Reviews

• Oct 17, 2021

A 1970's documentary that serves as the likely inspiration for much of ‘Ancient Aliens.' I wasn't going to review this, I don't usually review documentaries, but this was more interesting than a lot of other films I have reviewed. Does it prove anything? No, not really. It's still just someone's word but if just some of it is true and accurate.... then we're best to assume everything we know and have been taught is a lie.

• Aug 26, 2020

Aggravatingly speculative. Still, interesting and - in most cases, still unanswered - questions are raised.. Annoying but interesting on a slow day..

• Mar 26, 2016

It's so old and dated and the lame soundtrack is warped, yet I still enjoy this documentary because it's so awful

• Feb 27, 2016

good doc and one of the first I saw that got me into documentaries

good doc and one of the first I saw that got me into documentaries

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Dec 14, 2015

Some of the mysteries are intriguing, yes, but the fact that many of Däniken's claims have been proved false calls into question the whole veracity of everything else; not that it changes much, though, since his ideas are a pile of speculative rubbish based on pseudo-scientific fallacies.

• Nov 02, 2015

Like an extended "In Search Of..." (look it up), this "documentary" goes all over the world and finds weird phenomena, and asks how were these created? They usually have the option of space creatures, but just as an option, because you know, journalistic integrity. Interesting to see the sites, but it does get repetitious.

• Feb 09, 2013

I can get on board with the hypothesis that if the Pacific islanders built model aircraft to try to lure the planes back, then ancient humans could have done the same for extraterrestrial visitors. There is no evidence to support this whatsoever, but Daniken and this documentary don't stop there. No, they show pictures of monuments and things, tell us they're space men or whatever, then cut away to more monuments, whereas in a real documentary about plausible theories they would have offered, you know, an explanation. Repeat ad nauseam.

• Mar 10, 2012

I use to be on the 'Chariots' bandwagon for a while, and still like to keep an open mind. But, the only thing I actually remember from this 'documentary' was a chance to actually see many of the sites and artifacts which von Daniken mentioned in his book of the same name. Otherwise, this was probably the moment when the entire extraterrestrial origin theory 'jumped the shark'. Mostly consisting of the: "Could this have been...", "Maybe another answer is...", "What if..." vague posits, it's hard to consider this an actual documentary. I can see viewers being in two distinct camps: those who are totally enthralled with the ideas put forth by von Daniken, and those who dismiss those same ideas out of hand. The acceptance and condemnation of Immauel Velikovsky is a prime example of what happens when people fail to examine evidence, and either totally accept theories on blind faith, or feel that it's not worth the time and effort to debunk those same theories. It's hard to actually walk the fence (though I'm in that vague wishy-washy category). In any case, as I mentioned, it was an opportunity to see some of the Fortean objects. As a side note: I believe this film was actually released in the early 70's, rather than the 1977 date currently being shown by this page).

• Feb 27, 2012

Were the Gods Astronauts? :-) We should have more movies like this one... I watched these one when i was a teenager... it changed a lot my points of view in many things... I recommend this to anyone with a inquisitive mind...

• Jul 29, 2010

You may not accept, but you can't ignore the evidence!!

You may not accept, but you can't ignore the evidence!!