Chainsaw Sally Reviews

• May 02, 2013

Chainsaw Sally (Jimmyo Burril, 2004) Man, I should have loved this movie. I should have loved everything about it. I mean, come on-it's a SEXY LIBRARIAN SERIAL KILLER MOVIE. This is one of those concepts that's so ridiculously amazing that I can't believe no one thought of it before this. And yet, as far as I can tell, Chainsaw Sally is the first, and only, sexy librarian serial killer movie. What a terrible, terrible thing that is; someone could really make a good one, if they set their mind to it, came up with a killer script, and cast the right folks. All things that Jimmyo Burril seems to have overlooked in this attempt. Plot: do you need a plot? Sally (April Monique Burril) is a quiet, timid, bespectacled... oh, stereotypical... librarian with a secret: she's severely emotionally damaged, thanks to witnessing the brutal murders of her parents. And in lieu of therapy, she's come up with an alternative means of treatment: attempting to track down the murderers and introduce them to her chainsaw-themed brand of justice. Meanwhile, she's taken it upon herself to raise her younger brother, who if anything is even more messed up than she is... The movie has any number of problems that keep it from being watchable, most of the big ones mentioned in the first paragraph, but the movie's biggest shortcoming is that Burril never seems quite sure whether he wants to play the movie straight or for laughs. The compromise is that he switches between the two on a frequent basis. When done correctly, and on a much more limited basis, this can work (The Evil Dead being the classic example), but it's far too frequent here to have (what I assume is) the intended effect, leaving us with heads spinning, and not in the good way. While it's developed something of a cult following, this is one you can safely give a miss. *

• Apr 12, 2012

• Oct 08, 2010

Probably the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Seriously. It's too bad for words. You would have to watch it to understand how awful this is, but I don't recommend it.

• Sep 11, 2009

Chainsaw Sally is about a young brother and sister who, after being traumatized by watching their parents be viciously murdered by home intruders, grow up to be sadistic killers who cut up any of the townsfolk who cross them. It's mostly the sister Sally (April Monique Burril in a non-nudity role unfortunately) doing all the killing at night but pretending to be mild-mannered librarian by day. She catches wind of wealthy man Mark Redfield coming to town to potentially sell her land to real estate developers, but they may never make that deal once she starts revving up her chainsaw. Completely ludicrous and unfunny film that attempts to be edgy and references a lot of superior films, but mostly comes up empty-handed. To give the movie some credit, it starts off really bad, but once you get used to it, it starts to be an engaging film with a couple of good violent and gory scenes, but then it tries to do a grim, unhappy ending that just does NOT work for me. With all of the inconsistencies, evidence, and high grade lawyers the wealthy guy would have used, there's NO way he would have ended up in the predicament he winds up in! Just implausible, much like this film. Had its moments, but mostly a letdown.

• Aug 09, 2009

this movie kicks ass

this movie kicks ass

• Jun 03, 2009

• Jul 21, 2008

Craptastic! Very odd, surreal and bloody. Original Leatherface was involved with this film and is in it briefly.

• May 20, 2008

Eric and I decided to rent something to make fun of and instead of laughing, we were left scratching our heads at the absolute disgrace this movie is.

• May 19, 2008

Could've used a bigger budget, if only to hire some decent actors. Jimmyo is a good director, and I'll be interested to see what he does next. April Monique Burril has a hot body but looks a little too much like Shelley Duvall for my taste.

• May 08, 2008

A waited about two years to see this, and let me tell you... it wasn't worth it. The acting and production values are well below par (no surprise there, really). Gunnar Hansen was a great Leatherface, but he is absolutely incapable of speaking dialogue in a believable way. Skip it.