Character (Karakter) Reviews

• Jun 27, 2019

Character is an original experiment, but it did not work for me. It is well made across the board and the beginning and ending are cool, but they still felt out of place as the film's mixing of historical and thriller elements seemed uneasy and unpolished. It's also overlong and slow-paced.

• Jul 25, 2017

Still my favourite Dutch movie. Famous Belgian actor Jan Decleir once again gives a powerhouse performance that completely dominates the screen in any scene he appears in, which of course is fitting for the character he plays. Fedja van Huet als performs brilliant from a completely opposite mindset but no less compelling. The cinematography is breathtaking and I don't think Rotterdam ever looked so beautiful. It's a perfect adaptation of one of the best Dutch novels.

• Jun 27, 2014

A great overlooked thriller.

A great overlooked thriller.

• Apr 15, 2014

beautiful movie, a must see

beautiful movie, a must see

• Feb 09, 2014

Heerlijke vertolking, excellente keuze van beginscene en geniale omzetting van de droge derdepersoondvertelling in Katadreuffe die zijn levensverhaal vertelt. Sterke karakters, met Jan Decleir zeer overtuigend in de rol van Dreverhaven.

• Sep 28, 2013

Predictable, regurgitated themes that work because they are beautifully rendered in this film. Complex characters. Intriguing story development. The only drawback is the over-the-top, highly melodramatic and pretentiously operatically styled ending.

• May 02, 2013

One of my most favorite movies.

One of my most favorite movies.

• May 04, 2012

• Apr 30, 2012

• Apr 18, 2012

Awesome and somewhat has similarities to Star Wars.

Awesome and somewhat has similarities to Star Wars.