Cecil B. Demented - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cecil B. Demented Reviews

½ February 6, 2013
Wow, certainly one of the more different and unusual movies I have seen in a long time. When this first started I was pretty close to turning it off. The opening scenes in which the renegade cinema workers kidnap the Hollywood starlette were just too damn cringe worthy. That said, once the premise is established this movie turned out to be one hell of a fun ride. In true John Waters style, the humour is not for everyone, but from Maggie Gyllenhaal's Satan worshipping character, to the ridiculous finale in which Melanie Griffith's character sets her hair alight, this film kept the laughs coming. It's also an interesting look at the issue of mainstream cinema and although these characters took it to the extreme, it raises questions of why the public don't demand more from film as both entertainment and as something more. Great black comedy with interesting script, well structured story and hilarious dialogue, and very memorable characters.
January 24, 2013
"6:45, in the name of underground cinema!"-Cherish Oh Lordy (Allica Witt)

For the people who love bad cinema and want to bathe in it. Don't forget the soap.

"Everybody wrap it up and run!"-Cecil B. Demented (Stephen Dorff)
January 24, 2013
As the ultimate cinephile fantasy, this should have been Waters' best film. Disappointing, then, that it's plagued by an ironic hipness and a repeat gag about celibacy that is run into the ground in spite of the fact that it never for even the briefest moment works. In the end, it is probably his weakest effort.
½ January 22, 2013
Few people give this movie a chance, but it's damn entertaining.
½ January 16, 2013
Not waters best, but entertaining non the less.
½ December 20, 2012
Easily the worst John Waters movie.
½ November 3, 2012
While it could have used a better writing and execution, Cecil B. Demented is still funny enough to make up for some of its flaws and it has the advantage of not taking itself too seriosuly, in spite some of its scenes. I thinkk the film spoofs the gratuitous "anti-holywood" attitude as well
October 24, 2012
Cecil B forever! Death to mainstream cinema! "Family" is just another word for "censorship".
October 22, 2012
una pelicula de waters que esta a la media de su produccion, con a la distancia, actores que en este momento son muy reconocidos, me encanto la parte de los mensajes que van metiendo, contra lo del cine comercial o de la gente misma. Se deja ver
½ October 2, 2012
Sad....just sad. Love the story Mr Waters but the actors choosen...STINK! Melanie Griffith? Stephen Dorf? What were you thinking? Seriously??? Was Mink Stole busy finding the cure for cancer of something that she couldn't play Honey? She would have been amazing. Really didn't like this film which broke my heart because I love Waters!
September 14, 2012
Oh man, I really really dug this flick. How did I not know about it already? HOW IS THIS NO MORE POPULAR?!
August 17, 2012
For the cult film crew only. Middle era John Waters.. his commentary tracks are some of the best.
August 11, 2012
51%? pfft. This is my favorite John Waters film. It's got everything good in it. It makes me laugh and I agree with it quite a lot. It's full of fun, excitement and humor! Melanie Griffith and Stephen Dorff just rock in this film. This is in my top 5 favorites of all time. Watch it and you shouldn't be disappointed. Unless you suck or are boring. Which, ya know... is your problem, not the movie. :P
July 12, 2012
a rewatch has affirmed its a must for indie film folk xx
June 15, 2012
Not the best from Waters but still fun
April 15, 2012
God bless you John Waters. A love letter to radical movie makers whose independent works make cinema less predictable and infinitely more interesting than the machine could ever produce. Always with a rye eye Waters targets every trope and pretension in modern movies and calls them out.

The casting of Melanie Griffith was inspired as she both fits the role as an actress and a real star. The ensemble cast are a riot of colourful human-beings who typify stereotypes as they decry them.

Dorff, Witt & Gyllenhaal are a charming as counter culture rebels on a mission to expose the machine and make the most real movie ever made. Cartoony action sells the demented reality and brings genuine laughs from the ridiculousness of their escapades.
½ April 4, 2012
John Waters manages to take the piss out of commercial cinema, independent cinema, guerilla cinema, and cult cinema in one go. Everything you need to know is in the title. Genius!
March 15, 2012
You know . . . John Waters. Shocking-ish.
March 14, 2012
Brilliant idea. Love this film. Someone left it in a changing room, and now it's mine!! Well worth a watch.