Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen Reviews

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    May 24, 2016

So embarrassing. And on so many levels. If you've done something bad, anything, this could be acceptable penance. You're forgiven.

• Dec 24, 2014

Silly gags (despite of a very few exceptions) and clumsy spectacle made me impatient to see the end of the film. Peter Ustinov could not convince too.

• Nov 11, 2014

The film is quite racist in casting Peter Ustinov, but I'd dismissed that as a parody of old Charlie Chan films (this is a comedy after all) where the Chinese detective was always played by a white guy so it wasn't a problem. But the real problem is that it was never played for laughs. Nor was anything really. The slapstick was very clumsy and watching Apollo ham it up for the camera as his grandson was tough. The plot is supposed to revolve around a murder mystery but it never actually does anything with it. Instead we're treated to the cast of boring characters wandering through their daily lives in ways that are supposed to be funny. And they're just not.

• Jul 11, 2013

I have seen pretty well all of the Charlie Chan movies, and I gotta say, this is the worst of of the lot. Every single actor in this movie embarasses themselves greatly in this. Biggest culprits are the ladies though. Michelle Pfeiffer hasn't a clue how to do comedy and Lee Grant is just mugging, mugging, mugging. Ustinov as Chan couldve been great, but the script really just defeats him.

• Feb 03, 2013

A simplistically written caper that should by no means be taken seriously. Peter Ustinov and Richard Hatch are fine here, but the film belongs to the wonderful Angie Dickinson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Roddy McDowall, and Lee Grant in supporting roles. Brian Keith's foul-mouthed dialogue backfires, though, and is nothing short of annoying.

• Sep 24, 2012

Abysmal. Why actors of this calibre were in such a horrendously bad film is beyond me. This is just bad slapstick, a very boring and messy film.

• Sep 16, 2011

So painfully unfunny and dull that I couldn't bring myself to watch more than half of it.

• Oct 28, 2010

Madcap comedy that consistantly fails to be remotely amusing.Worse, it gives the impression that it thinks it's hysterical. Should have been much better considering the class in the cast.

• May 22, 2010

A terrible misjudgement and a smear on the face of the classic Sidney Toller films of the 30's. Ustinov is fine as Chan - but the supporting cast have little in the way of comic ability and the script is woeful at best

• Apr 14, 2010

I am a fan of Ustinov, and it was interesting to see a younger Michelle Pfeiffer, but it all seemed a little slapstick as opposed to satire. It seemed to be aiming for Pink Panther style without being as good, not terrible, but not great either.