Castle Freak Reviews

• Mar 17, 2021

I'm lovin' the mean old lady - but what's she feeding? Whatever it is, Jeffrey Combs and his blind daughter have inherited it! Good use of tension with that slow build and use of close-up, not the full reveal, of the monster. Lovely cat bit, but that thumb bit is horrible. A step above the usual Full Moon fare, due to the story - violet, tragic, touching - and Gordon's accomplished, controlled direction.

• May 03, 2020

Dudes a total freak.

Dudes a total freak.

• Oct 15, 2019

I was looking forward to watching this after I saw it on The 50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen (Amazon Streaming) but the bad acting and minimal back story just didn't do it for me.

• Jul 30, 2019

An interesting premise and Stuart Gordon provides some atmosphere but it never amounts to much more than a B level gore movie. Horror fans will find some elements they like but everyone else can avoid this one.

• Mar 31, 2019

What seems to escape many viewers and reviewers about this dark, tragic story is just how deep it is. Spoilers ahead so proceed with caution, the depravity of the Duchess and the lifelong punishment to someone who had little to do with her anger beyond being the progeny of the source of her rage paints an even more horrific and pitiful picture. Looking beyond the appearance of the 'freak', we see a tortured, unfortunate man that knows nothing beyond cruelty at the hands of his own mother. My criticism to the story is the strange connection between Reilly and the Duchess (rather slap-dash if I'm honest as it doesn't make much sense considering the legality of it all) or how the hell John didn't connect any dots at all and the lack of any sympathy toward Giorgio once the truth is found out considering that the Freak tried desperately to communicate who he was to Rebecca at the end, only chaining people up out of either fear of them leaving or not knowing what else to do. The freak is a person who was locked in a cellar from the age of five, mercilessly beaten, had his tongue and penis cut off by his own mother, and yet, he's the 'monster' of the film. Certainly he did horrible things but I see this as more of a tragedy than horror and I greatly enjoyed this film.

• Feb 09, 2018

Underrated, in my opinion.

Underrated, in my opinion.

• Oct 09, 2017

Good creature-type flick. Classic Full Moon! I would definitely watch this again.

• Aug 07, 2016

If you're a fan of gore and horror, this movie is for you. The acting is better than expected. The Gore is not as robust as "From Beyond" or "Reanimator." You genuinely understand why things happen as they unfold and it works. The biggest mistake is to show the creature's face on the cover of the movie. It ruins the reveal.

• Jun 14, 2016

Jeffrey Comb inherits a castle

Jeffrey Comb inherits a castle

• Oct 08, 2015

Surprisingly good for an oldie, especially a straight to dvd release. While the monstrous behavior of the freak gives us the thrills, I can't help but think the true horror of this movie was barely acknowledged in how the freak came to be.