Certified Copy (Copie Conforme) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Certified Copy (Copie Conforme) Reviews

½ March 11, 2015
Slican "Before" trilogiji i bas kao i tamo, strpljivost nenadano biva nagradjena.
½ March 8, 2015
La genialidad son las muchas lecturas que puede tener este film.
March 2, 2015
I'm sure there's something about this movie that I'm missing, but this one just felt like a less interesting, more pretentious version of Linklater's Before series. Binoche is great as always, but I just really couldn't connect with most of what was going on. I'm clearly in the minority here, so maybe I should watch it again sometime.
February 23, 2015
Well acted drama with a mid-film change up that was hard for me to accept. Repeat viewings might be necessary.
½ January 28, 2015
A failed attempt at imitating Before Sunrise.
½ November 15, 2014
I wanted to love this one, some strong writing and great performance by Binoche, but it's also somewhat talky and pretentious. The lead male character was also super annoying and pulled me out of the story. Still, watch and judge for yourself, nice alternative to the big Hollywood blockbusters!
November 13, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Certified Copy was a film that I found too difficult to review during my initial viewing, as its ideas were so complex and ambiguous that I actually needed a couple of months in contemplation, just to get a sort of grasp on what I just experienced. Though in saying all of that, I was entertained with what I saw, fuelled by the chemistry and performances by its two leading cast members and leaving with an open ending that would urge one to come back and go through their journey all over again.

The film overall is about perception. Is what we are seeing authentic or is it just a copy of something else, and does it even matter if the end result is still the same? Is their relationship seen as important and powerful, just because we are seeing it in a respected medium and handled by a respected director? The film asks daring and thought provoking questions, but it never gives away the answers. Abbas Kiarostami inserts ideologies and symbolism throughout the film, but they only act as a guide for the audience, and overall it still relies on the perception on the viewer. Many people can see the characters playing pretend, applying transference of their own personal history into the relationship, but possessing and conveying genuine emotions. Some may see the film as a complete Meta and Kiarostami simply pushing his ideas of the relationship between cinema or art and the perception of its audience; is this film about love any different from the others that follow the same journey as these two characters had. I was more in tuned with the latter, finding more the metaphorical meaning behind this simple yet also complex relationship; stirring our minds, especially in regards to the Coca Cola idea that was brought up early in the film.

The performances in this film were outstanding, developing that strong chemistry between its two leads, making the slow transition feel natural, especially in its emotions. The film only runs for an hour and 46 minutes, but it never felt draggy even with its lack of incidence; the film is comprised mainly of chatter back and forth between the two characters, some parts were natural and emotional while others were more concerned on the larger aspects of life and love, showing conflicts in perspectives between the two individuals. Sometimes when dialogue drags itself on for too long, I could get restless and distracted, but Kiarostami and co-writer Caroline Eliacheff have provided conversations that were so entertaining and intriguing to listen to; especially during their meal in the latter half of the film, where the tension is elevated but accompanying it with truth rather than melodrama.

I doubt any of what I said earlier made any sense, as you can see I am still trying to grasp and contain the film within my hands. Certified Copy is no doubt Abbas Kiarostami's most ambitious but also his most affecting work.
August 31, 2014
Very slowly, cleverly, and convincingly makes the point that authenticity is everything... In art, in love, in everything.
July 23, 2014
wise lines and words go through the whole script, i would associate this movie with before sunrise series, however it is not that memorable and touching with plot.
July 7, 2014
When you simply watch it, you may find interesting or fascinated, sometime ambiguous with the story of longtime relationship set so effective in the period of about 1h30 in the manner of "real time". but when you try to pull the meaning out of it, it can be a true masterpiece of 2000s. rating may change.
½ June 7, 2014
I have not seen such a bad movie for a long time. A couple that have been married for 15 years discusses their burden throughout the whole movie. No deep meaning, absolutely selfish, not even well played. Do not waste your time.
½ June 3, 2014
A rare experience of seeing Kiarostami in a playful mode and he does it splendidly! This is a truly international film- an Iranian directing a legendary French actress (who won the Best actress at Cannes), a British opera star in a film set in Italy and where 3 languages are used more or less equally, but what sets it apart from a traditional romantic film set in pretty locations is the marriage of intellectual queries around what makes art original with the emotional quest of finding the recipe for togetherness of a couple; and did I say that Binoche's acting is exquisite and extraordinary? A wonderful film (my only complaint being the artificiality of the dramatic device used to depict the relationship between the two protagonists) which leaves the viewer with a lot to ponder on about his/her own life.
½ May 31, 2014
Man, talk about attention to detail. This film is all about the technique for me, with perfect performances and meticulously written dialogue weaved together for a powerful, "under the surface" drama. I also think it's worth noting that Kiarostami does something here that I've never seen on screen before (which is probably due to this being my first experience with this director). The balancing of languages here is absolutely perfect. Having grown up in a Polish Canadian family, I know how naturally moving in and out of two languages should sound like, and I have NEVER seen a film that has perfected this kind of speech before until now. In terms of any flaws I may have found, it kind of delves into spoiler territory, which I wouldn't dare ruin considering how the film seems much better if you go in blind. Hell, it may not even be a flaw. I may just need to see it again. I sure would like to.

This review was written at 2:30 in the morning and I'm tired lul
April 16, 2014
A refined and layered take on love and life, reminiscent of (yet far superior to) Before Sunrise, this film is carried almost completely by Binoche's stunning performance. The style (and content) is quite a departure from other films by Kiarostami, but just as intriguing.
ElCochran90
April 15, 2014
A relationship is something difficult to explore in films, given that it is already difficult enough to experience it. With a Linklater formula, but still with brief personal stamps regarding his love for the rural landscapes that gave him his origin, Kiarostami places two souls which drastically contrast personalities create conflict.

Copie Conforme has an innovatory approach. We spend an entire day gathering clues about the characters' backgrounds, yet we are kept emotionally distant from them because Kiarostami's statement about the originality of art is transmitted through and reflected in human relationships. He is concerned with contemplating the present state of things while reflecting on a past which is kept intentionally unclear. In that way, we adopt James Miller's perspective, a man whose ideas about art, love and perception are as false as a copy. But wait! What is a copy? A copy is not a replica. A copy tries to be a replica. It sometimes succeeds, and it sometimes doesn't.

In that way, we are constantly original beings, because even though we had an "origin", such origin (cultural, geographical, psychological, even patriotic) is merely attached to personal subjectivity. We are renovated very infinitesimal fraction of time. So, is a person a copy of his past? Yes, and in that process, it is not original. Therefore, we are a living contradiction: we are original beings while being unoriginal copies of our past selves. We conclude that being original is also a matter of opinion and perspective, and therefore, originality does not exist (excuse my Aristotelian approach). The problem comes when we expect that the entire Universe should circle around our preconceived notions and agree with our statements.

My opinion is: God bless perception variety. Let's keep away as far as possible from an homogenous Aldous Huxley society. The true art of love, however, relies on killing a part of yourself, of your heart and soul, and giving it back to your couple so that he/she renews it, and both can become one. Otherwise, we will remain as arrogant reflections of our so-called "origins".

82/100
April 8, 2014
two people having deep conversations about life and they may or may not know each other twist...i get it and the idea is cool but overall I just found it uninteresting.
March 26, 2014
A beautifully written and shot movie about a couple trying to reconnect over the course of a week end in Italy. It's an Abbas Kiarostami film so don't expect a lot of action. Still it's a good film and the story is interesting and the characters appealing. Just be in a patient mood when you watch this film.
March 17, 2014
Watch it on instant netflix
February 8, 2014
A film that is possibly rewarding with additional viewings. Perhaps I'm tired of self-reflexive films (films about film-making etc). If engaging, then only to the intellect, not the emotions, nor the senses: difficult to get past the pallor of the two main characters. Possibly in love with its own cleverness. Can only decide, if I see it a few more times.
January 24, 2014
I am going to pass on this one.