Cave of Forgotten Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cave of Forgotten Dreams Reviews

June 14, 2017
Unique subject, but too slow for quality entertainment besides the intellectual.
June 11, 2017
Hauntingly filmed yet beautifully told, Cave of Forgotten Dreams is the first Werner Herzog film I have seen, and I am looking forward to seeing more from him.
May 2, 2017
Incredible film about the oldest paintings ever discovered in France.
½ December 27, 2016
Another Herzog documentary this time on the mysterious paint etchings of Neanderthal Man (30,000 years ago) watched in 3D which really brought the documentary to life and typically Herzog's prompted thoughts - this is what 3D was made for
½ December 15, 2016
It was incredible to see the video of these drawings and to hear about the discoveries that have been made in the cage. My only real complaint is that it was a bit long. Really great subject matter though. Just incredible to see the details in the art.
November 4, 2016
"Cave of Forgotten Dreams" is another absorbing, contemplative feature from Werner Herzog that I highly recommend you see for yourself.
½ October 27, 2016
Another brilliantly crafted documentary from Werner Herzog who continues to find fascinating subjects to showcase for the audience. In my opinion Cave of Forgotten Dreams is better than Herzog's, perhaps, most well known doc, Grizzly Man because he creates such an engaging arc even with the many limitations that the crew faced. Cave of Forgotten Dreams is our gateway into seeing a historical wonder as authentically as possible and shouldn't be missed.
October 18, 2016
The unique Werner Herzog is embarking us with him deep beneath the surface of the earth for a tour of the Chalet cave in France. The documentary is very interesting and entertaining with Herzog himself narrating the story. In 3D , i have no doubt the film must look amazing. Great documentary.
½ September 4, 2016
A documentary about the intersection of art history and deeper existentialist themes concerning our connection with human history and nature. It's too bad I wasn't able to watch this in theaters in 3D as I'm sure some of the cave footage looks spectacular in that format.
September 1, 2016
Well done documentary from one of my favourite directors, Werner Herzog. Excellent subject matter. Downright fascinating. The Chauvet Cave is simply one of the greatest historical finds of human civilization. The repeated footage and extended shots are emphasized to create a mood and feel.

I questioned the selection of modern music at times. Most of the time it worked, other times it felt like a bad choice. Perhaps some classical music to stir the human spirit would have portrayed the subject matter more appropriately.

Much of the additional unrelated footage could have been edited out. It may have been better as a concise 60 minute film rather than a drawn out 92 minute film.

This discovery deserves a genius like Herzog to preserve this creation on film. There really is no need for anyone else to cover this subject since it was produced so well this first time.
December 22, 2015
Poetic, inspirational and dazzling imagery... But not a typical Herzog documentary. Too long, would have been a great 45 min IMAX docu.
November 28, 2015
May be a little too out there and philosophical in some ways, but there is no denying that the cave itself is incredible and the documentary is quite powerful
November 19, 2015
weirdly pretentious if beautifully made
August 17, 2015
Werner Herzog is one of cinema's greatest filmmakers. Both his documentaries and narrative films have gotten massive acclaim by both critics and audiences, and this film's acclaim is well deserved. It is a beautiful and informative look at cave paintings in the Chauvet Cave in France, and it is amazing that the filmmakers even got access to these caves, but I'm sure glad they did!
½ June 30, 2015
Takes you as far back into the past as it does send you into the future, to contemplate the future of human culture.
February 22, 2015
Herzog is a master and he proves that once again as he brings incredible life to these works of art dating up to thirty thousand years old. Beautifully and delicately displayed on film, these earliest works of art are irresistible.
February 14, 2015
That rare combination of education and wonder all the while not being sure when narrater Werner Herzog is going to enter stage right and gouge out their eyes with the sunglasses everyone made fun of him for bringing. Dude's voice is scary as all get-out. In some areas of the world the mere sound of his voice is considered hate speech. And, uh, hello, narraters don't usually attend the actual filming of documentaries. The scientists and crew should have been tipped off that something was seriously "off" with him from the get-go. The eventual slaughter was brutally realistic and pushed the limits of the film's parental rating. Education, wonder, and terror. An overall pleasure.
½ February 5, 2015
Fantastic subject matter, mediocre documentary. Worth seeing the highlights.
January 26, 2015