Celeste and Jesse Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Celeste and Jesse Forever Reviews

August 31, 2014
What a horrible movie. Both lead characters are so weak they should simply end it all and put the audience out of its misery.
½ August 30, 2014
I enjoyed Celeste and Jesse Forever and I was still rooting for them by the end. The film did try to break the ideal chick-flick sort of image, but in the end, the "deepness" and portrayal of "reality" seemed a little manufactured. I shamelessly loved how the lighting gave an effect that the whole movie was filmed through an instagram filter.
July 20, 2014
'Twas okay. A little cheesy.
July 18, 2014
This is not your ordinary love story. Actually, it is not a love story though. It's more of an aftermath of it.
July 16, 2014
Amazing movie, funny and moving!
½ July 16, 2014
A wonderfully observed relationship comedy\drama elevated by great turns from Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg, of all people.
July 16, 2014
Andy can be funny and sweet but this movie was boring. Alcohol and drama
July 6, 2014
This movie definitely gave me mixed emotions. To sum it up, bad timing always gets ya...
July 4, 2014
possibly my fave anti-romcom
June 26, 2014
This was actually pretty solid. It tries to do something a little different with the rom-com genre and succeeds for the most part. That's helped mostly by the leads, Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg. They both turned in some really nice performances and had an easy chemistry. You could see why these two fell in love, and also why they fell apart. I also liked the acting because it was something different out of these two. Jones can do more than sweet Ann Perkins and Samberg can do more than goofy SNL skits, and this was a perfect example of this. The writing is smart and also quite funny at the same, there are some really great moments. Chris Messina's character seemed a little extra to me. Like they wanted Jones' character to have a subplot, so they threw him in. I didn't dislike him, I just either wanted more, or none at all. This movie is nothing revolutionary, but the writing and acting kept me engaged the entire time.
½ June 26, 2014
A unique take on the rom-con convention... it felt more possible than most...
½ June 23, 2014
I thought this was a good attempt at trying to make one of those bitter-sweet romance/dramas eg. 500 days of Summer, Ruby Sparks. The film is predictable, you kind of know where it's going, and the message it presents about two people who will always love each other, although are not together. You cherish the moments you had but it's another closed chapter of life. I felt as though the film did contradict itself at times, which did annoy me a little. It was still enjoyable and presents a nice rom-com film that I would definitely sit through.. only once. Maybe twice, but who knows.
June 17, 2014
Makes you cry and laugh at the same time
½ June 16, 2014
There are very few romantic dramedies that grab my attention, even though I love that genre. There are just not that many great films that come from it. Again, it's not the best in it's genre, but "Celeste and Jesse Forever" is an enjoyable enough movie, due to it's performances by Andy Samberg and Rashida Jones. They are great together and for once, Andy Samberg was not annoying in any way. I really liked their chemistry and where the story took them, whether it be apart or together by the end, that really didn't matter to me, because the film played out very naturally. It is well-written and has a very sweet sentimental tone under it. I am a huge fan of indie films, mainly because that is where the creative minds are these days. There is a great movie in here somewhere for sure, but I feel like there was a bit of wasted potential and the movie has too broad of an ending for my liking. Overall, I really enjoyed it, but many things bugged me.
June 12, 2014
I bought this movie because Elijah Wood is in it, turns out he only has a couple scenes. But I ended up really enjoying the movie. I love how it was shot, the soundtrack is great and I really liked the story the characters go through.
June 7, 2014
It's one of those movies that made you fall in love even from the trailer, even from the first seconds of its soundtracks. My weekly dose of romcom is satisfied.
Some highlights:
"Yeah, she was cool, but she's not Celeste."
The way he said that in normal conversation like it is nothing...

"Do you miss him?"
"Yea, I do."
"They all f****** suck."
"Hmp. Kind of."
"They really never gets better? Like not even when you're old?"
"No. But you do."

"You're right. I have no idea what I'm doing."
"Do you love her?"
*nods*
.. and a tear dropped down.
½ June 6, 2014
Rashida Jones held her own as the lead here and she co-wrote this average script. Not sure if Andy Samberg was the right choice opposite her but he wasn't all bad. But in the end this didn't offer much of anything new to the genre.
May 25, 2014
A good cast, an enjoyable REAL movie.
May 19, 2014
Breakups are hard. This movie really drives that home.
Had I watched this at any other time in my life I probably would have hated it but where I am in life right now I could identify and enjoyed it.
½ May 17, 2014
Not bad. Not one to watch over and over, but good for a one off watch.