Celeste and Jesse Forever Reviews

• Nov 06, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Oct 29, 2018

The actors are good together. Rashida Jones should be a big star

The actors are good together. Rashida Jones should be a big star

• Jun 18, 2018

Rashida Jones, daughter of famous producer Quincy Jones, and known for her appearances on The Office and role on Parks and Recreation, makes her big screen writing debut, while also producing and starring in this smartly-written comedy about a couple, together since high school, but finally seeing the light as young adults and attempting to move on with separate lives. Rashida plays the most interesting character I've ever seen her play as a successful marketing executive who loves her best friend, played by Andy Samberg, who also plays his most interesting character to date, as a lovable, but maturity-stunted man-boy (not a stretch). She has come to love him, she believes, as a friend as her maturity has quickly outpaced his. Or so she thinks. The movie is a quest to understand what makes a relationship successful and, in the end, coming to terms with mistakes even the most mature people make, especially when they lead to a result they don't really want. Those results are usually a deeply broken heart, which both sides experience at some point in their extended breakup. The film is shot in a very independent-like and free form style, with unique angles and pacing. Rashida's writing shows how much of a comedic talent she truly is. However, the film overall deserved a more emotional response from its audience, which couldn't occur because not enough time was spent in the beginning giving the viewer enough information to care about these two as a couple before springing their impending divorce into the plot. Then the film elementarily attempts to make up for that lack of depth of knowledge between the two characters throughout a much longer-feeling hour and a half duration. Leaving, the ending made me feel sad for Rashida's character, but confused as to how the lack of a Hollywood ending for her, which I appreciated, then resulted in an almost immediate bounce-back for her. Nothing in the film made me think that would have been reality. In addition, Andy's character began with a much more broken-hearted foundation, but when he "gave up," it was hard to buy why a normal person would have fought so hard, but then not even consider the option for reconciliation when it came to fruition. It just didn't seem natural. All things considered, though, Celeste and Jesse Forever is much better than most Hollywood junk and Rashida is one to watch for in the future as it is clear she is a diamond in the rough.

• Oct 29, 2017

Not as great as I was expecting and not as great as it thinks it's being by trying to avoid the rom-com cliches. Enough of it works at times.

• Mar 12, 2017

so boring.lousy writing. turned it off half way through.

so boring.lousy writing. turned it off half way through.

• Feb 14, 2017

Excellent excellent romantic comedy!!! Highly Recommended!!

Excellent excellent romantic comedy!!! Highly Recommended!!

• Feb 01, 2017

I want to give this film 3 1/4 stars. It felt clumsy but there's something painful there.

• Nov 18, 2016

The relationship of Celeste and Jesse is powerful as portrayed by Jones and Samberg. However, it breaks down since their screen time together dwindles as the movie progresses; the most powerful scenes include the two of them, and the movie's plot seems without direction when they're not together. The supporting characters carry little weight and are forgettable. Still, a good performance from Jones in an uncommon leading role salvages the film to the degree she could.

• Jul 19, 2016

A really excellent and refreshing movie that has become one of my favourites. The characters are funny and interesting and the feelings real. Be prepared to rewatch over and over, (and get a little weepy every time).

• Jun 10, 2016

Four years later and I still can't get over how wonderful this movie is. This film has so much going for it; a strong and poignant script, a talented cast, breathtaking cinematography throughout, not to mention Rashida Jone's vulnerable and genius performance; add all that and a killer score, everything about this film comes together and just WORKS. Celeste and Jesse Forever is beautiful, bittersweet, and tremulously underrated, in my opinion. Please, watch this movie. Highly highly recommend.