Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat Reviews

½ June 8, 2017
Not that bad, but still much too creepy and meh at best to be considered any better than just okay.
June 6, 2017
I'm a fan of this movie and it's a silly movie my favorite character in the movie is Lawrence, I thought Lawrence was sarcastic and funny he made a good Bad guy or at least he was acting like one Alec Baldwin played Lawrence! There was adult humor in this movie hay I could watch this movie all day!
½ June 2, 2017
This movie was one of my favorites as a kid, but looking back at it, now it looks terrible.
The creepy CGI effects did not age well at all. Mike Myers, while well meaning, does a terrible job as "the cat". All of the other actors are like wooden boards, except for the real estate CEO, who was so over the top it was pretty funny. Unfortunately, he wasn't enough to save the movie.
½ June 1, 2017
Not as entertaining or kid-friendly as it wants to be.
May 27, 2017
This is below The Burning Medallion Of Badness, this is below 0 stars.
This is literally the core in the movie underground.
This film is so bad that it nearly made me stop reading the book and i love the book.
I didn't, i don't and i won't love this.
Let's just get this over with.
Story:1|10
Visuals:2|10
Characters:2|10
Overall:1.2|1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000(10 wasn't enough at all.).
½ May 24, 2017
There are LITERALLY ZERO redeeming qualities about this film. From the miscast of Mike Myers as the Cat to the bad dialogue to the non existent plot, I am angry I wasted my time with this piece of sh*t.
½ May 20, 2017
I will never go to Universal Studios if this abomination will be there. Jesus.
½ May 2, 2017
I would rather die than watch this garbage!
April 12, 2017
I would write an actual review, but I don't want to be typing at my desk for the next week or two.
½ March 20, 2017
so bad how could people be giving this 5 stars
March 19, 2017
How can you hate this film.
March 4, 2017
This movie is a piece of garbage. I hated this film a few years after I liked it. Yeah, I used to like this film, and every time I did I would always read the book, and every time I read the book, I the more I realized that this film is complete garbage. The writing is horrible, the acting is emotionless, and it is a complete insult to Dr. Seuss. How can you turn an innocent children's story into a disgusting, offensive, dirty, hateful disaster? Having read the book as a child and loving it, I absolutely despise this movie. It shouldn't even have Dr. Seuss's name in the title. So many nasty and inappropriate jokes. Such underdeveloped characters. Mike Myers is a good actor, but this is his absolute worst performance. The Cat himself is
freaky-looking and annoying as crud. The Things look scary too. The moral of the source material is that it's okay to break the rules a little as long as it doesn't go too far. How many times do you see that in the media? Here they just exploited it like crazy. I know that children can act great. Look at Haley Joel Osment in the Sixth Sense. They just need proper direction, and clearly Dakota Fanning and Spencer Breslin didn't receive that. Their characters are so uninteresting and bland. The product design is nice, but it's clear that directors and writers didn't respect Seuss's work.
February 28, 2017
Human language has not yet evolved to the point of being able to express how profoundly amazing this movie is. The closest thing to a human communication medium that can explain this movie is a series of colors which tickle the brain and release endorphins in the pleasure center causing a hallucinatory psychosis of understanding. An art defining masterpiece. Why this has a 10% is a prime example of how moronic the human race has become.
February 27, 2017
Unfunny not well acted, The cat in the hat it's a horrible verion of the Dr.Seuss version i hate this movie nad i will never see again .
½ February 25, 2017
This is an absolute disgrace to Dr Seuss, and his name should not be associated with it. This film takes no care in sticking to the books story or message, and it totally tarnishes. It is full of cheap gags and advertisements, which make you cringe. Mike Myers is painfully unfunny. I will go as far to say that this is one of the worst films I have ever seen.
February 23, 2017
"This may come across annoying to some, but to me, it comes across as a guilty pleasure."
February 21, 2017
Best movie I have ever seen, 10/10. The Cat in the Hat took me on an emotional journey in which I laughed and cried. After watching this film over a hundred times I have realised Mike Meyers uses the cat as a vehicle for his own pain.
February 20, 2017
If you think that this will just be like 2000's the grinch, you're very wrong. This is the precursor to those stupid party comedy movies of today, like sisters and office Christmas party. There is so much wrong with this movie, but I will admit, it could have been worse. However, that's like saying, "I did get hit with a piano, but at least I didn't get hit with two." Mike Myers plays the cat like he's Austin powers in a cat suit. That works when he's playing Austin powers, but when he is trying to conjure up such a beloved children's character, it doesn't really work. Alec Baldwin plays his character like he voices Dennis in the spongebob movie. Again, in this situation, that doesn't work. And who was Dakota fanning's costume designer? Barbara billingsley? I mean, really...
Anyway, the biggest problem I had with this movie was the script. It's completely different than the grinch. The grinch's script has clever humor that kids and adults will find funny, while also being even more heartwarming than the original story. This has none of that. In the scene where Conrad, sally and the cat are jumping on the couch, Sally says it's like being at the circus. Guess what the cat says in response? "Yeah, except without all of the trashy animals and the clowns with hepatitis!" What?!?!?!?! I'm all for watching kids movies with adult jokes thrown in, but that's just crossing the line. The muppets, Sesame Street, even shrek doesn't go that far. If you make an adaption of a beloved book, you'd better retain just about everything that made it succeed. It retains the basic plot, but the cat is perceived as a mean-spirited, lazy party animal. Oh yeah, and guess what they play during the cleaning up scene? Getting better by the Beatles. Really? The writers must've just looked at the title of that song, and thought, "this'll be a great tune for that clean up scene!" The song is about a man who is getting over his angry side because he finally has a girl that makes it all better. Yeah, nothing to do with the movie. Some parts are funny, the layout and design of the town looks very believable as a Dr. Seuss-Esque town, but mostly, it's just a frenetic, raunchy, desperate measure to try to overtake the grinch. I hope spencer Breslin and Dakota fanning have disowned this movie. Also, Dr. Seuss's widow refused to let any of her late husband's works be adapted to live action after watching this. I couldn't agree more.
February 20, 2017
As a longtime fan of the late great Dr. Suess, me, my sisters, and my Dad were all excited that there was going to be a movie adaptation of the beloved kid's book of the same name. However, all three of us kids were disappointed to find out that the film was filled and I mean filled with many inappropriate jokes, especially jokes that were deemed more suitable for a PG-13 rated film. I'm pleased that I didn't see this film in the theater, because it would've been a waste of money to see it in the theater and we would've ended up feeling disappointed wasting our good money on a hunk of drek like this one.
February 17, 2017
This movie is fucking retarded