Cave of Forgotten Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cave of Forgotten Dreams Reviews

October 18, 2016
The unique Werner Herzog is embarking us with him deep beneath the surface of the earth for a tour of the Chalet cave in France. The documentary is very interesting and entertaining with Herzog himself narrating the story. In 3D , i have no doubt the film must look amazing. Great documentary.
½ September 4, 2016
A documentary about the intersection of art history and deeper existentialist themes concerning our connection with human history and nature. It's too bad I wasn't able to watch this in theaters in 3D as I'm sure some of the cave footage looks spectacular in that format.
September 1, 2016
Well done documentary from one of my favourite directors, Werner Herzog. Excellent subject matter. Downright fascinating. The Chauvet Cave is simply one of the greatest historical finds of human civilization. The repeated footage and extended shots are emphasized to create a mood and feel.

I questioned the selection of modern music at times. Most of the time it worked, other times it felt like a bad choice. Perhaps some classical music to stir the human spirit would have portrayed the subject matter more appropriately.

Much of the additional unrelated footage could have been edited out. It may have been better as a concise 60 minute film rather than a drawn out 92 minute film.

This discovery deserves a genius like Herzog to preserve this creation on film. There really is no need for anyone else to cover this subject since it was produced so well this first time.
December 22, 2015
Poetic, inspirational and dazzling imagery... But not a typical Herzog documentary. Too long, would have been a great 45 min IMAX docu.
November 28, 2015
May be a little too out there and philosophical in some ways, but there is no denying that the cave itself is incredible and the documentary is quite powerful
November 19, 2015
weirdly pretentious if beautifully made
August 17, 2015
Werner Herzog is one of cinema's greatest filmmakers. Both his documentaries and narrative films have gotten massive acclaim by both critics and audiences, and this film's acclaim is well deserved. It is a beautiful and informative look at cave paintings in the Chauvet Cave in France, and it is amazing that the filmmakers even got access to these caves, but I'm sure glad they did!
½ June 30, 2015
Takes you as far back into the past as it does send you into the future, to contemplate the future of human culture.
February 22, 2015
Herzog is a master and he proves that once again as he brings incredible life to these works of art dating up to thirty thousand years old. Beautifully and delicately displayed on film, these earliest works of art are irresistible.
February 14, 2015
That rare combination of education and wonder all the while not being sure when narrater Werner Herzog is going to enter stage right and gouge out their eyes with the sunglasses everyone made fun of him for bringing. Dude's voice is scary as all get-out. In some areas of the world the mere sound of his voice is considered hate speech. And, uh, hello, narraters don't usually attend the actual filming of documentaries. The scientists and crew should have been tipped off that something was seriously "off" with him from the get-go. The eventual slaughter was brutally realistic and pushed the limits of the film's parental rating. Education, wonder, and terror. An overall pleasure.
½ February 5, 2015
Fantastic subject matter, mediocre documentary. Worth seeing the highlights.
January 26, 2015
extraordinary and beautiful
December 28, 2014
Love love love Werner Herzog...
December 15, 2014
Cutting two thirds of the movie to make it into a short documentary in Imax without excessive gibberish would have been a smart move... But maybe I just did not like it because I saw it right after the splendid 'Happy people'
October 25, 2014
Fascinating and stunning, especially in 3D.
September 27, 2014
1. A bunch of poetic informative lines said in Herzog's perfect voice. 2. Topic is really cool, but there actually isn't that much information provided3. Way too much meandering, and wtf was with the 20 mins of music at the end.
September 10, 2014
Interesting subject. I know this is a groundbreaking insight, but Herzog really does have a great voice for narration.
August 17, 2014
The images of the interior of the cave with its astonishing artwork are magical as presented in usually very effective 3D. A few of the interviews are useful and enlightening. Some of Herzog's own fanciful leaps, not so much. Fortunately, he stays out of the way most of the time and just lets us enjoy these cave paintings we're unlikely to ever see another way.
½ July 30, 2014
If you take an interest in the link between art & science then this is a documentary for you. Using the excavation of ancient cave paintings a small group of scientists & historians get to the heart of how and why humans make art