CÚline et Julie Vont en Bateau (Celine and Julie Go Boating) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

CÚline et Julie Vont en Bateau (Celine and Julie Go Boating) Reviews

July 19, 2010
Don't take it very seriously ;)
½ June 17, 2010
could've been a masterpiece if it wasn't for the horrible editing and the not-so-engaging acting
May 27, 2010
Whimsy and dreamlike ! Juliet Berto is a joy to watch!
½ May 16, 2010
Broke out the old VCR tonight for the first time in many years to watch Celine and Julie Go Boating. For years I have needed to knock out this flick. It was the highest rated, critically acclaimed film I had yet to see. Thank you Xal for getting me the tapes. :) Too bad the movie was a let down. Three hours of two moronic French women acting like ponces. Is there any other way for the French to act? According to most French cinema - no!
February 20, 2010
There?s cinema, and then there?s CÚline and Julie Go Boating. Jacques Rivette's free-form dissertation on the interzone between performance and spectatorship is the ideal filmgoing experience, even as the ?story? transcends all long-standing rules of narrative engagement. It?s the Ulysses of moving pictures: You can feel Rivette exploring the art form?s modes of expression and then erasing their borders, one by one.
December 31, 2009
In some ways a rip-off of Daisies, but enough differences to make it fresh. In Chytilova's film, the girls are playful forces of destruction; here they are playful forces of creativity. This film is really about the power and joy of imagination, and it's executed in a way that incorporates surreal elements without ever getting too confusing. It does get rather tedious at times, though, and most of scenes are lingered on far longer than necessary. The girls are alternately charming and annoying.
December 30, 2009
what an extraordinary movie! Worth the slow boring bits, absolutely. Total must-see for anyone who loves watching films or fancies themself the movie buff. It helped to read a plot summary after the second time I'd watched it, but it spoils it, I think, to know too much, doesn't it, Rosebud?
December 25, 2009
Le film se matine d'ennui dans la spirale de la stagnation triomphante a la derniere heure, quand les actrices prennent le controle devant un Rivette charme et attentiste.
November 6, 2009
One out of 3, who have seen this film, say - "The best film I have ever seen". I can relate to their enthusiam. Imaginative, sublime, mind blowing and utterly hilarious at the right moment. The best "Alice seeking Wonderland" story you can find. Never released in the US., and the academy pretended in 1975 that there were technical reasons why it wasnt shown nor even mentioned in any magazine, perhaps, the LA producers were terrorfied that the best films are coming from overseas.. Perish the thought!
½ September 22, 2009
I was bewildered by this initially, but I kind of love it. It's pretty strange, and hard to follow at times--imagine David Lynch making a Howard Hawks movie, and you have kind of an idea of what this is like, but it's also funny and charming and has some interesting thoughts about the relationship between art and spectator. Just don't go in expecting something easy to follow.
September 22, 2009
Too few boats for my liking.
½ September 11, 2009
Well, this was certainly a bizzare film. This was my introduction to Jacques Rivette, so I'll ge seeking out his other works. The title characters are wonderful and perfect together. I preferred the second half to the first half (I loved the entire storyline with the soap opera family that lived in the house, which by the way, I had no idea that Barbet Schroeder, "Olivier" did all this stuff, including directing Reversal of Fortune and Single White Female). But back to the movie, it's very original and has so many great scenes, especially the finale. And I love that there were times in the film I couldn't tell whether it was Celine or Julie in a particular scene. Another film that requires multiple viewings.
July 31, 2009
for two days i was not sure whether to give it four or five stars , then i decided "why not"? i really enjoyed it ..
two girls sharing an imaginary mysterious story about a house , a murder , a childlike dark fairytale to break the boredome of the day ...
a magician and a librarian entering the house as housekeepers and be parts of this enigmatic story , eating magic candies , swallowing magic potions to recall what happened inside this house , to solve the murder mystery and to save the girl... ending up in a boat with the little girl they saved... back to lightness , to life to start another adventure .

i really cherich the 3 hours i spent watching and being a part of the magic world of Revitte.
May 14, 2009
Odd but thoroughly enjoyable little surreal film. Overlong though.
May 11, 2009
What the hell?? I understood next to nothing of this one - fortunately, after a quick peek on IMDb I realized that you weren't necessarily supposed to do so. It's a hallucinatory movie about two women whose minds merge (possibly), two narratives that intervene with endlessly repeating scenes/lines, a film within a film etc. - you get the picture. Plus they only ever went boating after three hours! Will definitely watch this one again.
littlecharmer1959
March 18, 2009
Watching 'Celine and Julie Go Boating' may well have been the most bizarre, wonderful and memorable three hours of my life.
March 9, 2009
I am looking for those movies. I wish I knew the mighty place where they all hide.
IN THE NIGHT. IN THE DARK!!!!!!
March 8, 2009
It is mad. Somewhere deep inside all of us is a child tring to get out, although in my case it is more like an adult trying to get in. In the old days we had to make our own fun because we only had three tv channels & they closed all afternoon. No computers. No video games. We had one hi fi in the house which belonged to Dad and we weren't allowed to touch it. We had to use our imaginations. We would invent games, scenarios, travel through time, all that stuff. If we believed it then it had to be real. This film sems to apply the same kind of childish logic. The last frame is a classic. I feel like watching it all over again. The release date is wrong. It was actually released in the mid seventies.
March 1, 2009
Holy shit! This movie was made in (correction)1974 and feels as modern as something made today. Rivette made a nano-budget Alice and Wonderland which can slug itself along and feel a trite bit "student filmish" but it rides on the charms of its two ladies (no Anna Karina's but still ladies, no?) and Rivette's gaze.

I like it! Though in retrospect this movie seems a little too loosey goosey to be the work of a new wave master by the mid 70s. Then again from what I hear this guy Rivette is the king as far as cinematic meandering goes. So be it.
February 13, 2009
Loved it, loved it! I knew I'd fell in love with this film. It's mysterious and crazy Alice in wonderland adventure. Exactly my type of movie.