Cat Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cat Run Reviews

½ February 25, 2017
Throwback film to the heyday of 1990s ultra violent Quentin Tarantino ripoffs. Like most of those films, the script is full of attempts at being quirky (D.L. Hughley plays an outspoken legless man), has several overlapping stories, and treats the very gory violence with a comedic touch. The basic story is that Paz Vega, a high end escort, has some incriminating evident that a group of disparate characters are all after. Besides Hughley and Vega, Christopher McDonald (Shooter from "Happy Gilmore) is probably the next most famous of actor in the film. What Tarantino does so well in his films is that he takes a story you've seen a hundred times before and makes it the best version of that story you've ever seen. Tarantino has a very unique voice in his films, but when other filmmakers try to ape that voice, it always comes off as a pale imitation. The best films that came out of the 1990s wave of crime films had their own voice ("Out of Sight," "The Usual Suspects," "Get Shorty," etc.) and were simply unconventional crime films. "Cat Run" is unmistakably a film that's trying to ape Tarantino and suffers for it. However, what the film lacks in originality, it does make up for in enthusiasm. Director John Stockwell gets a fair amount of credit for solid direction of the many action sequences and for keeping the film moving at a brisk pace. But I do have to say that Janet McTeer as a British assassin named Helen, who looks more like a librarian than skilled killer, steals the movie. Nothing brilliant here, but if you're in the mood for an okay Tarantino knockoff, like "Love and a .45" or "Smokin' Aces" you could do worse than this one.
½ September 27, 2016
Like a poor mans Pulp Fiction
September 12, 2016
Completely unbelievable story with unconvincing performances by Alphonso McAuley and Scott Mechlowicz as the novice private detectives who don't have a client but are spending wads of cash so one of them can get laid. Not enough story line to hold your interest and a too pat ending. The assassins are the best thing about this movie. Both had character and were played well by Janet McTeer and Tony Curran. Paz Vega's talent was wasted here.
½ March 21, 2015
Absolutely love funding great movies that never showed up on my radar!!
March 17, 2015
Pretty good for a B flick...
½ August 29, 2014
A loud, ugly and terrible movie that doesn't skillfully juggle its various elements; it throws them violently at your face and calls it edge. I say SKIP IT!!!
June 19, 2014
Excuse me miss, but could you steal someone else's car?

Cat is a high end escort who gets caught in the middle of a political scandal overseas involving an American senator. During her escape process, she stumbles across two European entrepreneurs and uses them to get away. She doesn't anticipate the entrepreneurs starting their own detective agency and using their encounter with her as their first case. Can the two detectives save her?

"Do you girls know each other?"
"No."
"You soon will."

John Stockwell, director of Under Cover, Blue Crush, Turistas, Middle of Nowhere, Dark tide, Dark Tide, and Kid Cannabis, delivers Cat Run (and the upcoming Cat Run 2). The storyline for this picture was actually entertaining and the dialogue was comical and well written. The action scenes were well delivered but the sex was a bit overdone. The cast delivers above average performances and includes Paz Vega, Janet Mc Teer, D. L. Hughley, Tony Curran, Christopher McDonald and Michelle Lombardo.

"Looking at her beasts, I'm thinking milk."
"You do? I look at her titties and think half and half."

I actually came across this film on Netflix and thought the plot sounded worthwhile (and the Netflix rating was higher than I anticipated). I found the characters very humorous and well written and I would definitely watch the sequel. This is a solid action picture with a decent plot, but not overly unique, and mediocre dialogue. I'd watch this once if you haven't seen it.

"What kind of person does that, cut a one armed man's arm off?"

Grade: C+
½ April 26, 2014
Cat Run is a poorly executed, far too ambitious attempt at a buddy cop (detective) black comedy, that falls for nearly every pitfall, struggling to find its true identity.
January 1, 2014
Good movie, because of Paz Vega. She is awesome! Very underrated actress.
December 19, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ December 6, 2013
Goofy film, and not in a good way. it's pretty incoherent and kind of spoofish.
September 7, 2013
I am going to skip this one.
Harlequin68
September 2, 2013
When Julian(Alphonso McAuley) and Anthony(Scott Mechlowicz) open a private detective business in Montenegro of all places, their first case turns out to be trying to find Catalina(Paz Vega) who also just happened to steal Julian's cell phone and Anthony's car and is now having a lot of trouble trying to get out of the country. She is also the last survivor of a massacre wherein she absconded with a hard drive that Carver(Karel Roden) desperately wants back. So, he sends Helen Bingham(Janet McTeer) to get it back for him.

"Cat Run" is a fairly entertaining comic thriller with a very high body count and delusions of a sociopolitical statement. As such, there is nothing here that we have not seen many times before, especially in its convoluted plot. Well, there is the terrific Janet McTeer taking the movie and running with it in a change of pace role as far as it will go. That's got to be worth something, right?
June 20, 2013
It is Paz Vega that is why. But even she could not save this film which was so bad, well so bad it was almost good but did not quite make that turn around the bend.
May 16, 2013
The Villains were awesome. The heroes were adequate. The story was good. The action was well done. All together, a fun ride and well directed. Janet McTeer stole the show.
April 30, 2013
This movie is a great blend of action, suspense and comedy in the tradition of Boondock Saints and Pulp Fiction. Don't let the other reviewers stop you from enjoying this awesome ride.
½ March 7, 2013
A nonsensical but thoroughly amusing bloody mass killer, Pulp Fiction kind of movie. Loved it.
½ March 6, 2013
This is a terrible movie -- a blatant rip off of Tarantino. The only redeeming thing in the film is Janet McTeer's performance as a merciless killer.
February 26, 2013
Over-the-top European violent chase comedy, if a triple amputee having a fight with a lethal Mary Poppins-like assassin is your idea of fun this is your movie. Bring the popcorn. A senator accidentally kills a prostitute in Eastern Europe and a hooker who is a mother with a heart of gold escapes the slaughter of witnesses and steals the car and cell phone of two Americans. The two decide to start a detective agency. First case - tracking her down before the assassins.