Castle Freak - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Castle Freak Reviews

August 7, 2016
If you're a fan of gore and horror, this movie is for you. The acting is better than expected. The Gore is not as robust as "From Beyond" or "Reanimator." You genuinely understand why things happen as they unfold and it works. The biggest mistake is to show the creature's face on the cover of the movie. It ruins the reveal.
June 14, 2016
Jeffrey Comb inherits a castle
½ October 8, 2015
Surprisingly good for an oldie, especially a straight to dvd release. While the monstrous behavior of the freak gives us the thrills, I can't help but think the true horror of this movie was barely acknowledged in how the freak came to be.
½ July 3, 2015
Pretty dope horror movie from Stuart Gordon. Another early great from Full Moon. It was a lot darker than I was expecting.
December 25, 2014
perfect atmosphere, perfect monster, good movie. one of my favs
August 21, 2014
I'm a big fan of Gordon and Combs. One of the better films in the Full Moon canon.
August 18, 2014
Fun and gruesome monster movie.
½ July 9, 2014
My first viewing of Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak starring regular actor Jeffrey Combs. A solid and entertaining mid 90s straight to video horror title.
March 1, 2014
So-so. The characters are alright, Combs being the highlight. The story is a bit bland, but interesting. The effects are fun and gory, and the make up is gross. The pacing is a bit off, and it gets dull at points, but it's above average Full Moon quality.
February 9, 2014
Jeffrey Combs inherits an Italian castle, but little does he know the son of the previous owner is still in the cellar - he's a brutish, deformed and sexually frustrated freak. It's a bit dull in places and absolutely horrible in others, but fairly enjoyable.
½ July 23, 2013
Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak went straight to video in 1995 without much support from the horror community, but in the years past it seems to have grown a better following. It's actually one of Stuart Gordon's better films when it comes to the performances. The way that everything is set up and the performances that Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton give are heads and tails above what they've done with Gordon in the past. Not to say that their performances weren't good previously, but not quite as good as in this one. This also has the look and feel of an old-fashioned Italian giallo, despite it being filmed in 1995. The monster is pretty good too. Overall, it's a much better entry into the genre than most people give it credit for. I'm glad that some people out there recognize it now as such. It deserves it.
½ July 9, 2013
Very effective mid 90's horror--Nice,gory,intense and tragic!!
June 5, 2013
I surprisingly loved Castle Freak. It was very atmospheric and definitely didn't pull any punches. The freak's face is really grisly and the gore is really gross. The freak also runs around naked with his junk cut off for the entire movie which definitely takes serious balls as a filmmaker.
There's definitely a few cheesy parts but they were really easy for me to look past, because the rest of the movie was so awesome.
February 4, 2013
Much more boring than I remembered. Interesting flick, but goes at a leisurely pace and nothing really happens. Still one of the better Full Moon movies though.
½ February 1, 2013
A rarity for the 1990's, CASTLE FREAK is a classic throwback to the bygone era of Gothic Horror that follows in the grand tradition of the Hammer and Universal pictures. Directed by the great Stuart Gordon of RE-ANIMATOR fame, CASTLE FREAK follows the Reilly's as they move into their family's beautiful Italian villa, only to discover that the castle is also home to a hideously deformed creature that lives deep within the dungeon walls. Gordon brings together genre favorites Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton once again, who do a fine job in handling the agony and grief of a war-torn couple that are dealing the death of their young son. The shadowy corridors and decrepit crypts found throughout the Italian castle set an ominous mood, themselves, and allow Gordon the tools he needs to carefully craft his creeping terror and timely suspense. Much applause is also in order for the frightening performance put forth by Jonathan Fuller as the freak. Horrifying as he may be, Fuller also remains expressly human, and in time, he becomes a pitiful and sympathetic monster. The full-body makeup designs created by Optic Nerve are also very well done and extremely believable. This is Full Moon's finest film, and another excellent achievement in Gothic Horror from renown director Stuart Gordon!

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
January 10, 2013
It's like someone got an old video camera for their birthday and went on Holiday to a dust European town. Except that it's not even that much fun.
½ November 19, 2012
so disgusting. a gross feast for you eyes.
½ October 27, 2012
A family inherits a large castle in Italy and realize that a badly mutilated man who supposedly died as a child lives there too. Decent film but this is no Re-Animator despite the Stuart Gordon and Jeffry Coombs reunion.
½ October 7, 2012
Stuart gordons most serious adaptation of H.P. love craft. enjoyable
September 9, 2012