Certifiably Jonathan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Certifiably Jonathan Reviews

½ January 15, 2012
Could have been a lot better, but it just didn't quite work. The movie gets depressing at points.
November 22, 2011
This is the funniest thing i've seen in years. Not only because it allows Winters to be unfettered. Not only for the classic clips included. Not only because we get to see Robin and his Gandalf work their magic. It's the funniest thing i've seen in years because it made a fool out of me. I really thought this was a real documentary, but as it goes on...you begin to wonder. And then as it goes, due to the great acting by Winters and crew, there are genuine moments of pathos...which of course is all staged and not geniune. That's the genius of this film.

Because it is at the same time a tribute to Winters, a true documentary of his life and a chance to see him as himself, and at the same time Winters is also sending up himself, his art, his comedy, etc.

Yes, often it goes Spinal Tap and tries and succeeds to be really funny on purpose, "look i'm a mockumentary", but it is a great film as well due to its range because it never milks everything for a laugh. It is also a great satire on the art world in general. No, Winters' work will never be in the MOMA. His art is great enough but it will never be due to the politics of the art world. Winters is the rarest of artists...he is able to take neither himself or his art seriously...which is why he is a great artist and a national treasure and why it is wonderful to see modern comedians in this film look six inches tall in his presence.

A classic.
½ March 10, 2011
Thought this was going to be a documentary. It's a "fake" documentary that never makes the natural leap to mockumentary... so it sits uncomfortably straddling both sides... fully committing to neither.
½ March 8, 2011
This film was one of the strangest I've ever seen -- on one hand, a great homage, and on the other hand, done in an entirely characteristic, aka mad kind of way! Any more info would require constant spoiler alerts -- suffice it to say, what you see turns out not at all to be what it seems! And with a running time of 71 minutes, it's over before you know it, and then you can ask, 'what was that?!!'
February 21, 2011
Wonderful thoughtful, insightful, often hilarious inside look into one of the great comedic minds of all time. Truly a pleasure.
February 19, 2011
Loved the improvization and talent of Jonathan Winters.
½ October 17, 2010
I have worshipped Jonathan Winters since I was very small and it was a treat to see this very odd quasi-documentary showing Winters at a career crossroads as he approaches 80, trying to get recognition as a painter while still thoroughly gifted as an improvising comedic genius. Pasternak is telling a very interesting joke here, as much as jokes are really the most basic form of storytelling we have. Lots of cameos, some much more effective than others, but you have to respect the sort of guerrilla film-making involved here. Anyone underwhelmed by I'm Still Here or bored by F Is For Fake you head down the rabbit hole with Jonathan Winters.
½ November 29, 2008
This is a hysterical documentary film that slips fictional out of nowhere. It is as wacky and unpredictable as Jonathan Winters, with cameos by Robin Williams, Howie Mandel, Sarah Silverman, and others.