Celeste and Jesse Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Celeste and Jesse Forever Reviews

April 22, 2015
A sweet, very underrated rom-com. Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg are brilliant together.
½ February 10, 2015
I would have thought this movie would have been funnier especially with Andy Samberg. Rashida Jones cowrote this slight romantic sad flick with a few funny scenes. No happy ending here. It was an okay movie, nothing memorable.
½ January 20, 2015
I wanted to Love this film. I wanted to quote it and watch it over and over again. I wanted to go to the rooftops and tell the world 'Watch this film'.

But , sadly, none of these were possible. An enjoyable and easy to like but definitely nothing special watch one-time film with a likeable cast.

Also I have no easy access to my roof.
½ January 17, 2015
Decidedly average. Didn't really warm to either of the characters. A total waste of Andy Samberg.
January 11, 2015
I love "500 Days of Summer"..."The F Word"... "When Harry Met Sally". But "Celeste and Jesse Forever" is by far NOT a comedy. I didn't laugh once and I was bored to tears. SUCH AN AWFUL SCRIPT. If there were jokes, I missed them. The characters were unlikable. It was full of old tropes & stereotypes. There was no depth at all to this movie. I'm seriously shocked that some reviewers said they got emotional over this... I just wanted it to end.
January 9, 2015
Boring. Celeste is not likeable so unfortunately I could have cared less.
January 7, 2015
A funny and insightful comedy-drama.
½ January 4, 2015
Some parts seemed a bit repetitive and the inside joke between the primary couple could have been more tasteful but overall this movie was heart felt and entertaining.
½ January 3, 2015
Interesting premise. Sad that it could happen.
December 29, 2014
Best movie that makes me cry! To me, I feel like it's better than Titanic. It is just so beutifully written and probably one of my Top three movies! I love it SO much.
December 1, 2014
Celeste and jesse is a rom com I can like and enjoyed. It's refreshing to see Andy Samberg in a more mature role.
½ December 1, 2014
Nothing really special, but I really liked Rashida Jones' writing and the chemistry between the two leads.
December 1, 2014
Romantic comedy who steal (tribute) jokes from baseball movies made over twenty years ago really don't get me on the right foot. Never bought Samberg, but the supporting cast is outstanding, but not utilized. Soundtrack may be the best thing about this movie. Worth seeing on a rainy day when it comes on HBO but beware you may be frustrated.
½ October 30, 2014
A fresh take on romance concentrating on how they grew apart rather than how they got together. Moving and enjoyable to watch.
½ October 26, 2014
Spoiler warning! Actually funnier than alot of indie films I've seen, and I loved Andy Samberg and Rashida Jones performances and their chemistry. It was good to see Samberg do well in a serious and comedic role. Unsure about the ending - I like that they admitted their feelings, but as someone more used to blockbuster romcoms, I am more geared toward an ending tied up with a bow. I wanted them to be together, I was rooting for them, but it didn't happen? Not sure how to feel about that.
½ October 9, 2014
Rashida Jones, daughter of famous producer Quincy Jones, and known for her appearances on The Office and role on Parks and Recreation, makes her big screen writing debut, while also producing and starring in this smartly-written comedy about a couple, together since high school, but finally seeing the light as young adults and attempting to move on with separate lives. Rashida plays the most interesting character I've ever seen her play as a successful marketing executive who loves her best friend, played by Andy Samberg, who also plays his most interesting character to date, as a lovable, but maturity-stunted man-boy (not a stretch). She has come to love him, she believes, as a friend as her maturity has quickly outpaced his. Or so she thinks. The movie is a quest to understand what makes a relationship successful and, in the end, coming to terms with mistakes even the most mature people make, especially when they lead to a result they don't really want. Those results are usually a deeply broken heart, which both sides experience at some point in their extended breakup. The film is shot in a very independent-like and free form style, with unique angles and pacing. Rashida's writing shows how much of a comedic talent she truly is. However, the film overall deserved a more emotional response from its audience, which couldn't occur because not enough time was spent in the beginning giving the viewer enough information to care about these two as a couple before springing their impending divorce into the plot. Then the film elementarily attempts to make up for that lack of depth of knowledge between the two characters throughout a much longer-feeling hour and a half duration. Leaving, the ending made me feel sad for Rashida's character, but confused as to how the lack of a Hollywood ending for her, which I appreciated, then resulted in an almost immediate bounce-back for her. Nothing in the film made me think that would have been reality. In addition, Andy's character began with a much more broken-hearted foundation, but when he "gave up," it was hard to buy why a normal person would have fought so hard, but then not even consider the option for reconciliation when it came to fruition. It just didn't seem natural. All things considered, though, Celeste and Jesse Forever is much better than most Hollywood junk and Rashida is one to watch for in the future as it is clear she is a diamond in the rough.
September 24, 2014
I'm obsessed with this movie. It's the perfect combination between drama, comedy and romance. The characters are shown with all their flaws and that's what makes this film so lovely
September 20, 2014
Incredible movie. It's both very sweet and very sad at the same time. It brings an interesting and different twist to breakups/divorces at first, slowly morphing back into a formulaic picture, and then jumping back to the non-typical film in its ending. The chemistry between Jones and Samberg is incredible, being able to play off each other hilariously, sweetly, and heartbreakingly.
½ September 16, 2014
Films like this genuinely hit the right note as you can relate to most, or at least some, of the events been depicted. This was no different...it rang true to me but was more humorous. Good turns by the leads and a nice, funky soundtrack.
September 7, 2014
Oh baby you, you got what I nee-eeeed