Cello (Chello hongmijoo ilga salinsagan) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cello (Chello hongmijoo ilga salinsagan) Reviews

October 5, 2015
I loved the Asian horror/ghost movies when they first exploded in the early 2000s, but after a while they got really, really old. This is one of those less inspired affairs. It's very predictable (it has the same basic twist as EVERY one of these movies) and it's definitely not scary. The ghost doesn't look scary (just a cheaper version of the Ring-like ghost we've seen a million times) and the acting is so bad it borders on camp when this movie is supposed to be taken serious. The special effects are overblown and look terrible too. There are some nice shots with people covered in blood, but that's about the only nice thing I can say about this otherwise forgettable mess.
February 25, 2015
Broken, disjointed, and illogical
February 6, 2013
i want to see this movie
½ December 4, 2012
This koreon horror does not add anything new to the genre, but it tries pretty damn hard. The acting is brilliant for such a low budget film and the effects are terrific. This is not however a scare-per-minute affair, but more a moody melodrama that is really quite shallow in depth. The attempts to weave A Tale Of Two Sister twists are a hit-miss affair, with the ending summarising the film as a collection of scares borrowed from an array of films. When it gets it right its brilliant, but when it resorts to too many cliches it seems the genre is weary and tiresome.
June 11, 2012
A celloist no longer plays because of something in her past, but what will happen when that comes back to haunt her. This is some great horror fun.
½ February 12, 2012
It had a lot of potential to be an excellent film but it was disappointing. The ending was not good and it could have been so much better. The blood and guts part of the film was OK but for a Korean film, it was not very graphic as I am used to. The acting in the film was OK but not spectacular and neither was the directing. It was a slow 90 minutes which is never good.
½ September 11, 2011
Cello is an atmospheric, emotionally-driven psychological horror/drama from South Korea. It's basically about a woman with traumatic events in her past that come back to haunt her and her family.

I call it a horror/drama because it has its frightening moments, but a large part of the movie is devoted to the relationships between the main character, Mi-ju and her autistic daughter, and the past relationship of Mi-ju and her very close friend, Tae-Yeon. I found myself caring a lot more about the characters (and any potential danger to them) in Cello more than I usually do in horror movies, because so much time was devoted to developing them as people and not just kill-fodder. There are so truly horrifying moments in this movie, which gives it a heft and impact that goes beyond just visceral thrills. Cello is a very sad film, and that wouldn't have worked at all without characters that you actually care about.

It's not hard to figure out what's going on with the story, as Mi-ju seeming falls prey to either a malevolent ghostly presence or her own crumbling mind, but fortunately the plot throws enough curves to keep even veterans of the genre from being able to predict everything that's going to happen.

Put plainly, I liked Cello. It was somewhat different from the recent horror movies I've seen, and undeniably well-made. I recommend it.
WrenchLT
September 9, 2011
Slow-moving Korean horror/melodrama with another pissed-off ghost out for revenge at the centre of the story. Not bad, but just not scary or lively enough early-on. It develops an unsettling atmosphere and some well staged death scenes, some bloody too. Worth a look for lovers of Asian horror but it is similar in style and plot to others out there.
March 29, 2011
Better than many american horrors in some ways, but lacking in other ways; such as trying to throw in so many twists. makes it seem too contrived
½ December 16, 2010
A dark and twisted ride.
October 3, 2010
I think I'll listen to what others say on this one and avoid if it turns out as badly as I hear.
½ September 26, 2010
Our friends over at Asia may be running out of ideas when it comes to ghost tales, but they still got the knack to craft an engrossing drama. No wonder Asian soaps are so successful!

This is what CELLO basically is. Despite the title, its not about a cello that causes harm like the stilettos in THE RED SHOES. Its a drama that succeeds at sucking you in but fails when bringing its own ideas of psychological horror. It wants to be the new A TALE OF TWO SISTERS. Is it? Not quite. Nice try though.
August 17, 2010
My all time favorite Korean horror flick.
½ May 17, 2010
This koreon horror does not add anything new to the genre, but it tries pretty damn hard. The acting is brilliant for such a low budget film and the effects are terrific. This film is not a scare-per-minute fair, but more a moody melodrama that is really quite shallow in depth. The attempts to weave A Tale Of Two Sister twists are a hit-miss affair, with the ending summarising the film as a collection of scares borrowed from an array of films. When it gets it right its brilliant, but when it resorts to too many cliches it seems the genre is weary and tiresome.
Title: Cello

Year: 2005

Cast: Da-an Park, Hyeon-a Song

MPAA: Not Rated

My Rating: 1.5 Stars (Out of Five)

PLOT: Music instructor buys her mentally challenged daughter a cello, for some odd reason or other. Soon, spooky (and inevitable) shenanigans start going down. Stop me if you've heard this one...

REVIEW: Yawn. I used to jump at the chance to get to check out a new Asian horror flick, but the jumping turned into eye-rolling when the new cheap imitators started to be regurtitaed out. THE CELLO turned out the be at the bottom of the puke pile. Let's start with the story. Haunted cello, nothing special, unimaginatvie idea. The motives of the ghost, also cliche and unoriginal. However, this movie tries to make it all "fresh", by adding stupid little twists here and there toward the end, but by then I was so bored that none of them mattered. The "scares" also were ineffective, I didn't even jump at the cheap BOO scares tha went down.

The characters didn't earn my concern, either. They were either one-dimensional, or just there to look creepy. The worst of the lot was the housekeeper, who's history was talked about, but really didn't end up doing much throughout the movie except lurk and by spooky-looking. She also provided a lot of plot holes in this corpse of a flick (who the hell leaves her young kids with a suicidal housekeeper you JUST met?).

Near the end of the movie, one of the twists actually worked for me. It was followed up by an actually decent climax, but it was all ruined thanks to a turn for a "happy ending", followed by the predictable final frame that had my eyes rolling (but glad it was over). So, overall, if you're a fan of the genre, stick to the classics, don't try out these new imitator flicks, there's not enough plot or scares to make it worth its price (even if it's free).

VIOLENCE: 7/10 A fair amount with a car crash victim, a dead bird, and a couple brutal corpses (disturbing because of who they were).

LAUGHS: 1/10 Nothing intentional, but I scoffed quite a bit.
½ May 17, 2010
Las luces estaban apagadas. Era raro que no hubiera nadie, ya era tarde. Dejo el bolso en el sofa. Su voz le sono a ella misma asustada y rota, llamando en el silencio de la casa. No se oia a la pequenya, como era posible? Cruzo el salon, encendio las luces y abrio la puerta de la habitacion de Yun-hye. Todo estaba ordenado, la cama hecha y los juguetes en su sitio.
Subio arriba, la cabeza loca de Kyung-ran estaria en su cuarto, delante del ordenador o escribiendole una carta al novio. Pero la habitacion tambien estaba vacia.
Empezo a asustarse. La puerta del cuarto de al lado se abrio sin dificultad. Alli dormia Yun-jin. En la oscuridad pudo atisbar la mesita de noche, y sobre ella, recortado perfectamente contra el ventanal, el triangulo obsceno del metronomo. La aguja se movia sola, de forma absurda, tic-tac, tic-tac, tic-tac. Se apoyo en el dintel, en busca del equilibrio que estaba perdiendo. Quiza fue por el miedo, o por el movimiento incomprensible del metronomo, pero el dolorosisimo pinchazo tras los ojos volvio a sentirse entonces. Se le nublo ligeramente la vista y cerro su mente contra lo que venia hacia ella, como una marea negra. En ese mismo momento las luces se apagaron.

En la oscuridad del pasillo, la esencia de su hija mayor se hizo presente, y Mi-ju sintio miedo por ella. Una rendija de luz al final del pasillo dejaba adivinar la puerta de las escaleras del atico?

[size=1](extraido de la novelizacion de "Cello" o -titulo provisional- "Aqui no sobrevive ni el apuntador", peli coreana de terror recomendada por la Inquisicion)[/size]
May 17, 2010
[i][b]Little Miss Sunshine[/b][/i] >> >> Depressingly hopeful comedy with quirky performances and good pacing.

[b][i] Sorry, Haters[/i][/b] >> >> Apparently this film has split critics. If I recall, there was one who said this film is "un-American." I think that's absurd. It's not a perfect movie, but it's an interesting view on the after effects of 9/11.

[i][b] A Sound of Thunder[/b][/i] >> >> A low budget sci-fi movie about time travel that just isn't as fun as it could have been and it's illogicality doesn't make sense.

[b][i] Lucky Number Slevin [/i][/b]>> >> Very witty and charming to begin with, eventually becomes too serious and turns into the usual crime caper.

[i][b]Cello [/b][/i]>> >> The first 3/4 of the film is excruciating, and by the time the decent ending comes along... it doesn't matter anymore. It's not that it was really slow. I don't mind slower pacing. I love [i]Gerry[/i]. Go watch that beautiful film if you want slow pacing. It's that [i]Cello [/i]is trying to be mysterious and suspenseful but fails because it lacks focus.
½ May 17, 2010
Gah! What a pile of pants! I was expecting a weird and original film but instead ended up sitting through cliche-ridden garbage. There was nothing at all orginal in here - it's all stuff you've seen a hundred times before. The one bright point was the younger daughter who provided some comic relief. The audience got a few chuckles at other points in the film, mostly at points that were supposed to be scary. Doesn't anyone sit through these films before they are released and point this crap out??
Dont waste your time with this one.
May 1, 2010
Pretty good but don't watch this thinking it's going to be really creepy,expect blood.