Casino Royale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Royale Reviews

August 11, 2016
Better than sky fall.
½ August 11, 2016
Best Bond theme tune ever. And I love the interaction between Bond and Vesper.
August 7, 2016
El regreso de James Bond, y vuelve por todo lo alto. Un caso interesante, un diseño de producción precioso, un Bond glamoroso como debe ser, una chica Bond fuerte, con objetivos, motivaciones, y personalidad propia, y logró mantenerme intrigado a pesar de ser un total analfabeta en lo que a juegos de apuestas se refiere.
August 7, 2016
After 20 Bond movies (plus the original Casino Royale and Never Say Never Again) we find ourselves faced with the prospect of the first 'blonde' Bond... It's seems crazy to think we all doubted Daniel Craig's capability as our beloved 007. Casino Royale - the 21st Bond movie after the flop which was Die Another Day - has exhilarating action, crossed with tender emotions, exceptional performances all round and one of the strongest villains since the birth of Bond. Speaking about the originals, Casino Royale is without a doubt the best Bond yet... And arguably one of the greats of our generation.
Verdict: A+
August 5, 2016
Maybe the best bond film yet!
½ August 3, 2016
Casino Royale is directed by Martin Campbell and is the first Bond film starring Daniel Craig as the infamous agent. A new 00 agent for MI6, Bond is assigned with incapacitating a terrorist (Mads Mikkelsen) behind an attempted bombing of a plane.

This is a fun and stylish Bond film. Daniel Craig is a very focused Bond, not so easily distracted by the lure of women. He is also an inexperienced Bond, lacking proper judgement in certain situations. It makes for a very relatable protagonist. Eva Green is also very strong as a British treasurer tasked with aiding Bond in the poker match. Mads makes for an ok villain as well.

The action in this movie is top-notch. After the opening credits (featuring a solid Bond song), a chase scene draws attention immediately. The stunt team in Casino Royale deserves a lot of props for some of the actions they had to pull off. Also, the music is very solid throughout; the classic Bond theme isn't heard until the very end, signifying Bond's character arc into the mysterious 007 agent we're more familiar with.

There are some little things I didn't care for in CR though. During another chase scene, there is a knife struggle in the middle of a crowded room, and, somehow, nobody notices. The movie feels long at 2 hours and 20 minutes, and that's thanks to the last 25 minutes or so. There's a twist towards the end that does nothing but serve as Bond's final transformation, and I feel like it could have been done in a way that didn't feel separate from the rest of the movie.

Overall, Casino Royale will please new and old Bond fans alike while serving as a solid action movie. Go ahead and give it a watch if you have the 2+ hours!

Final grade: B+

-Ben
½ July 30, 2016
Casino Royale reinvents James Bond into a serious, realistic agent with a soul.
jamrcla
July 28, 2016
James Bond needed a reboot after most of the older entries got so silly it wasn't even fun anymore and the plot never changed, But this stunning film is brilliantly done by Daniel Craig who plays Bond perfectly, Some very good action scenes, And the best opening scene in a Bond film ever, It was nice to see that the gadgets are all but gone which made other Bond films silly, Bond doesn't have silly one liners he's just a heartless killer with a don't give a shit attitude just what Bond should be, It has to be the perfect Bond film, Very clever and the plot was very good if you can keep up with all the twists and turns, I hope Daniel Craig plays Bond a long long time.
½ July 24, 2016
Craig's first Bond film is still his best. Very good transition from Light Hearted Pierce Brosnan, with his glacier surfing to this big, dark, brute. The car flip was absolutely awesome! Well done, Martin Campbell.
July 23, 2016
Arguably the best Bond film of all time. The narrative is well structured and the film is full of brilliant one liners. Alongside the amazing acting of Craig, Green and Mikkelson you get some brilliant action set pieces, a superb score and some amazing cinematography.
½ July 16, 2016
Casino Royale is the best James Bond film I have ever seen. Danial Craig is a very handsome men, and his performance is great. The silly James films in the past is not in comparison to this. Excellent thrilling action.
July 10, 2016
Casino Royale is an excellent feat, mixing James Bond thematic elements with modern action shooting in delivery of a very stylish, sumptuous Bond film that sets a high bar for all the spy film that follows. It is so thoroughly complete as a film that I couldn't find reasons why it is not a 10/10, because I very much enjoy the 2 hours of watching and such genre of filmmaking is my cup of tea. (Plot holes shall be blamed on Ian Fleming's original novel)

In particular, I live how the scenes are cliche-free and cool, accentuating the badassery of Daniel Craig's Bond. The dialogues are very good. They appeared to be well-thought and was sometimes humorous. From "Shaken or stirred? Do I look like a give a damn." to "or I'll kill her. Allow me to." Old school humor in the lines also describes the character's situation and attitude in discreet ways are a shining aspect of the Bond film. Besides, how can one also not appreciate the acting chops by Daniel Craig, especially during the torture scene, and Eva Green's effort in portraying Bond's 101th bond girl, which has to be one of the more memorable ones amongst all of them. As for the small, detail aspects, the new Bond is given a personality and incredible build-up with scenes like the bomber murdering scene that showed his ego and Vesper's death scene that exemplified Bond's emotional vulnerability. His character was fully developed at the end and that in such graceful spontaneity.

My favourite moment, which I am often overly elated to tell, is in the app. half an hour poker showdown bet. Le chliffe and James Bond. Before the game Bond told the waitress a bunch of description for his drink, being cool and unorthodox. He soon screwed the thing after an all-in lost in which Le chliffe won all his money, as he was asked choices for his drinks, and it looks like he ain't got no damn to give this time. Spot on.
July 9, 2016
This may sound cliche but here it goes: Bond is back and better than ever! There I said it.
July 5, 2016
Favorite bond film so far
½ July 4, 2016
One of the best bond movies, shows a very real character that bleed and sweat.
½ June 24, 2016
Cassino Royale Apostou na nostalgia dos clássicos,cheio de referências e um roteiro muito esperto e uma atuação impecável de Daniel Craig,Eva Green e Mads Mikkelsen.
June 20, 2016
Daniel Craig's first turn in the tux. Just as many franchises have gone "The Dark Knight route" meaning they have turned stories darker and grittier, the James Bond franchise is now following suit. Daniel Craig is the most fit and tough Bond we've had. He's not the best James Bond, but he's good. Sean Connery, Pierce Bronsnan, then Daniel Craig. Script was remarkable and despite the point of the film being just a poker game, it was still filled with suspense and excitement.
June 14, 2016
The most interesting game of poker I've ever seen.
June 6, 2016
top 5 bonds all time
May 29, 2016
They got everything right with this. Perfect Bond film.