Chaplin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chaplin Reviews

February 5, 2016
I squealed a little when a character asked "What's he putting on, a suit of armor?"
½ January 28, 2016
This is a heartfelt film about the complicated life of a man who wanted most of all to just make us laugh.
January 28, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......
½ January 13, 2016
A very well made biopic. Superb performance by Robert Downey Junior and very good direction. Brings alive a very important story in cinema history and is very touching. I'm surprised at the critic rating on Flixster but glad that the user score is so high. A must watch.
January 5, 2016
Attenborough's great biography on the silent film start. Downey Jr's physically perfects the role although his cockney accent is questionable. A fascinating life spanning 88 years is covered thoroughly and entertainingly.
½ December 13, 2015
Vraiment intéressant et bien fait.
½ December 12, 2015
Robert Downey Jr. does what he can, but Chaplin has no heart or ambition and doesn't at all show the fame or great influence Charlie Chaplin had on the world. It's just a bunch of random points, names and movies strung together in a huge mess.
½ November 30, 2015
He was a man who helped create the movies and their ever-lasting impact as entertainment and art. He was at once the world‚??s most popular star, and still is as recognisable as he was in his prime. He came from nothing and left a legend. A true giant of cinema. This was of course Charlie Chaplin, an actor so important to cinema Richard Attenborough 1992 film Chaplin should be watched for simply a taste of who this man was. The first hour of Chaplin is purely mesmerising as we witness the inherent talent of our protagonist and the creation of the Tramp character. The reason it is such a delight to watch is because knowing the history of joy he has brought to the world leaves us in awe of his beginnings. And also the state of filmmaking as a new medium for everyone is interestingly explored, showing the magic of film, editing and the conditions silent films were made in. He provided a platform for the advent of talkies by popularising film to every corner of Earth, and the gravitas of his accomplishments are felt even in our present, something the original King of Hollywood Douglas Fairbanks and America‚??s sweetheart Mary Pickford cannot even hope to realise. But what elevates Chaplin‚??s opening is the stark impact of his poor upbringing on his personality and desire. Chaplin‚??s own daughter Geraldine plays her grandmother here with such disturbance, she elevates the entirety of Chaplin‚??s childhood to the point where it bears great influence on his existence. And that existence somewhat loses its way towards the end as it gets quite convoluted considering Chaplin‚??s varied, more controversial later life. To spend merely an hour on perhaps 50 years of Chaplin‚??s later life is barely feasible and so as the film tries to cram as much as they can into it, the spark of the opening becomes lost even if we still remain fascinated, possibly because the point of focus ceases to be his film career anymore, it is overcome by his stout political views that dictate his films and mood. Unlike Gandhi, Attenborough‚??s other biopic of a larger than life figure, Chaplin isn‚??t given a 3 hour running time, something that would have made this film as good. If it were slightly longer, Attenborough wouldn‚??t have needed to dramatize Chaplin‚??s life more than it already is because he was born out of creativity, and so should have utilised his vast career better because he is worthy of a three-hour investigation. To want someone who isn‚??t Chaplin playing Chaplin for even longer is testament to how much Robert Downey Jr. is an utter marvel. He may look terrifying once he gets older thanks to his lack of visible eyebrows, but Downey exquisitely recreates the special ingredients of the Tramp‚??s performance. Downey‚??s performance is so good the final scene of Chaplin receiving his honorary Academy Award whilst viewing the actual Chaplin in action is proof to his brilliance. It may get too sentimental, but his return to Hollywood with a 12-minute standing ovation by his peers results in a heartfelt tearing up, moulding Chaplin into a story of escapism for someone who abandoned his insane mother at a young age and went onto immerse himself in Hollywood, and that success hit him all at once, making his realisation our realisation of greatness.

The Verdict:

Robert Downey Jr. masterfully immerses himself into a cinematic icon, and the results are astonishing for Chaplin as a film gets to the heart of his undeniable brilliance and influence.

‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚?? 9/10
November 25, 2015
I am in a tough, yet wonderful, part of my life. Because of that I could hook into the inner most emotions conveyed by this story. The struggle, the sadness, the loss that he eventually overcame. Just a wonderful biography.
September 6, 2015
Fantastic film. Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. If you love the art of film making or Chaplin himself you should be captivated. The movie covers so much of his ridiculously interesting life and as well as paying homage to his many great works of art. The acting is also top notch. Listen to the audience score.. This is one of my favorite movies ever.
½ August 8, 2015
The movie is just good enough. It reeks of being Oscar bait, with a biopic about the influential filmmaker/comic and his tumultuous personal relationships. As a big fan of Chaplin, it was nice to see a weird stroll through memory lane, as he starts from vaudville and works his way up to the Hollywood big leagues. The performances are fine enough, but especially the females. Chaplin is a very solid biopic with talented people all around.
July 15, 2015
Robert Downey Jr. is phenomenal in this role and the film managed to keep me entertained even after repeat viewings. Sure, the biopic is fairly straightforward and conventional, but it still does its' job and serves a purpose.
½ July 6, 2015
Good overall story, went a bit on the long side. Would have liked to see more of his movies. I suppose I can look those up on youtube.
½ May 23, 2015
This was an exceptional film. Robert Downey Jr. has Chaplin down to the very finest detail. I thought for 1993 it would have easily won one of the Academy Awards it was nominated for. It moved rather fast in some spots but most people didn't know a lot of Chapin's life in general and there is quite a lot that went on! Loved the film.
May 13, 2015
80% on my Tomatometer.
½ May 4, 2015
89%
Watched this on 4/5/15
Chaplin is a well deserved biopic directed by an always reliable Richard Attenborough who is also one of the pioneer in biopic films, take for instance Gandhi. Robert Downey Jr gives a phenomenal nuanced performance as Chaplin and does justice to the great legend. The film is incredibly emotional, especially it's ending which is nothing but a true tribute to the legend. Moreover, Attenborough's film sheds a lot of light not only on the personal life of Chaplin, but also on how the then influential people like J. Edgar Hoover ruined his acting career.
April 8, 2015
With this great cast and interesting way to remind people of the great Charlie Chaplin, I could not be more severely disappointed when the movie finally ended. First the positives, Robert Downey Jr. played a really great Charlie Chaplin. He got the mannerisms of Charlie Chaplin spot on, he looked a lot like him at times, he got Charlie Chaplin's slapstick comedy right on, and Robert Downey Jr. was just the perfect actor to play Charlie Chaplin. The costumes, makeup, and cinematography were all done extremely well and I felt like I went through the movie's time periods. Sadly, those are where my positives of the film end and where I start to name all of the movie's flaws. My flaws start in the middle of the movie. After an interesting first half, the middle half starts and the movie became more and more boring and slow and I then realized the movie was going to be below average. After seeing him getting in the film business, we start seeing a whole lot of his personal life and all of the many women he had relationships with. The relationship building was so poorly done because you would just have actresses come on for a few minutes and then they would disappear for the rest of the whole movie. In the relationships, he would give certain women a few looks and the next scene, he would already be in bed with the woman. It was clear to me, that these type of scenes really felt rushed and sloppily put together and they added nothing to the feature except more run time. Another thing is that they could have focused a bit more on Charlie Chaplin's rise as an actor and less on his personal life because it wasn't very interesting to watch. During the middle and final hour of the film, it focuses on his personal life and the reason why it didn't work for me is because I thought the way it was directed was bland and I became more emotionally detached to the characters as it played out. In my opinion, I didn't think a single actor stood out at all in the supporting cast. Kevin Kline, Marisa Tomei, Milla Jovovich, and even James Woods were all completely wasted and none of them gave a quality performance because they were underutilized. Fresh off of his Oscar win for Silence of the Lambs, Anthony Hopkins' performance was just really basic to me and he had nothing to do except interview Charlie Chaplin. The 2 and a half hour running time really hurt the movie a lot and they were multiple times where I was bored to tears. In the end, this was just a really forgettable biopic and this was not the proper way to honor Charlie Chaplin and this is certainly a movie that I will forget more and more as time goes on.
March 25, 2015
This movie demonstrates why Robert Downey Jr. is perhaps one of the most under appreciated actors of our time. Despite some unevenness in the screenplay with some forced moments of melodrama, this movie is well presented, beautifully filmed and built around Downey's awesome performance. This is a very entertaining movie worth watching.
March 16, 2015
Robert Downey Jr's performance as Charlie Chaplin is tremendous. His story is similar to Howard Hughes.