Castle in the Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Castle in the Sky Reviews

September 13, 2017
An earlier entry from master animator Hayao Miyazaki that captures the wonder & adventure of two children in search for a castle & civilization in the sky..

No human has ever been able to reach Laputa (Castle in the Sky) but the girl carries an item & heritage that can get them there.

Filled with mystery & terrific animation, it truly is an exceptional film. An engrossing picture that is a delight for children & adults alike.
September 3, 2017
It may be cheesier than Miyazaki is known for, but it has plenty of humor and visually enchanting fantasy to make up for it, giving fun action and a sweeping sense of adventure.
August 29, 2017
Even before Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli was considered the international success, "Castle in the Sky" predicted that animation would become a domineering force in film industry. It has a balance between both kids and adults: a fun animated period piece with a subtle environmentalist message. The characters have a purpose, an ultimate twist, and the worldbuilding is almost as beautiful as a classic sci-fi film. Miyazaki has made a creative place to live in, and a wonderful epic to see.
½ August 28, 2017
A more action-oriented Miyazaki effort, Castle in the Sky has a few stunning sequences and some beautiful animation to offer, but ultimately fails where Studio Ghibli usually succeeds with flying colors- in the character and story departments
August 27, 2017
Perhaps the only Ghibli feature you could accurately call a "romp." This is a clear, no strings attached adventure movie, and a really really good one at that. Miyazaki borrows heavily from his excellent TV series Future Boy Conan - which probably won't mean anything to most people - but obviously condenses the length to a reasonable running time. Overall it's just a lot of fun.
½ August 27, 2017
Another beautifully entertaining masterpiece that carries the Ghibli heartening magic from "NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind." It's more exhilarating and more fun to the beauty. Even though nastiness was added, it doesn't affect the strong power of this great anime film. (A)

(Full review TBD)
August 26, 2017
As always an excellent Studio Ghibli film!
½ August 10, 2017
Good movie.
Rating: 7.6/10.
July 28, 2017
an unforgettable movie
May 21, 2017
Great story, great characters and a great story!
½ May 16, 2017
Castle in the Sky has weaker main characters, but the villain is solid and Captain Dola is one of Ghibli's funniest and most endearing characters. The story here is excellent, so well told and with a great ecological message. The score is simply beautiful, the world building is extraordinary and the animation is artistic, meticulous in detail and simply mesmerizing leading to one of the best animated films ever in my opinion. It is such an epic, grand adventure that is one of Miyazaki's best and such a terrific first feature for wonderful Studio Ghibli.
April 24, 2017
It may be because I loved this as a child, but it is a great film.
½ March 25, 2017
I have seen plenty of animated movies since the late 80s, but very few stand up to this film's originality and adventurousness. And why stop at animated movies? I mean, "Avatar" is fine and everything, but I'll take this. Miyazaki has a unique gift for storytelling (and characters). Watching movies like this with my kids has been a gift.
February 13, 2017
The steampunk mix over an environmentalist theme comes off artistic instead of preachy and the score is phenomenal, really enjoyed this film.
December 27, 2016
Even amazing in English, though I still prefer it in Japanese.
November 27, 2016
this was a fantastic movie! Griping and interesting all throughout the film, a couple of twists that I didn't see coming ! Just a beautiful adventure story that really takes you on a journey! I would watch with me whole family!
October 11, 2016
It's sloppily written, but Studio Ghibli's debut feature, "Castle in the Sky," will be a pleasant diversion for those seeking beautiful animation.
September 23, 2016
I'm a Miyazaki fan and this was a great treat by Miyzaki.
September 21, 2016
This is one of my favorite of Miyazaki's films.