Charge of the Light Brigade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charge of the Light Brigade Reviews

½ July 14, 2016
Romantic melodrama, but at least we got some story.
June 25, 2016
Some people have no taste in movies
Enjoy a classic, and classic talent.
½ February 19, 2016
I have a cowardly aversion to meeting reptiles socially 'til I've had at least one sherry and bitters.

The British military are stationed in Indian in the late 1800s to manage a series of uprisings and protect the innocent. Unfortunately, his men are attacked and numerous soldiers, women, and children are massacred and a military captain observes the events. He swears revenge on those responsible and leads attack against them.

"Is nothing sacred to you?"
"Yes, Benjamin my dear, your liver."

Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, Mildred Pierce, White Christmas, We're No Angels, The Proud Rebels, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Bright Leaf, delivers The Charge of the Light Brigade. The storyline for this picture is interesting and contains some interesting characters and scenarios. The acting is excellent and the cast includes Errol Flynn, David Niven, Donald Crisp, Olivia de Havilland, and Nigel Bruce.

"Life is sweet and dear when one cannot have it."

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it as I am a huge Errol Flynn and Michael Curtiz fan. The content is very solid as is the execution. This isn't the best war picture I've ever seen, but this is classic Flynn and very well done. I recommend seeing this once, even if it isn't the best Flynn or Curtiz picture.

"You wouldn't mind giving this to my family...just in case..."

Grade: B-
½ October 6, 2015
Although the love story is quite snooze inducing, the action sequences are really quite enthralling, despite the film's nasty reputation in animal safety film lore.
August 25, 2015
Mixed reviews below. From dull, unhistorical, to great entertainment. But '200 horses were killed', prompting SPCA reforms to films. Full movie on youtube, of course.
½ January 31, 2015
Based on the Tennyson Poem. A good Action-Adventure movie the culminated with the Charge itself.
½ January 2, 2015
Not bad as an adventure story, although it seems quite far away from the real history.
½ December 9, 2014
director michael curtiz had trip wires and explosives set on final charge many horses were injured and put down Flynn was opposed to this and had issues with curtiz after this.I would like more details if anyone knows thank you
July 21, 2014
Charge of the Light Brigade (1936)

This movie is another teaming up of director Michael Curtiz, Errol Flynn, and Olivia de Havilland. Max Steiner's soundtrack was welcome, who has become a staple with Warner Brothers movies. Errol Flynn writes about the many horses that died due to the trip cords in this movie, including one of the stunt men.

Loosely based on Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem, it has very little to do with the factual accounts of the massacre of the 27th Lancers. If you wanted a factual account, watch the 1968 version with David Hemmings and Vannessa Redgrave. However, if you would prefer a movie with more action, romance, as well as a memorable camel toe of Errol Flynn, this is the movie to watch.

Most of this movie is placed in British-held India, with a romantic triangle between Major Geoffrey Vickers (Flynn), Elsa Campbell (de Havilland) and his brother, Captain Perry Vickers (Patric Knowles). While Geoffrey was away, his fiancÚ and brother were falling in love with each other to the discust of Elsa's father Colonel Campbell (Donald Crisp). Poor Geoffrey is the go-to guy when it comes to political intrigue and is constantly being sent off on other adventures.

It's in India that we meet the evil Surat Khan (C. Henry Gordon) who has been shunned by Queen Victoria and aligns himself with the Russians, who will be at war with the British. It was his men who killed British men, women and children at Chukoti, making Geoffrey promise revenge in the Crimea.
April 6, 2014
Be bored through the love triangle and silly drama, but stay for the damn impressive finale charge.
½ July 14, 2013
Historically inaccurate piece of vanity, but I'm probably biased towards it as I only decided to watch it to see the real horse deaths.
½ April 19, 2013
Yet another Errol Flynn/Michael Curtiz epic team up.
½ March 24, 2013
One of Errol's early films in a time when shooting wild cats or even pretending to was seen as fine and displayed with glee. I was surprised how much of the film is quite dark to be honest, the massacre at Chukoti (made up) is not bloody of course but its pretty graphic as is the final charge where horses are clearly throw all over the place (200 actual horses were killed during filming). The stunt men must have earned their pay, yikes!!

Yes an earlier time for sure, animal rights stepped in to halt filming with the horrendous horse massacre on location but the fact they still got away with it and were able to even start shows a different attitude which does cast a nasty spell over this film. The final charge sequence is very good for a film of the this time but its clear where horses have died for the screen, impressive stunts and action but is it worth it??

As for the film its pretty dull throughout, much loving between Havilland and Knowles, much war talk with Flynn and plenty of the 'stiff upper lip old boy'. The usual contracted players as mentioned, they all go well together and shows why Warner stuck them together for many more pictures. Despite the fictional sub plots and characters this does play well if you can take all the talking, as with modern films you are waiting for the final big push and charge. This is where it gets more exciting and our swashbuckling hero Errol begins to shine...but not for long.

Looks good, great garrison sets (actually built for real) amid the scorching heat, costumes are superb as expected and acting is solid from all the cast with solid direction from Warner stalwart Curtiz, its just a bit boring to be honest.
January 24, 2013
Fictional version of historical charge is highly entertaining--Into the Valley of Death Rode the Six Hundred!!
½ January 15, 2013
Bizarre historical revisionism.
½ July 13, 2012
LOVE the Flynn/Havilland combo.
June 20, 2012
WB brings the poem 2 life
½ April 25, 2012
My least favorite Errol Flynn movie thusfar.
March 24, 2012
Errol Flynn - you just can't beat it. This one is more serious than his later pictures, coming just after his early shows. The uniforms are striking and dashing, the military bearing, always attractive. The story follows English soldiers in India before the famed and failed Charge of the Light Brigade. History is sweeping at the start; midway, the story buckles down and gets moving at a great pace, riding towards the end and the culmination of conflicts. A love triangle (with Olivia de Havilland) was incorporated into the tale to give unity to the sprawling years, and the scar between brothers (Flynn and Patric Knowles) was touching. The history is skewed incredibly, offering hope of purpose to the fated Charge and giving noble motive of retribution to their decision. But, still, the story was moving all the same, and Flynn, as charming as ever.
July 12, 2011
I've always enjoyed watching this great film. No..It's not Errol Flynn's or Olivia's best work. But it's still worth watching...