Castle of Blood (Danza macabra)(Coffin of Terror)(Dimensions in Death)(Tombs of Terror) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Castle of Blood (Danza macabra)(Coffin of Terror)(Dimensions in Death)(Tombs of Terror) Reviews

½ June 15, 2016
Not bad. A little corny, but some fun old school chills. The inclusion of Poe in the opening was pretty cool too.
December 11, 2015
Really atmospheric, creepy, chiller of old. Basically the tale of a writer who takes a bet to stay a night in a haunted castle(nothing original there), only to find out the the castle is inhabited by murderous ghost who need blood to return every year on All Soul's Eve. Really enjoyed this movie, and it had my attention the whole way through. Suspenseful and atmospheric. The don't make movies like this anymore.
September 10, 2015
Another middle of the road selection for this Halloween season, but still has some undeniable charms with the crumbling Gothic castle settings and what have you.

Rental?
½ January 9, 2015
Movie with a lot of interesting ideas that has a writer accepting a dare to spend a night in his haunted castle. It's inhabited by a bunch of ghosts/zombies/vampires that need blood to survive! During this, we get back stories on the ghosts, and how they turned out that way. Interesting, but too talky and leaves a lot of unanswered questions.
½ March 21, 2014
Well executed old and very dark house horror--A Genuinely Creepy Miasma!!
June 16, 2012
Atmospheric and creepy little haunted house movie. The Italian title is best--"Danza Macabra"
flixsterman
½ April 5, 2012
A haunted castle with all the trappings. Eerie fog. Dense cobwebs. Human skulls. Dead lesbians.
January 4, 2012
Love this film! Perfect Gothic horror atmosphere.
½ October 1, 2011
A real Gothic horror classic loosely based on Poe's "Dance Macabre." This one's filled with spooky atmosphere and a few genuinely chilling scenes, not to mention the drop-dead gorgeous Barbara Steele at her absolute prime in a series of revealing 19th century outfits. The acting is suitably melodramatic in what should rightfully be required Halloween viewing, though not necessarily for the whole family. This one's pretty racy for 1964, and it manages to out-Hammer Hammer/Amicus when it comes to ghostly/vampiric eroticism. If you like the old Hammer flicks, you're going to LOVE this sometimes-silly but consistently entertaining romp through tombs, a cobwebby castle, and the phantasmagorical instant replay of murder and blood-sucking glee! It's a wonderful thing that someone unearthed this creepy classic from whatever vault in which it reposed.
Ryan M
June 12, 2011
5.7/10

I absolutely adore Gothic Horror when it's done right, and in terms of historical films, it almost always is. The 1960's weren't all that bad for horror, especially when there are movies as great as "Psycho" and as good as "Black Sunday". If you liked either of those two films, then you might just want to check out the film I am reviewing, which is called "Castle of Blood". It's an entertaining work of Gothic Horror that I believe some will adore; not only for the work that goes on her narratively and thematically, but also because of the sheer atmosphere and style exercised.

I can't say I recommend this film, although I do have a great level of respect for it. It is what it is; a solid Gothic Horror flick that isn't chock-full of spectacular or unforgettable imagery. I was open to either liking it or loving it, but alas it feels sort of underwhelming. It's a familiar movie with a familiar set-up. I didn't expect to love it, and it's good to see that in spite of its unoriginality, it doesn't stink to high heaven. However, there are things to like and things to dislike; and they both come in almost equal amounts. The good might just defeat the bad, in some cases.

Man bets that he can stay a night in a local haunted house and live. He places this bet with Edgar Allen Poe himself. Man goes to house. Man meets a beautiful spirit (Barbara Steele). Man is in for a night of pure hell, in which he discovers many things, one of them including his connection with the spirits who refuse to rest in this castle.

The narrative is simplistic, and right there I might as well have described enough. There have been films before this one to expand upon such a premise, and there are also better films too. Maybe you should see those films first.

That's not to say that I don't like "Castle of Blood". It's a pretty decent flick. It's just not one that I would watch again with glee, although if I absolutely had to, it would be entertaining if not disappointing all over again.

What I liked about "Castle of Blood" were the simple things. The acting is solid, and Ms. Barbara Steele is gorgeous. If you're as big of an admirer of the actress as I am, then maybe you should see this. After all; Barbara Steele might as well be all you can possibly ask for when it comes to movies like these, even if they are, as I said, not as good as they want to be.

However, a movie this well-made, perhaps did not need to be made at all. The story gives us little reason to be involved, aside from the great little atmospheric moments involved. In short, there is great direction going on here; just not great story-telling, character building, or anything else particularly worth mentioning, or remembering. But if you're looking for a couple good spooks and scares at night, then "Castle of Blood" is competent entertainment for the horror lover in you. It's not a bad horror film, like "Friday the 13th", and it's not a good one, like "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". But it is a decent one, and really, that must count for something.
bbcfloridabound
June 6, 2011
Pretty good 1964 Movie, about a writer who while sitting and talking with Edgar Allen Poe in England accepts a bet from another man in the room to spend the night in his castle, the Castle of Blood on all souls night when the dead shall rise at midnight and live again by seeking the blood of those who are alive. For 1964 its worth every bit of 4 stars.
May 20, 2011
Really quite eerie. Similar to 'The Haunting' only badly dubbed. But found it enjoyable.
½ January 10, 2011
I know I saw this movie, why can't I remember it? I really want to see this movie again, it stars one of my favourite actresses, Barbara Steele.
November 11, 2010
all hail barbara steele! and poe, of course. i loved the slowness of the pace and the story itself. it took me a while to get into the story, to be honest, all that blah blah at the beginning at the inn, but once they got into the carriage, it was just pure magic!
½ August 4, 2010
"House On Haunted Hill" style chiller starring genre favorite Barbara Steele. Alan Foster, a journalist bets writer Edgar Allan Poe that he can survive the night in a haunted castle. The only problem this particular night is the one night of the year in which the ghosts there need human blood in order that they may go on existing for another year.
Storywise this movie isnt great, and there seems to be too many scenes which consist of people walking around the house- (its like this movie predated Gus Van Sant's craptacular trio of "Elephant", 'Gerry" and "Last Days".)
The atmospheric black and white cinematopraphy and creepy production design are the real stars of the film, resulting in some great chills and thrills-if you stuck with it, as well as a very realistic scene of a snake being decapitated- and some nudity and lesbianism. Just make sure you have a pot of extra strong black coffee brewed to help you through the duller parts.
October 1, 2009
One of the less preposterous efforts to redo a Poe story with Poe written in as a character, this Italian-made film sports Barbara Steele, a British actress that worked almost exclusively in Italian horror. Originally titled "Danza Macabra", it doesn't quite rise above limp dialog and cheap sets. For Steele completists.
August 25, 2009
Boring crap. I don't see what could be appealing in this movie in 2009, apart from the historical value.
And Margarete Robsahm, obviously. The plot is quite ridiculous, acting is bad, dialogues and effects are below average. And on top of it all you have the shameful killing of a real snake, an act presented in the movie as the proof of some whacky metaphysical theory.
August 3, 2009
A cool ghost/vampire flick by Antonio Margheriti. I know him more for his Giallo films but this film definetly featured some creepy stuff given the time it was released. It really is a great story idea and Barbara Steele gives maybe her best performance. Worth a watch if you like the old gothic vampire flicks. Oh, and is it me or does Georges Riviere look a lot like Burt Lancaster in this film...
½ July 3, 2009
The problem with this film is that Antonio Margheriti made an art film, but Riz Ortolani scored a Corman Poe movie. Just goes to show how much an inappropriate score can hurt a movie. All the same it was an enjoyable and original take on the gothic haunted house story, predating Mario Bava's great film Lisa and the Devil in its metaphysical take on sex, death, and hints of necrophilia. The cinematography was good for the most part, but at times I found it to be too bright for its own good. I almost wish Margheriti could've hired Bava to photograph the film!

All in all a solid gothic chiller with much to recommend about it, and one that's more thoughtful than most horror films of the day. I'm interested in seeing Margheriti's second attempt (Web of the Spider), though by all accounts it's pretty lackluster in comparison. Surely it'll be worth it just to see the master of intense acting (Klaus Kinski) trying his hand at playing a most intense artist (Poe)!
April 26, 2009
A surrealistic, atmospheric, gothic minor masterpiece that evokes a similar feeling to Bava's gothic masterworks. Throw in Barabara Steele and Edgar Allen Poe, and you have a nice little gem of 60s horror. Margheriti sculpts schadows into a chilling chiaroscuro that provides loads of creepiness on a relavitly non-existent budget. No special effects or gore--just a simple gothic story that blurs the line between life and death.