Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat Reviews

½ June 29, 2008
Not good, wasnt impressed
½ June 9, 2006
If I really had to think about it, this might very well be the worst film I've ever seen. It's not enough that it is atrociously obnoxious and annoying, but what really gets me is how badly they screwed up in adapting such a simple, classic, and straightforward story. Sure, I understand that they had to pad it out, being that it's live action and that the source material is really brief, but still...THIS is the end result?!?!

The execution is just ridiculously over the top, in your face, and annoying, Mike Meyers, who is really just playing a hyper version of himself in a cat costume and makeup, makes me want to carve my eyes out with a rusty spoon. I really don't have that much problem with him in general, but he really went off the deep end here, and I have no idea what he was thinking. I really don't remember much of Alec Baldwin's performance, but I'm sure it's something he wishes wasn't on his resume. All I remember from Breslin and Fanning is that they spent a fair amount of time frowning at Meyers, as if they knew they were in a giant pile of crap.

This is dumb, vile, and one of the biggest slaps to the face of Seuss and his legacy that I've seen, and that's without considering that I wasn't interested in seeing this in the first place, but just happened to because I was at school, the semester was almost over, and the teacher didn't apparently have any respect for our intelligence and thought we, a bunch of high schoolers, would enjoy watching one of her kids's movies since she apparently didn't have anything more on our level, or just didn't trust us to watch anything PG-13 or higher since her rep would be on the line. What a bunch of crap.

The ONLY thing I can really give this movie in the way of a compliment is that the look is decent, and there's some okay art direction/set design, but even my enjoyment of that is sullied since it's being used in the most lazy and poor attempt to cash in on something great just ofr money. Also, the fact that some of the cast actually managed to recover from this is some sort of miracle. Avoid this one at all costs, especially if you'd prefer to have your childhood not molested.
August 14, 2012
One of the biggest Hollywood tragedies of the last decade.
½ July 31, 2012
Wanna see Mike Myers completely and utterly humiliate himself doing one atrocious and annoying impersonation after another? Then this movie is for you. Completely awful in every regards and a horrible adaptation of Dr. Seuss' book.
½ March 17, 2012
June 23, 2011
Quite funny. Love thing 1 and thing 2!
March 22, 2011
A truly horrible film, it has no appealing moments and was gross for a kids movie.
michael e.
½ January 3, 2011
It was a lot more like a dr. seuss book then the grinch live action movie and for that it works, and unlike most people who hated mike myers in this movie i liked him in it
October 6, 2006
I think everyone can or will agree that The Cat in the Hat is an awful, awful movie. Whenever Hollywood/The Powers That Be decide to make a full-length movie out of a kids book that takes 6 minutes to read it never ends well. Mike Myers' tolerability runs out about a half hour in (presuming you've got any for the man), Kelly Preston plays a zombie milf and oddly, Dakota Fanning is actually amusing. Alec Baldwin has a few random moments but for the most part is painful to watch as you can actually hear his career dying, the only thing that makes his performace tolerable is knowing that he atones on 30 Rock 3 years later. The Cat in the Hat actually has a few enjoyably odd moments (that infomercial was actually funny) and it looks kind of neat but beyond that you're in for 78 minutes of pain.
November 6, 2010
Just ok at best, but I am not the target demographic!
Movie Monster
½ August 6, 2010
Oh no! Seeing this movie is one of the very few things I regret.

Whose frickin' idea was to make a movie out of one of Dr Seuss' most famed books, add double entendres, potty humor, sex references, and a very suggestive Paris Hilton cameo? Yes, the chick in the party scene was Paris Hilton.

This movie is only useful to use as scratch paper (that way you can write another horrible movie) and a bullet to kill yourself. My sister got the movie for her fourth birthday from a friend. I honestly think they where just tring to get rid of the movie. Maybe they tried to give my sister a disease.

DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE!!! YOU'LL TOTALLY REGRET IT!!! Your kids may enjoy it but if you're a sophisticated adult, you won't.
½ July 28, 2010
i did not like it, not one bit. C-
½ January 14, 2010
Take a crap! Pick it up with your hands, and put a white hat with red stripes on it..... wait, that's what were watching isn't it?
½ March 4, 2008
What a minute? Did you hear that sound? Oh, that's just Dr. Seuss rolling over in his grave over the rape of his most beloved character The Cat in the Hat. Mike Myers, the unfunniest funny guy in Hollywood screws the pooch on this deal. Myers, who apparently can only do a Scottish accent that would make Sean Connery punch him in the face. You may want to compare this to How the Grinch Stole Christmas and the only way i can explain the difference is in this way: Jim Carrey becomes The Grinch. The Cat in the Hat becomes Mike Myers. This is on the list of worst films ever personally seen by myself. The only person in this film that was worth a damn is Alec Baldwin. yes, Alec Baldwin is in this. And Paris Hilton. And that gay guy on Will and Grace who is really gay. No, I don't watch Will and Grace, but visited IMDb. Honest.

Yes, it sucks.
½ June 11, 2008
I HATED this movie
January 17, 2007
i have to say, while this certainly wasnt a great movie by any means, it was better than many led me to believe. it was horrible in some ways, but totally watchable. kelly preston was awsome as usual, and by the end i didnt feel like i totally wasted my time. not good, but could have been worse.
½ October 14, 2007
i do love this film i have watched it sooo many times it is the best film for children its funny and stupid and has a point as well
½ June 22, 2007
We all knew that a live-action "Cat in the Hat" movie was coming, but they should've put more love and imagination from the book. They should've covered every event from the book; even to the point of rhyming a some of the Cat's dialogue. A lot of the cat's contraptions and tricks from the book weren't here. They could've easily fit in the plot of "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back" with the pink snow-making machine. The costume and make-up effects of the Cat (played by Mike Myers), were well done; they got that right; although I recall the cat in the book being a tall scrawny gentlemanly creature, not some fat fluffy obnoxious thing. Mike Myers' characterization needed more polishing; I whiffed bits of Fat Bastard and Doctor Evil in his performance.

They fleshed out the details of the kids and their mother much more, including what the mother was doing at her work during the day. I liked the funny Asian Nanny character who was quickly put away. There was a great plot of the mother having a dinner party at her home that evening, which heightened the panic when the Cat trashed the house.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 were like little kids, and should've done all the bad things like they did in the book. I liked the kids trying to hide the cat whenever Alec Baldwin's character came to visit. There were some "Fun" musical numbers and side-entertainment. Many of the humour wasn't suitable for kids, with suggestions of sex, violence and murder; very against the spirit of Seuss.

I didn't see the need for them to leave the house and go downtown, but it was fun when they entered the Rave club and the Cat dropped his hat in a huge pile of other hats. I enjoyed the extra plot about the neighbour kids birthday party, and them thinking the Cat was a piniata. The house collapsing into the Cat's alternate dimension was a nice addition.

This was a Universal Pictures cash-in on the Dr. Seuss craze after the relative success of The Grinch movie, which was closer to its book.
May 29, 2007