CÚline et Julie Vont en Bateau (Celine and Julie Go Boating) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

CÚline et Julie Vont en Bateau (Celine and Julie Go Boating) Reviews

January 21, 2008
This is really whimsical, joyful stuff; Lewis Carroll for twisted adults.
January 9, 2008
Rivette's has always been my favorite of the French New Wave directors and this is why...Oddly this three hour film was a huge hit when it was originally screened. Quite bizarre, even for Rivette but so charming and fun.
January 6, 2008
Weird and quite long but worth sticking with
December 27, 2007
What the magic of cinema is all about
November 29, 2007
Brilliant and mesmerising.
November 23, 2007
Celine and Julie sent me to sleep
November 21, 2007
It's difficult to describe what it actually is because nothing's properly established. Even the title is very unintuitive. Is it a dream? A dream within a dream? Are the girls drugged? To say too much is to put people off going anywhere near it which would be a shame because it's a gripping, trippy, scary, annoying, charming masterpiece. There's is simply no other film like this. Go see.
½ November 13, 2007
A big influence on David Lynch (especially noticeable in "Mullholland Drive"), Rivette's film is compelling, intriguing, playful, irritating, infuriating and ultimately an absolute joy all in equal measures!
½ November 12, 2007
Not enough creativity to sustain interest through Rivette's insistant length. Nevertheless this has a magic to it which made it worthwhile
½ November 8, 2007
These girls are adorable, but although the friends I was with to see this giggled along throughout the entire thing, they thought it was excruiating. I like the pace, it's sort of obsessive-compulsive in structure.
½ November 6, 2007
What an infuriating movie! With two leads that stomp, squeal and giggle throughout it does your head in for the most part. Plays like some smug amateur dramatics production.
November 6, 2007
Crazy and beautiful. Surreal and haunting. I love it so.
November 4, 2007
A delightful romp through the imagination.
November 4, 2007
I have a dream: one day I will be very rich and will build a room where Celine and Julie Go Boating is continuously projected on a white wall.
½ October 30, 2007
Extremely odd film. Really loks.
October 26, 2007
Among the most fascinating films. Certainly the best film of the French New Wave.
October 21, 2007
I love Jacques Rivette! His movies are really long, but they do something that no other films can.
October 21, 2007
Non mais, je veux go├╗ter aux bonbons, moi aussi.
October 15, 2007
There are a lot of great movies about making movies. This is the greatest one about WATCHING them. A hilarious, playful, delightfully interactive experience.
October 3, 2007
This is a truly wonderful film. But the viewer has to be very patient and in the right frame of mind. (Unlike my wife) Trippy and playful in turns, this ends being one of the most,hypnotic movies ever made.