The Cave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cave Reviews

February 1, 2016
i liked this movie even though the ratings were iffy it was still a rather good film.
½ December 20, 2015
130228: What was I thinking? I had previously given this film four stars. Little known actors being chased by cheesy monsters. Wish I had dated that first viewing. Might've explained the high rating.
November 2, 2015
Boy. This. Was. Boring. Ugh. Glad it's over. I guess the last half hour was okay. So a team goes into the vast chain of network of caves inside the Carpathian Mountains to, I don't know what they were doing. Explore. Anyway, there's a lot of swimming involved, and that's always annoying. The caves go into different environments which is a good thing. But then there are these awkward alien-like creatures trying to kill everyone, I have no clue. Everything was copy pasta'd from other films and it was just pointless and it didn't really mesh well together.
November 1, 2015
Awesome creatures and pretty slickly shot... even the cast was very well rounded. No masterpiece, but absolutely entertaining.
August 15, 2015
You've got to be able to forgive some major plot holes but the thriller is mildly entertaining.....very mildly though.
July 27, 2015
Interesting premise, but story was way too slow. Also, they way the did the effects suck, for most part of the film, the monster cannot be seen clearly.
July 18, 2015
A guilty pleasure. I like it. It's no where near as terrible as the reviews make it out to be. A Saturday night monster movie, give it a try.
½ February 27, 2015
The director thinks people in this line of work are all fairly young with Hollywood good-looks! This felt like a movie the whole time and wasn't scary.
January 2, 2015
Much the same as "the descent" so if u like that one i guess u will like this aswell.
December 10, 2014
"The Cave" is an uneasy, mostly unsuccessful mix of old and new Hollywood, an old-fashioned monster movie with updated but unconvincing computerized effects. There are several different types of creatures in the film, and they are all pretty imaginative but the implausible CGI takes you out of the moment every time.

The film could have greatly benefited from some old school movie magic from an actual effects craftsman, but young filmmakers are rarely willing to take the road less traveled anymore. First-time director Bruce Hunt did the visual effects on the wonderfully ambitious "Dark City," so it's surprising to me that his debut feature would be this lazy.

There are some good moments here, most notably the thrilling death of Piper Perabo, which is easily;y the most exciting scene in the film. Still, this is always destined to be the cave monster movie that is not "The Descent." Beyond that one great scene, the film is very stiff and wooden, and the characters are very one-dimensional and typical of a film like this. For much to it, it's difficult to tell a few of the male actors apart.

Hunt fails to breath much life into this, and the film may have worked better without the creatures at all. It could have been strictly a "man VS nature" experience much like "Sanctum." The sad thing is that I did enjoy the final scene, a surprise twist ending that actually works and sets up for a sequel. It's almost disappointing that the film bombed because with the way this ends, the follow-up would have no doubt been more interesting than this film.

In that respect, "The Cave" does show some promise but its hindered by modern technology. If only someone had actually cared enough to put a little work and effort into it.
October 2, 2014
This was a good solid thriller that keeps you guessing what's going to happen next. Great view of the cave and its natural being. The actors gave a good solid performances and the beasts look somewhat realistic. Good solid thriller that keeps you entertain. So for this being a solid movie that has some good moments and some good awes in it. I give "The Cave" a solid C.
½ August 28, 2014

- 'The Cave' is a 2005 horror film directed by Bruce Hunt. It was released in the same year as the popular 'The Descent' and maybe that's why it was received poorly by the critics. I must say I did enjoy the film. Maybe because the creatures make me think about the ones from the movie 'Alien'. The story is not complicated and the biggest problem is that the film has a lot of clichés. More than once you are able to predict what will happen. In the cast of 'The Cave' we see Eddie Cibrian (Invasion), Cole Hauser (2 Fast 2 Furious, Olympos Has Fallen), Lena Headey (The Purge, Game of Thrones), Morris Chestnut (Anacondas: Hunt of the Blood Orchid, Kick-Ass 2) and Daniel Dae Kim (Lost, Hawaii Five-0).

A team of archeologists discover that underneath a the ruin of an old Carpathian abbey lies a massive cave system. They call in the help of experienced spelunkers and divers, led by Jack McAllister (Hauser) and his brother Tyler (Cibrian), to go and explore the area. The expedition is joined by doctor Nicolai, his associate Katheryn (Headey) and cameraman Alex (Kim). A couple of miles underneath the surface, one of the divers gets attacked by a large bloodthirsty creature. A crash of his water scooter causes the cave to collapse. Now trapped inside a unknown maze, the team will have to rely on their skills to find another way out. But something is lurking in the dark...
July 1, 2014
It's a wild ride full of harrowing twists and turns. There is a lot of epic moments in this movie, although being almost too good to be true (hence the cheap reviews) someone just has to admit this movie was epic. It's wonderful entertainment!!!
½ June 29, 2014
Not a good horror movie but a good cave tutorial
June 2, 2014
There's a much better movie out there called The Descent.
May 12, 2014
A failed American version of The Descent the plot was easy and predictable and gets old very quickly.
½ April 20, 2014
Kathryn (Lena Headey): At first, I thought it couldn't survive outside of a cave environment. Now, I'm not sure. I think it wants to get out.

Unoriginal, very similar to another film which also takes place in caves called "The Descent" but with different "monsters". But this film was the same formulaic monster-versus-people flick with the stereotypical mass body count and token vile ways to die. Same old, same old. The cast was alright but nothing special; although, it was a treat to watch Daniel Dae kim outside of "Lost" or "Hawaii Five-O". It wasn't really horrendous, but also not worth bothering about, it's the kind of flick that you'd watch just because it was on the tube and you are too lazy to change the channel (which I was).
April 19, 2014
½ March 25, 2014
Imagine The Descent with cardboard cut-out characters, no scares, no sense of urgency, no intensity and a dumb script, and you have The Cave.