Centurion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Centurion Reviews

jamrcla
½ July 18, 2017
Not a film Michael Fassbender will be remembered for but I suppose this film had its moments not many mind you, It's very bloody battle scenes are the only thing to take away from this film but even they feel cheap at times but a few gory kills help things along, The story didn't excite me and ended up being the least interesting part of the film, It got predictable and it's sometimes boring, It should of ended 10 minutes earlier but at least Michael Fassbender tries to make this a better film but even he can't help this film feel dragged out and very forgettable.
April 26, 2017
Centurion is a disappointing film. It is about a splinter group of Roman soldiers who fight for their lives behind enemy lines after their legion is decimated in a devastating guerrilla attack. Michael Fassbender and Dominic West give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Neil Marshall did a terrible directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
April 25, 2017
One of those rar movies
April 9, 2017
Like watching someone play W.o.W.
March 8, 2017
Despite its B classification by fans and pundits alike, Centurion provides a balance of entertainment and reenactment of a period of British history - Roman Britain. The best way to watch it is as a different version of Apocalypto - the trial and tribulation of a man hunted down, in this case it is not Mayan warriors chasing down out of revenge a backwater hunter who shamed them but a Roman centurion chased by the "barbaric" Pict warriors bent on revenge. It is worth the watch.
January 24, 2017
Pretty good average kind of film. Good for some entertainment value, but it is no Gladiator, Braveheart, or Troy.
December 31, 2016
This would have been a better B Ratted movie.
½ October 21, 2016
Very gory, and there were a few things that I either thought were lacking or just didn't like, but all things considered it is pretty good if you are interested in the period or the genre.
September 7, 2016
Finally played catch up on this one via TiVo recording, where it had languished for the better part of a year or more, and I have to say that I enjoyed it pretty well. The leads are all solid and the period costuming and grime really puts you into the miserable desperation of the characters.

Easily worth a cable look or rental if you have the chance.
August 31, 2016
A lacking first act weakens Centurion, but half an hour in you will be viscerally entertained by its performances, gore and suspense.
½ March 17, 2016
Well, they never make a perfect midevil war film anymore, and don't get me wrong this is far from perfect, but it's not bad either. The action is great and Michael Fassbenfer acts actually pretty well. But it's not old English for one. If it's this far back in history, they're not gonna sound like people do now. The Witch is a perfect example of how they are supposed to talk, and this films acting, I'm still on Centurion is not well among the actors around Fassbender. But it's enjoyable, and has its moments.
It's also on Netflix
March 12, 2016
Solid performances and direction can't make up for thin plotting.
Grade: C+
March 6, 2016
Gratuitously bloody, poorly written silliness.
½ January 29, 2016
Based on the legend of the Ninth Legion, Centurion is an action-packed historical thriller. After a devastating attack by the Picts a Roman governor sends the Ninth Legion into the northern territory of Britain to destroy the Pict tribe; but the campaign goes badly, leaving only a handful of survivors to struggle to avoid capture and make it back to the Roman lines. Starring Michael Fassbender, Olga Kurylenko, Imogen Poots, and Dominic West, the film has a solid cast. And it's beautifully shot, with sweeping landscapes and authentic looking costumes and sets. However, the violence is a little too gratuitous in its gore, and it takes a while for the story to get going. Overall, Centurion is a fairly run-of-the-mill action film and doesn't really have much ambition.
December 29, 2015
A good bit of blood n' guts n' Romans, and Fassbender is always watchable.
½ November 7, 2015
- I had seen this before and enjoyed it, but was distracted by the CGI blood. This time I just really enjoyed it as an action film. The opening shot pulled me in and I was with the movie the whole time. When I saw it before, I hadn't yet seen Fassbender as "Magneto" or many other roles so it was nice seeing it being more familiar with him now. Same for Imogen Poots. The cinematography is gorgeous. Definitely recommended!

- I really wanted to like this one, had a cool premise with interesting actors and decent genre director, but it just didn't fully work for me. One major issue I had with it was the excessive use of CGI blood, it was very violent with the CGI blood flying everywhere and it always pulled me out of the film. Fassbender was good in his role, can't wait to see him as "Magneto"!
½ October 26, 2015
The chase across the baron atmospheric lands of wild northern Europe makes for an appealing visual experience. The actual story is not overly invigorating as the top and tail of why this is happening is weak and merely sets up a sequel rather than giving any significance to the film.
October 22, 2015
whoever wrote the dialogue, never went to school...unbelievably bad
October 21, 2015
It seems there has been a rash of this sort of period "Romans vs Savages in northern Britain" popping up (is this the UK version of a western?), all of which are brutal and gritty and grey but also familiar and obvious and forgettable. "Centurion" has a great cast, which helps, but the story makes the performances seem almost two dimensional. There is only so much the actors can do. If you liked films like "The Eagle" and "King Arthur" then this may be your thing. Otherwise, skip it.
August 11, 2015
B-grade hack and slay film, but rather entertaining especially with the performance of Michael Fassbender to raise its level just a little higher.