Certain Women Reviews

• Jan 19, 2021

Certain Women is a 2016 American drama film edited, written, and directed by Kelly Reichardt πŸ‘©πŸΌ It's ok, but I feel mixed about this one πŸ˜‰ I'd recommend it if you like this genre, but if not then probably give it a miss πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘ŽπŸΌ While the pace is very slow, I was somehow drawn to these unusual stories. The third one was particularly moving.

• Dec 31, 2020

loved it. Would see it again.

loved it. Would see it again.

• Oct 10, 2020

Boring. The info said the 3 women's lives would intersect, but not really. A lot of time was spent on the rancher woman but she was not identified as one of the 3 whose lives intersected - perhaps a bit of discrimination against the native american woman. Instead, the woman she interacted with was listed as one of the three, but not much time was spent on her. Way too much time on boring scenes.

• Jul 07, 2020

I watch movies for entertainment. This movie went nowhere. Waiting for the characters to 'spit it out'. Everyone keeping each other hanging. What a waste of time.

• Jul 04, 2020

It hits you over the head with its message, but not a lot is going on.

It hits you over the head with its message, but not a lot is going on.

• Apr 29, 2020

worst movie ever put me to sleep

worst movie ever put me to sleep

• Feb 26, 2020

For foreign amateur reviewers on metacritic who complain that Hollywood never strays far from explosions and car chases, this is a reminder you can always find American art-school drama. It's a character study about women, obviously, three short stories that just barely and arbitrarily intersect. (Our favorite one about men is "Saint Jack" [1978] with Ben Gazzara in Singapore, which was shot in secret to avoid Singapore's nanny-state censors.) Some homegrown amateurs on metacritic complain that nothing "happened." Kids, write this down: there was a lot happening in emotional depth and light feminist themes in the backdrop of a vast, lonely, Montana vista that was a treat in itself. Not everything needs to follow a linear narrative with dramatic spikes or tropes. In any case, it's great to see Laura Dern in low gear after her manic performance in A-List TV ("Enlightened") as well as Jared Harris from "Mad Men."

• Feb 17, 2020

Certain Women is a quiet study of a film. A film about four strong women and how they navigate their way through the world. Kelly Reichardt makes slow, contemplative films and this one is no different. It does move at a slow pace but I think that actually deepens the impact rather than lessens it. It allows the viewer to take in all the subtleties and enjoy it even further. This film is based on short stories and it feels that way with separate stories about women in small town Montana. There is a lawyer battling to help her client, which ultimately ends in a hostage situation. A wife and mother trying to build her dreamhouse and lastly a young lawyer teaching a night class. In the night class stumbles a young farm hand who develops an ambiguous crush. We quietly see how they view the world and more importantly how the world views them. It's a very quiet film with only one scene having a music score. It is superbly acted with Laura Dern, Michelle Williams, Kristen Stewart and newcomer Lily Gladstone showing off their acting skills. Reichardt is superb at making naturalistic and realistic films that glow in their quiet humanity. This film is no different.

• Feb 23, 2019

Watching grass grow may be more interesting. A movie only critics could love. There is not a plot.

• Dec 15, 2018

Pointless movie. Did not enjoy, sorry Michelle Williams and Laura Dern wasted their time on this.