Casting JonBenét Reviews

• Jan 13, 2021

A down right bad "movie", that's another thing what do you even call this? Netflix tries to exist between the two worlds of documentary and movie/dramatization and it just doesn't work on any level. The actors give details on the events surrounding the Jon Benet case, but they do so in a way that is non chalant, even asking for direction on the details of the story from directors which somehow doesnt get edited out..for what reason? Such a strange...creation..? Not worth your time

• Aug 27, 2020

Truly terrible idea for a movie. Why should I care what random actors think about JonBenet? What they read in tabloids or heard on TV? Just poll people on the street. These actors do not have a greater insight into the case. The nonsensical premise isn't elevated by the execution. There's no plot or driving force. Skip this weird, poorly conceived film.

• Nov 06, 2019

I have personally studied the case of Jonbenet Ramsey's murder. I can tell you with utmost certainty that it was her father who violated and murdered this poor child. And sadly her mother covered for it. The initial idea was clearly for publicity, that she covered for her husband, then it became embarrassment to be associated and married to such a sick sociopath. This does not portray the falsehood of the emotions, these wanna be actors really made this into a travesty with their doting, bragging, and shit acting. The mother knew what her husband did, and she took it to her grave, and the husband is still living freely. Think deeply about criminal profiling, their traits match a typical cover up story and guilty party confirmation. The son also knows what happened, but he is still too scared or just beyond messed up from the situation to come forward now. He's afraid he will be charged. The father was too deep into this not to be guilty, and the key factor is the false confession from the pedophile who tried to say he did it, but the timeline made it impossible. I do believe that he got the details of the attack from the father, but changed the information so it wouldn't lead them to assume that the father was the guilty one.

• Jul 30, 2019

The sycophantic production is more atrocious than the crime itself. An exposé on random actors and actresses on their own childhood trauma. It was appalling, but not because of JonBenet.

• Mar 28, 2019

For the filmmakers, I give it a "D" for effort. For the parents, brother, other family members, medical caregivers (not mentioned in this film but mentioned in other media,) pageant advisors, teachers, neighbors up to and including "Santa Claus", you all get an "F" in parenting, child wellness supervision, and basic child welfare. In this upscale, liberal left neighborhood I bet a poodle would have been treated with more care and recognition of basic humanity. Oh, the irony. The filmmakers are guilty of exploitation. I was uncomfortable for ~90 minutes because of their profligate guilt. But the filmmakers are not bound outside of a contract not to exploit. Not that guilty exploitation is nothing to be proud of, but Kitty Green is not supposed to protect JonBenet from exploitation, guilty or otherwise. Listed here below are the others directly or indirectly placed in the film who were responsible to keep JonBenet from being exploited, and had they done so would not be guilty of same: Mommy (Patsy Paugh Ramsey) - The biggest burden of protection is placed on her shoulders, and thus the biggest failure is there, as well. Mommy failed JonBenet by prostituting her to Patsy's failed bid of winning Miss America and by wasting time and resources on the waste of humanity from Thailand, Jon Mark Karr...who would not have had the fevered fantasies about the 5-year-old had she not been in the pageants. Additionally, Mommy failed JonBenet because she was the only person in the house wearing the same clothes that horrible morning that she wore to the Christmas Night Party the night before. I am not saying Mommy killed JonBenet but because she was up all night (I mean, does Patsy seem like the wear-the-same-clothes-two-days-in-a-row kind of gal to you?) she knew who did kill her baby, and wrote that ridiculous ransom note to cover for him/them. Dead Mommies tell no tales for the benefit of the guilty party; but not for the justice of the murdered party. Daddy (John Bennett Ramsey) - This Daddy-Man was such a failure to his tiny little daughter that for a while after Patsy died he banged another Mommy of a beautiful, blonde-haired dead daughter, Beth Holloway...the mother of Natalee Holloway. Tell us John, do you have a type? Or are you a pedophile? Daddy FAIL. Big Brother (Burke Ramsey) - Being a big brother to a little sister does not include being jealous of her and hitting her in the head with a metal rod or pole, as you did approximately one month prior to her death. Did you learn pathological jealousy and violence from your mother, or pedophilia from your father? Brother - FAIL Santa Claus - Seriously? How did we get from "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" to "Santa Is In Your Heart, and JonBenet Is In My Heart"? We all know the pervy imposter in the Kringle suit isn't the real Santa/Father Christmas/Pere Noel, but to a child JonBenet's age he IS real. Honorable Mention Parent Figure - DISHONORABLE MENTION NEIGHBORHOOD PERVERT - FAIL. Pediatric Care Provider CRNP/MD - Isn't it the law that a young child with physical evidence of sexual activity on physical exam (before the child dies and has it verified at autopsy) has the alleged abuse reported to the district attorney's office of county said alleged abuse is noted? Additionally, if JonBenet had bedwetting and fecal incontinence at home then she had it at school. Aren't children referred to counselors at school if they are not potty trained by age 5 because delay in potty training equals emotional problems at home. Final layers of protection against any/all abusers of vulnerable minor child - FAIL. In conclusion, all modes of protection set up for a 5 to 6 year old female minor child of parental, familial, community, school, and medical protection for this child completely broke down. All of this happened before her case crossed the police/sheriff's department desk for the initial investigation and nothing but breakdowns occurred. It's sad to say that maybe this girl is in a better place with her God, rather than with all the incompetent people and organizations charged with her care while here on Earth. In retrospect the filmmakers, who have the least amount of responsibility to JonBenet Ramsey, have done the least amount of damage to her. What can they do? She is in a cold grave in Atlanta, Georgia. They made an insensitive, disturbing, unsettling, and dark movie about several possible scenarios which resulted in her death. Unfortunately, we will never know which scenario, if any, is the correct scenario. Only that it resulted in her death. I doubt that I will sleep tonight, maybe not even tomorrow night, after seeing this movie. If you have a heart and/or a soul, watch this film at your own risk of not only loss of sleep, but loss of peace of mind as well.

• Mar 21, 2019

Horrible documentary. Had nothing to do with the case. Just a recording of small town wanna be actors giving their personal opinion on the case. Very boring and pointless.

• Jan 24, 2019

It could be written off as gimmicky but I found the use of the ï¿ 1/2casting callï¿ 1/2Â?, a clever and unique doorway into a deep dive of how perception and popular theory can become seen as fact through time and group think. Side note to conclude: The actor cast as Jon Mark Karr was actually very very good. I hope he's still out there working his craft.

• Jan 04, 2019

Oh TOTAL BARF - total atrocious, monstrous failure. Rated Netflix's "let's phone it in," "Casting JonBenét (2017)" jusssssst barrrrrrrrely 1of5stars. Big thumbs down! This so-called "documentary" is the poster-child - no pun - for profiting off (exploiting) a crime story, whilst having imputed the least effort and budget. If you're a True Crime fan do yourself a favor and skip this pièce de shiite totale. Addresses maybe 15-20 facts of the case at most. The rest is drivel: Merely E- (not B rated..) rated "actors" auditioning for roles such as Patsy, John, confessor John Carr, Santa, Police Chief, brother Burke etc, and off-camera each gives their elaborate, mundane and wacky life stories which no one cares about, and professes their opinions and wild theories on the case. Tons of useless filler, eg. A JonBenet actress in full beauty pageant regalia dancing around her hallway at home, some Burke 10yo tryout kids being interviewed about their background and acting experience and then are shown striking small watermelons with a flashlight. I truly dearly hope (1) by watching this I didn't make more money for the producers and, (2) that the auditions led to an actual fictionalized biopic film but I sadly seriously doubt it! Waste of 1h20m. Kitty Green you should be ashamed. (fat money sack emoji here).

• Nov 07, 2018

A really interesting documentary and an interesting take on the idea of the documentary itself. I wouldn't watch this if you want to learn more about the story of JonBenet's murder, in fact my wife who knew little about the case was basically lost. This film is more about people's reactions and interpretations of the murder itself and how it affected the ordinary public. It's a really interesting concept but depending on what you come to this film for you're either going to find this a frustrating or intriguing watch.

• Sep 29, 2018