film itself as opposed to who they could get the most product placement money out of. Congratulations. James Bond will live on for at least one more generation, and maybe forever. Great set pieces and one of the best chase sequences not involving cars ever put on screen, blended with beautiful locations and even more lovely women add up to the perfect cocktail with the twisting story line acting as the lemon peel in the martini, holding it all together. Many will come out saying that this is the best Bond film ever and I can not rightly say they are wrong at this point. Only time will tell that tale. However every fan can be assured that this ranks amongst the very upper crust of Bond movies, and Craig is no Lazenby. He lends a harsh wit and a thuggish charm to the character and by the end he's no longer the new guy, he is Bond, James Bond. A masterpiece of popular film-making and the movie we have been waiting for all year.
October 8, 2016
A superb entry into the Bond canon. Mikkelsen is superb.
October 3, 2016
Absolutely wonderful. Fully captured the meaning of the book.
September 15, 2016
Best bond film. Wonderfully wrote and paced
September 10, 2016
Exciting, action-packed and tense, Casino Royale is not only one of the best James Bond films of all time but it also shows that Daniel Craig is one of the most perfect incarnations of James Bond ever created with a serious tone that's been missing in previous incarnations.
September 7, 2016
Quite possibly the best Bond movie of all time. Casino Royale has a stellar plot, blending thrilling action and intense drama perfectly, add the performance of Daniel Craig as James Bond and you have a classic. This movie perfectly shows how James Bond the man became 007 the MI6 agent, it's one of the highest points in the 007 franchise and one desperately needed after Die Another Day.