Celeste and Jesse Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Celeste and Jesse Forever Reviews

July 19, 2016
A really excellent and refreshing movie that has become one of my favourites. The characters are funny and interesting and the feelings real. Be prepared to rewatch over and over, (and get a little weepy every time).
½ July 6, 2016
It's full of genre cliches, but I didn't mind it. Celeste and Jesse Forever is a well-made, well-written, and well-acted romantic comedy that manages to be both funny and bittersweet. Kudos to writers Rashida Jones and Will McCormack for their sharp script. Not a groundbreaking film by any stretch of imagination, but it's still entertaining to watch.
June 10, 2016
Four years later and I still can't get over how wonderful this movie is. This film has so much going for it; a strong and poignant script, a talented cast, breathtaking cinematography throughout, not to mention Rashida Jone's vulnerable and genius performance; add all that and a killer score, everything about this film comes together and just WORKS.
Celeste and Jesse Forever is beautiful, bittersweet, and tremulously underrated, in my opinion. Please, watch this movie. Highly highly recommend.
March 27, 2016
I've watched this twice now and I can honestly say it's... good? I think it is as I can barely remember anything that happens in it... if anything actually does. I don't think there's an actually plot but more just a series of situations built around the central premise that these two people aren't together anymore. Well acted and well balanced between humour and heartbreak but just not very memorable. I'll have to watch it a third time and let you know for sure.
March 12, 2016
Belle situation digne des amours compliques d'aujourd'hui...
½ March 5, 2016
A likeable rom-com with even more likeable leads, Celeste and Jesse Forever is a charming story about Andy Samberg, Rashida Jones, and the countless number of friends and dates no one really cares about.
½ February 22, 2016
A bittersweet romantic dramedy that subverts many of the genre's overused tropes, Celeste and Jesse Forever works thanks to effective performances from Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg.
½ January 30, 2016
This movie is CRAP!!! What's with the RT rating?! Open your eyes people!!
January 22, 2016
Rashida Jones carries this one. Better than I thought it would be.
January 12, 2016
Why did I like this movie so much? Perhaps because it was realistic and didn't end in a way many would hope for. The main characters were extremely likable - and their dynamic as two people once in love seemed so...natural.
November 23, 2015
An enjoyable rom-com that finds itself smarter and more insightful than it really is, but still it benefits from a great chemistry between the adorable leads - and Jones proves that she is quite talented enough to carry a film on her shoulders.
September 27, 2015
Good cast, good writing, some might say to long so you might take a nap.
½ September 12, 2015
Here's the deal. I think Celeste & Jesse is a solid romantic comedy. I really do. But I also think, especially regarding this particular genre, that solid isn't enough. You must have something to differentiate yourself from the rest, and Celeste & Jesse tries way too hard to have that, but it just doesn't.
Celeste (Rashida Jones) and Jesse (Andy Samberg) are a divorcing couple that have been best friends since they can remember. They don't want their divorce to destroy their unique friendship, and so they still hang out as much as they did before their relationship. Their friends and co-workers think their relationship is weird, but Celeste and Jesse think they can make it work...that is until Jesse meets Veronica (Rebecca Dayan) and is set up to have a family with her.
The movie could have been a by-the-numbers rom-com with no grace, but it is actually a tad better (Although, still far from being any original). Celeste is a very complex and flawed character. Yes, it is difficult to relate to her because at times she is immensely stupid or reactive, but it is all intentional. Lee Toland Krieger (The Vicious Kind) wants to squeeze out of Rashida Jones as many conflicted feelings as he can, and Jones perfectly manages to do so. She delivers a poignant and subdued performance, that if it wasn't for the rom-com clichéd scenes such as a drunk speech at a wedding or a girl's night in when the character of Celeste and the unnecessary character of Riley (Emma Roberts), a bratty, slutty pop star Celeste works for even though she is completely against everything she stands for, get together when they have both reached bottom emotionally. Samberg does not reach the scope or finesse that Jones has in the film, so Krieger cleverly gives the spotlight to Jones instead. This is, however, Celeste & Jesse Forever, so he also fails at living up to the title. A more appropriate title would be Celeste Forever, because their relationship is never the main focus of the film.
This is why the movie ended up making me feel mixed. When a rom-com focuses on a character instead of a relationship, it is confusing, more so if the title suggests that the film will focus on the two. Other things also don't quite fit. Elijah Wood plays Jones' gay boss, Scott, and...yeah, comedy is not his forte. The script, written by Jones and first-time screenwriter James McCormack, while successful at the drawing the character of celeste, is a mixed bag in terms of humor. Some jokes are stupid, many stereotypes are awfully portrayed and the chemistry between Samberg and Jones does not always match the tone the dialogue aims to achieve. This is Jones' project, inside out, and there is a lot of good in this movie to justify the ride. This is also, however, and half-baked rom-com, that is way too ambitious for its own good, when it really isn't anything special.
September 3, 2015
Good movie - can't believe Rashida Jones wrote it.
August 25, 2015
Relationships are complicated and I feel like this movie was a quite honest portrayal. I have even experienced some of the fights or situations in this movie, so I felt like I could relate. But seriously, Celeste and Jesse are so annoying together, I was quite happy that they were over. No rooting for them to get back together. Sometimes you just have to move on from a dysfunctional relationship.
½ August 9, 2015
Andy Samberg y Rashida Jones interpretan a una pareja que decide divorciarse después de 6 años de matrimonio y que no está preparada para dejar ir, en esta comedia romántica que a diferencia del "chick flick" tradicional, busca dejar atrás los clichés y la ligereza por intentar entender a la pareja y por unas situaciones que debajo de la gracia esconden heridas. "Jesse And Celeste Forever" no será un clásico de la comedia romántica, pero sí está por encima del producto habitual de Hollywood.
July 8, 2015
When I first saw the title of this movie I thought it would be a spoof of the Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight movies. I was wrong. The movie charmed me with the chemistry between its two leads. There's a plot twist early on which takes the movie into an interesting direction. It does though lose steam as we get in deeper and some scenes could've used editing. Still an enjoyable watch.
½ May 26, 2015
Celeste and Jesse Forever [US, 2012] I really want to hate this film for all its illusory, but I just can't. 7/10
May 18, 2015
I don't understand the cinematography behind this one. Why have really well-crafted wide angle shots and then deliberately shaking profile shots? That aside, the clever soundtrack melds well with this pretty unique (yet strangely familiar) story.
May 13, 2015