Ceremony - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ceremony Reviews

½ August 31, 2014
Quirky, pseudo-intellectual, and stylistic, but lacking emotional grip. Angarano gives a strange performance that I couldn't quite get into or believe. Same with the rest of the cast for that matter. But there are some interesting moments that are memorable and worth seeing.
May 5, 2013
Not a very good comedy, it's pretty depressing actually, it had a boring story line too
April 29, 2013
I can't remember last time i got so bored during a movie..
½ January 26, 2013
I liked it. It takes place pretty much in one location for the majority of the movie but it's a gorgeous setting. The ideal place for a wedding ceremony. The actors all did a good job, especially Angarano and Thompson who are very charming in their respective roles. Angarano is cute as the fast-talking, wide-eyed idealist, Sam. Lee Pace is great as Whit. He's a guy who you want to dislike because he is what's standing between Sam and Zoe, but you really can't. He's sort of vain but also vaguely endearing, in a doofus kind of way.
It's a movie where you already know how it's going to end even though you want it to end another way. It's non-traditional and quirky, with some terrific dialogue and humorous moments. It's also sort of sweet and Sam, although kind of a jerk, is a very sympathetic character that you root for in spite of his shortcomings.
½ December 27, 2012
Zoe: Whit thought it would be nice for us to schedule our wedding while he already had everyone here for his birthday weekend.
Sam Davis: Hold on - nothing about that statement seems odd to you?
½ December 1, 2012
Think of My Best Friend's Wedding, but from the view of a man.
Had many of the cliches, but it still was a good movie worth watching.
½ August 30, 2012
An alien who'd seen a couple of crappy indie films might have made this, although he'd have had to be the stupidest alien on his planet. People you don't like in an unconvincing situation, with lame dialogue and just why oh why did anyone bother?
August 28, 2012
A lively coming-of-age. It is overall a charming movie with charming performance by charming people. Lee Pace's British accent is just yuummm. But it is unfortunately forgettable.
½ July 17, 2012
Verging on 4 of 5. I enjoyed it a lot. Reminds me a good deal of Wes Anderson.
June 24, 2012
Ceremony is a poor man's Wes Anderson. But a poor man's Wes Anderson is better than most the other drivel out there.
June 2, 2012
A guy crashes a wedding to win the bride-to-be back into this life period. That's all this movie was all about. I couldn't stay awake to see the ending but then again I didn't care. Definitely not worth your time watching this movie. I am only giving it two stars because of Uma.
May 21, 2012
This was much better than the ratings would have you believe. It starts off a little bit dull and like it might be a second rate rip of The Wedding Crashers. Quite honestly I was expecting a suckfest (I still haven't quite forgiven Uma for the awful "Accidental Husband").
I was glad I stuck it out, though, as this was quite a nice story about the one that got away. The ending wasn't really obvious (even at the ending there was a little left to your own imagination), and it just had really good characters. More like an indie film that the chick flick it appears to be. Maybe that's why the low rating.
SC007
½ May 19, 2012
Michael Angarano's performance is the best reason to check out this film. It is one of his best so far. The film reminded me of movies like Tadpole, Rushmore, and Igby Goes Down.

What works here is the performances. Angarano is perfectly casted in the role. He has a good on screen chemistry with Reece Daniel Thompson. Lee Pace was also good in the film, but he reminded me too much of Clive Owen. Uma Thurman was good too, but I wouldn't have casted her in this role.

The problem that I had with the film was that I didn't think that Angarano and Thurman had a good on screen chemistry in the movie. They were good in the film, but not as a couple. I just didn't buy them as a couple. That is why I think if another actress was cast in Thurman's role, there would have probably been a better on screen chemistry.

Still the film is worth checking out for Angarano's performance.
May 13, 2012
The pace was a little slow and the story wasn't a happy one.
Harlequin68
½ May 8, 2012
In "Ceremony," Sam(Michael Angarano), a children's book writer, persuades his friend Marshall(Reece Thompson) to spend the weekend on Long Island in order to escape their stalled lives. What Sam does not tell his friend at the time is that he plans on crashing the wedding of Zoe(Uma Thurman) to Whit(Lee Pace), a documentary filmmaker, which he found about through a Dear John postcard. Their infiltration succeeds through the unintentional efforts of Teddy(Jake Johnson), Zoe's inebriated brother. So, if all else fails, there is alcohol and cute women like Esme(Rebecca Mader).

With a Kate Bush song on the soundtrack, "Ceremony" is not entirely worthless. To be honest, the movie aims to be an offbeat romantic comedy, with a side dish of literary pretensions.(Is that "The Great Gatsby" that Marshall is reading because it would explain a lot?) Instead, it is mostly insufferable, due in no large part to Michael Angarano coming off too strong, with none of the requisite vulnerability that could have led us to believe Sam is more than just a borderline stalker.(It's especially strange since I've liked Angarano in other movies in the past.) But at least Reece Thompson shows what could have been in the few scenes without his boisterous co-star. Otherwise, we would have nothing left but to feel sorry for Uma Thurman.
April 10, 2012
I was just waiting for it to be over.
½ April 7, 2012
Now, I am going to be rather harsh on Max Winkler here but keep my rating in mind. Winkler's debut feature film, "Ceremony," is a self conscious effort. He wears his influences so clearly on his sleeve that it borders on theft. This guy needs to buy some DVDs that aren't by Wes Anderson. Max Winkler is clearly great at dialogue, his screenplay sparkles with wit. Where this fails is that the scenario can be unconvincing and false. To make up for this, Winkler clearly has a way with actors and Michael Angarano, Uma Thurman, Lee Pace, Jake Johnson and newcomer Reece Thompson are all excellent. They are able to form honest characters out of Winkler's characterizations. He is able to help shape real people out of his cutouts, which is an odd talent to have. But what ultimately makes "Ceremony" very worthwhile is the tone. This is an incredibly feisty and clever picture. Is it a misguided attempt at being overly trendy? Yes. Does Max Winkler need to trust himself more as a filmmaker? Absolutely. As it stands, "Ceremony" is very enjoyable as a 'hipster' flick and it really is a rather promising debut. I hope Max Winkler continues to grow as a filmmaker because he has potential.
½ February 27, 2012
With many actors that I enjoy and the fact that it's a small budget indie film, I thought it held a lot of potential. Plus, the storyline sounded like it could be quite fun to watch play out, with a guy (and his unassuming friend who he drags along) go to a weekend wedding party in order to break it up becaue the guy is in love with the soon-to-be bride. But, instead of being fun and a bit zany the film was just sluggish and drawn out (which is rather sad since it is only about 1 hour and 25 minutes long). Despite its being slow, the movie did have a few moments where it shined, but the lack of consistency throughout made it hard for me to root for any of the characters. Overall, it's just an ok film.
½ February 27, 2012
Pure torture. Boring as hell and the lead character will give you the heebie geebies. If you don't want to lose 2 hours of your life - and never get it back - watch this crap or avoid it and remain happy.