Charlie Chan at Monte Carlo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Chan at Monte Carlo Reviews

February 8, 2013
Tongue Can Hang Man Quicker Than Rope--R.I.P Warner Oland!!
½ October 17, 2012
1.5: Hmm. I was prompted to watch these by an article in The New Yorker that I read a year or two ago. I wasn't expecting them to be outstanding, but I was expecting something better than this. I have now seen essentially every Charlie Chan film, or at least all that were made between 1931 and 1947 (29 films). What struck me most is that these really have more in common with a television show than a feature film. Each film is essentially the same except for the "location." I guess it makes sense as they serve essentially the same purpose. One can essentially watch every film on auto-pilot comfortable in the knowledge that one knows exactly which characters will pop up and that everything will be satisfactorily resolved in the end. They are "C" picture at best. Sidney Toler is pretty good; Warner Toland is somewhat acceptable; and the other two one picture no-names are either inconsequential or awful. It is rather ludicrous that they didn't allow an actual Asian actor to play the role, but the portrayal of African-American's is much more heinous. They certainly pale in comparison to just about every other detective picture/TV series I've ever seen. None of the films rate an individual review so this will have to suffice for all 29.
September 21, 2011
Ah, the death of Netflix. Well, at least for me. So now I'm going back through my DVD collection, and it's an interesting trip down memory lane. This particular Charlie Chan movie -- I own all of them that are available for purchase -- is an important one since it signals the last one made with Warner Oland in the the titular role. It took a good deal of searching to finally decide on Sidney Toler as the next Chan, and I believe he was a good choice. Still, there is no denying the chemistry between Oland and Keye Luke, nor the fact that if it weren't for the Chan series, Luke might never have had the career he did. If you only watch two Charlie Chan movies, I strongly suggest that it be this one and the one immediately following, Charlie Chan in Honolulu, so you can compare the two best remembered actors to play the honorable detective.
½ July 15, 2011
Another fun Charlie Chan Movie! This time, he's in Monte Carlo, and yes, another poor soul is murdered. He's assisted by the great Harold Huber as Monte Carlo's chief of police while they try to solve the murder. I liked this one more than others, because at least they TRIED for my authenticity this time, a lot of people speak French, which IS what they do in French-Language speaking countries right? Not like his adventure in Shanghai, where everyone Chan encountered spoke perfect English. So there was a bit of fun language barrier comedy. The mystery is pretty easy to guess, all in all, a great addition to the Orland Chan series.
March 29, 2011
A weaker Chan entry with way too much Harold Huber dominating the film as a Clouseau-like French detective.
July 13, 2005
THE CHARLIE CHAN FILM SERIES WAS ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR AND SUCCESSFUL SERIES EVER, MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY, FINE ACTING AND CONSISTENTLY ENTERTAINING STORY LINES. THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE. NEVER OVERLONG, INTERESTING, FUNNY AND ALWAYS FUN.