Cats Don't Dance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cats Don't Dance Reviews

January 20, 2019
In this underrated gem, its somewhat cheap animation and songs are elevated by an exceptional voice cast, enjoyable pace, and surprisingly, an accurately satirical story.
September 26, 2018
Story: 9/10
Animation: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Songs: 7/10
Overall: 8/10
September 22, 2018
"Cats Don't Dance" is an animated film from 1997 set in 1930s Hollywood. It's unfortunate that not many people know about this movie. It's sadly underrated & flies under the radar for most mainstream audiences. That's really a shame since this movie was a blast! Not terrific and probably won't be on the same level as a Disney movie but it is a very decent flick for children & families! The animation of this movie is solid! It is cleverly drawn & very nice to look at. This film has a nice style to it and includes homages & nods to the classic era of quick talking/ fast paced comedies of the earlier years of cinema which is an art form we definitely don't see much of these days. The main character Danny (Voiced by Scott Bakula) is a little bland at times but is a nice character to star in this film! I enjoyed the female lead character Sawyer while not a laugh out loud character she has an attitude/personality that I found charming. Most of the side characters are pretty forgettable but by far the ones who truly steal the show of this picture are the characters Darla Dimple who is an evil Shirley Temple like child star & her henchman Max who is a ginormous intimidating beast of a man. These two antagonists are hilarious! Every time they were on screen I was laughing. The expressions/animation on Darla are over the top, psychotic, and beyond funny. Plus, the sheer scope & power of her Henchman Max is so inspired that you can't help but laugh. Max speaks like a brute & can exit/enter a room before you even see him! I found it wildly entertaining. But even with that this is a quick sit at only 75mins full of really good musical numbers, decent comedy, fun scenes, & even a subtle commentary about African-American actors from that period in time. If you have young children "Cats Don't Dance" would be an entertaining film to show them and as a bonus, you as a parent would likely be able to watch this & have some fun too! The musical numbers are often too close together with little time in between as if they go from one song and a few minutes later go right into another one but I guess that's understandable with the short running time so I give it a pass. This is truly a solid film that more people should see! Check it out and judge for yourself but until then....I CAN GIVE A BIG & LOUD RECOMMENDATION ON GIVING "Cats Don't Dance" A WATCH!!
½ August 12, 2018
Cats Don't Dance definitely could have benefited from stronger animation and better defined characters, but the story itself is a refreshing change in pace from other 90s animated fare as it's mature and dealing with 1930s Hollywood in a fun, amusing manner. The soundtrack is particularly strong with well sung, catchy and entertaining numbers. It is flawed and rushed, but definitely a solid, interesting experiment from Warner Bros.
May 29, 2018
A beautiful film that calls back to the golden days of Hollywood.
April 13, 2018
Excellent, quirky fun. Great movie from a lesser known animation studio for the time.
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
An underrated Gem in the animated world. This film is one of the greatest films ever created, and when I was little I never liked this film, but now I consider it one of my favorite movies. The music is fantastic, the animation is top-notch, the plot is decent, and characters and acting are wonderful. Randy Newman may have written some songs that aren't that impressive but these songs are some of his best songs, and they are all sung fantastically by the characters, they're either emotional songs, or energetic and fun songs, and combine that with the great animation and you have one heck of an awesome animated film.
March 26, 2018
danny the cat are such great characters
½ March 3, 2018
A very good movie with a wonderful plot and brilliant story that had potential but was unfortunately ruined by a lack of marketing.
February 13, 2018
Great animation and a good story with lovable characters, absolutely loved it
October 28, 2017
This is truly one of the best animated movie that I was watched, when I was either 4 or 5 years old to see it. It was truly wonderful, the music was great by Randy Newman and the Animation was so beautiful. Plus, it's totally bringing back to the golden age of Hollywood in the year of 1939. Very enjoyable and very entertaining to watch with the whole family here.
July 12, 2017
Some people like it and some people think it's bad, I'm one of those who think its pretty good. Some of the characters are pretty fun and creative, and I Love the animation in this movie, the characters are well animated and it's fast and speedy, and cartoony which I like seeing. The story is also not that bad.Has it faults for sure, but overall, I think it's a pretty decent film.
July 12, 2017
One of the gems of my childhood
½ July 12, 2017
I enjoyed this film. The animation is nice and neat, the characters are okay and the the story is kind of interesting. Danny's determination is kind of admirable. The villain is very unusual but one of the film's best aspects. The way they animate her facial expressions is quite humorous. I really enjoyed the film's music. I was jamming to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now". The characters could have been way more interesting and the story could have been more thought-provoking, but there are some really funny moments and the voice acting is pretty decent. Cats Don't Dance isn't anything great, but it's cute, energized and fun.
September 11, 2016
GREAT MOVIE! One of my childhood (and adult) favorites! The music is phenomenal and rather catchy, the characters are lovable; over all it's enjoyable for children and adults both to watch.
April 4, 2016
A junior Sunset Boulevard/Singin' in the Rain combo that charmed the dickens out of me as a kid and still provides me truth in my Hollywood reality. Its even better now that I get all the old Hollywood references!
February 12, 2016
Un inolvidable clásico de los '90. Excelente película: uno de los íconos de su década. Maravillosa!!!
February 2, 2016
A jewel, is a diamond of the decade. A classic of spirit, a classic in the graphics. Very, Very good. Five stars to the cats... and Darla, the little great villain.
September 17, 2015
A fun musical animation with fun characters and catchy music! A
½ July 16, 2015
Cats may not dance, but they do entertain. Catchy songs, fun, fast paced visuals and an entertaining, if not, thought provoking plot easily make this an underrated, animated film of it's time.