Casualties of War Reviews

• Dec 18, 2020

In the snowy winter of 1990 I cycled into my local town to rent out Casualties of War. I took an incredible risk that evening as 6 months earlier I was in a car wreck and spent 2 months in hospital. Anyhow, for what little back story is worth, the film had an incredible impact on me after watching. For the next few years I would occasionally ask different folks why we had such wars. I was very intrigued. The film truly does sent a powerful message of the horrors of such conflicts. Penn and Fox are great actors and I also liked John C Reilly's performance. The ending might not be to everybodys taste but overall an unforgettable film. 10 out of 10 for me.

• Oct 16, 2020

tells the truth about the obscenity that was the vietnam war

tells the truth about the obscenity that was the vietnam war

• May 20, 2020

Not a fan of war movies but Michael J. Fox was great in this movie. The movie itself is based on a terrible true story. Very well done and very moving. I am so sorry the girl died, however; the rapists got what they deserved.

• Feb 04, 2020

De Palma's harrowing tale of rape & murder of a young Vietnamese girl at the hands of a group of US soldiers during the Vietnam War.

• Nov 13, 2019

Despite not gaining enough recognition, Casualties of War shows the shocking story about U.S. troops who captured and neutralized a young Vietnamese woman. Michael J. Fox knows how to play a dramatic character like Max Eriksson, while Sean Penn is good at playing bad guys, as always. As for Thuy Thu Le, she stole the movie by portraying a victim of America's involvement during the Vietnam War.

• Nov 10, 2019

The events portrayed in this movie strike a grim and deep emotional chord. I'm impressed by the performances of the all star cast before some of them became the huge Hollywood stars that they became. Sean Penn puts in an especially believable performance as the jerk rapist sergeant. John Leguizamo and John C. Reilly did a very good job. Michael J. Fox put in a "good" performance, but I am not quite sure this movie couldn't have been a level above with an even better performer. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of MJF in the right roles, but I felt that his style here made him seem like a lightweight in this role. The moral conviction of the character Michael plays I appreciate very much, but Michael didn't seem like the right man for the job. He left something more to be desired. I didn't feel this way about any of the other performances in the movie. There was a moment when Michael screamed "NO" very dramatically and I could not discern the sound of it from when he yelled the same exact thing in Back to the Future when he thought Dr. Brown got shot. For real. There's a chance that I'll watch this movie again, but because it's so disturbing and grim, it will probably be a good long while. It was otherwise very worth watching though.

• Aug 19, 2019

it was good stylish and touching

it was good stylish and touching

• Apr 22, 2019

It just about sums up the moronic US army's stance on morality. No wonder they don't win wars. Idiots.

• Mar 14, 2019

A horrific crime is given an upright, but a bit homespun treatment as a Hollywood melodrama; nevertheless, there are memorable moments and some excellent performances.

• Apr 15, 2018

Harrowing metaphor for the USA's brutal unwarranted slaughter of 3 million Vietnamese.