Celeste and Jesse Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Celeste and Jesse Forever Reviews

½ October 26, 2014
Spoiler warning! Actually funnier than alot of indie films I've seen, and I loved Andy Samberg and Rashida Jones performances and their chemistry. It was good to see Samberg do well in a serious and comedic role. Unsure about the ending - I like that they admitted their feelings, but as someone more used to blockbuster romcoms, I am more geared toward an ending tied up with a bow. I wanted them to be together, I was rooting for them, but it didn't happen? Not sure how to feel about that.
½ October 9, 2014
Rashida Jones, daughter of famous producer Quincy Jones, and known for her appearances on The Office and role on Parks and Recreation, makes her big screen writing debut, while also producing and starring in this smartly-written comedy about a couple, together since high school, but finally seeing the light as young adults and attempting to move on with separate lives. Rashida plays the most interesting character I've ever seen her play as a successful marketing executive who loves her best friend, played by Andy Samberg, who also plays his most interesting character to date, as a lovable, but maturity-stunted man-boy (not a stretch). She has come to love him, she believes, as a friend as her maturity has quickly outpaced his. Or so she thinks. The movie is a quest to understand what makes a relationship successful and, in the end, coming to terms with mistakes even the most mature people make, especially when they lead to a result they don't really want. Those results are usually a deeply broken heart, which both sides experience at some point in their extended breakup. The film is shot in a very independent-like and free form style, with unique angles and pacing. Rashida's writing shows how much of a comedic talent she truly is. However, the film overall deserved a more emotional response from its audience, which couldn't occur because not enough time was spent in the beginning giving the viewer enough information to care about these two as a couple before springing their impending divorce into the plot. Then the film elementarily attempts to make up for that lack of depth of knowledge between the two characters throughout a much longer-feeling hour and a half duration. Leaving, the ending made me feel sad for Rashida's character, but confused as to how the lack of a Hollywood ending for her, which I appreciated, then resulted in an almost immediate bounce-back for her. Nothing in the film made me think that would have been reality. In addition, Andy's character began with a much more broken-hearted foundation, but when he "gave up," it was hard to buy why a normal person would have fought so hard, but then not even consider the option for reconciliation when it came to fruition. It just didn't seem natural. All things considered, though, Celeste and Jesse Forever is much better than most Hollywood junk and Rashida is one to watch for in the future as it is clear she is a diamond in the rough.
September 24, 2014
I'm obsessed with this movie. It's the perfect combination between drama, comedy and romance. The characters are shown with all their flaws and that's what makes this film so lovely
September 20, 2014
Incredible movie. It's both very sweet and very sad at the same time. It brings an interesting and different twist to breakups/divorces at first, slowly morphing back into a formulaic picture, and then jumping back to the non-typical film in its ending. The chemistry between Jones and Samberg is incredible, being able to play off each other hilariously, sweetly, and heartbreakingly.
½ September 16, 2014
Films like this genuinely hit the right note as you can relate to most, or at least some, of the events been depicted. This was no different...it rang true to me but was more humorous. Good turns by the leads and a nice, funky soundtrack.
September 7, 2014
Oh baby you, you got what I nee-eeeed
August 31, 2014
What a horrible movie. Both lead characters are so weak they should simply end it all and put the audience out of its misery.
½ August 30, 2014
I enjoyed Celeste and Jesse Forever and I was still rooting for them by the end. The film did try to break the ideal chick-flick sort of image, but in the end, the "deepness" and portrayal of "reality" seemed a little manufactured. I shamelessly loved how the lighting gave an effect that the whole movie was filmed through an instagram filter.
July 20, 2014
'Twas okay. A little cheesy.
July 18, 2014
This is not your ordinary love story. Actually, it is not a love story though. It's more of an aftermath of it.
July 16, 2014
Amazing movie, funny and moving!
½ July 16, 2014
A wonderfully observed relationship comedy\drama elevated by great turns from Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg, of all people.
July 16, 2014
Andy can be funny and sweet but this movie was boring. Alcohol and drama
July 6, 2014
This movie definitely gave me mixed emotions. To sum it up, bad timing always gets ya...
July 4, 2014
possibly my fave anti-romcom
June 26, 2014
This was actually pretty solid. It tries to do something a little different with the rom-com genre and succeeds for the most part. That's helped mostly by the leads, Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg. They both turned in some really nice performances and had an easy chemistry. You could see why these two fell in love, and also why they fell apart. I also liked the acting because it was something different out of these two. Jones can do more than sweet Ann Perkins and Samberg can do more than goofy SNL skits, and this was a perfect example of this. The writing is smart and also quite funny at the same, there are some really great moments. Chris Messina's character seemed a little extra to me. Like they wanted Jones' character to have a subplot, so they threw him in. I didn't dislike him, I just either wanted more, or none at all. This movie is nothing revolutionary, but the writing and acting kept me engaged the entire time.
½ June 26, 2014
A unique take on the rom-con convention... it felt more possible than most...
½ June 23, 2014
I thought this was a good attempt at trying to make one of those bitter-sweet romance/dramas eg. 500 days of Summer, Ruby Sparks. The film is predictable, you kind of know where it's going, and the message it presents about two people who will always love each other, although are not together. You cherish the moments you had but it's another closed chapter of life. I felt as though the film did contradict itself at times, which did annoy me a little. It was still enjoyable and presents a nice rom-com film that I would definitely sit through.. only once. Maybe twice, but who knows.
June 17, 2014
Makes you cry and laugh at the same time
½ June 16, 2014
There are very few romantic dramedies that grab my attention, even though I love that genre. There are just not that many great films that come from it. Again, it's not the best in it's genre, but "Celeste and Jesse Forever" is an enjoyable enough movie, due to it's performances by Andy Samberg and Rashida Jones. They are great together and for once, Andy Samberg was not annoying in any way. I really liked their chemistry and where the story took them, whether it be apart or together by the end, that really didn't matter to me, because the film played out very naturally. It is well-written and has a very sweet sentimental tone under it. I am a huge fan of indie films, mainly because that is where the creative minds are these days. There is a great movie in here somewhere for sure, but I feel like there was a bit of wasted potential and the movie has too broad of an ending for my liking. Overall, I really enjoyed it, but many things bugged me.