Castle in the Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Castle in the Sky Reviews

November 27, 2016
this was a fantastic movie! Griping and interesting all throughout the film, a couple of twists that I didn't see coming ! Just a beautiful adventure story that really takes you on a journey! I would watch with me whole family!
October 11, 2016
It's sloppily written, but Studio Ghibli's debut feature, "Castle in the Sky," will be a pleasant diversion for those seeking beautiful animation.
September 23, 2016
I'm a Miyazaki fan and this was a great treat by Miyzaki.
September 21, 2016
This is one of my favorite of Miyazaki's films.
September 19, 2016
A beautifully animated and engaging film, it is definatly hurt by the English dub, not enough to detract from the magic of the visuals, but enough to wish it were a silent film. Must find a subtitled version and reevaluate.
September 13, 2016
One of Miyazaki's richest movies.
August 26, 2016
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Es entretenido, los niños seguro lo disfrutarán; con personajes muy bien trabajados envueltos en una curiosa y tierna trama, aunque como latinoamericano me costó tomarme la película enserio gracias al peculiar nombre de la isla "LAPUTA".
August 15, 2016
Wow! Amazing one.....
½ July 3, 2016
I remember seeing Laputa originally as a child, and even now twenty years later the sense of awe and wonder is still there. That says a lot about the timeless and fantastical nature of Miyazaki's films.
June 23, 2016
this is amazing now my favorite studio is studio ghibli
June 12, 2016
Miyazaki strikes again! This adventure of a young boy and girl looking for a forgotten kingdom is breath taking. The animation is wonderful and the voice casting (in english) is one of the few great Japanese to English translations that are great.
March 27, 2016
Es sin duda la dorada película de Studio Ghibli. Gráficamente excepcional ¡Qué dibujos! manifestando gran creatividad: sus estructuras, máquinas, fue evidente que imaginación sobró al momento de su creación. Es una historia que no es ni tan Totoro ni tan Chihiro, es la mezcla ideal entre lo sencillo y lo complejo. Es una película íntegramente excelente: una de las mejores del ánime y del cine animado mundial. Cinco estrellas!!!!!
March 24, 2016
10 out of 10:

It's the visually stunning and breathtaking animation, charm, and sense of adventure that truly makes Castle in the Sky a masterpiece.
March 1, 2016
"Tenko ne Shiro Raputa" .# Laputa Castle in the sky# A must-see masterpiece.
February 23, 2016
I recently first encountered Hayao Miyazak with his masterwork "Spirited Away," and I was blown away by the pure imagination and genius of his work.

Nothing possibly could've prepared me for the stroke of genius that was to come when I first watched "Castle In the Sky." This isn't just the very best of his work that I've seen, it's one of the very best animated films ever made.
½ February 7, 2016
Laputa has slightly rockier storytelling than the other Ghibli films and is much slower paced, but it's none the less worth a watch. With breathtaking visuals and more creativity and imagination than most movies.
February 2, 2016
A classic. The best Ghibli film. The intro: excelent, wonderfull images. And maybe: the best japan film of the decade. This movie is art and maybe: maybe, maybe... the best film japanese in the history. Perfect score!!!!!
January 31, 2016
A beautiful and fantastic journey. One of my all time favorites.
January 26, 2016
You either love Studio Ghibli or you don't, that said, some are far superior than others. Laputa Castle in the Sky is definitely one of the better Ghibli's, its influence is evident of later works but I don't think it has been bettered (maybe only in colour). Definitely a new favourite for me, quite close behind Tortorro and Spirited Away!
January 16, 2016
Interesting setup but lack of focus and engagement ruins this.

A young girl, Sheeta, escapes from the clutches of some mysterious pirate-like villains. She ends up in a small village and is befriended by young boy, Pazu. However, the villains track them down, as do a variety of other people who seem keen to get their hands on the girl, and soon Sheeta and Pazu are fleeing for their lives...

Pretty much your standard Hayao Miyazaki movie: intriguing and original setup, making the first few scenes quite interesting, followed by random, unfocused plot development and lack of character depth or development. Just becomes a mindless adventure story without any point.

Animation is so-so. You can't put this down to being made in the 1980s - Disney films of the 1940s and 50s had better animation.

The linear, rambling storyline and lack of thinking required should make this ideal for kids, though the long duration of the movie and jumbled plot might be too much for their concentration spans. This is certainly not a movie for intelligent adults.