Charlie Chan at the Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Chan at the Opera Reviews

½ April 6, 2016
This opera is going on tonight even if Frankenstein walks in--Oland Meets Karloff!!
½ April 6, 2016
Charlie Chan at the Opera is certainly on of the best in the film series, Warner Oland is terrific. It's short and sweet, funny and thoroughly entertaining. Great supporting cast.
April 6, 2016
gets a star for having boris karloff
½ April 6, 2016
In this installment, Charlie Chan is revealed to be an opera fan and he works diligently to find the killer of two singers in the fictitious opera, 'Carnival', composed for the movie by Oscar Levant. Of course nothing is as it seems as is revealed in the end by the wise Chan. Stage manager's comment that the opera will go on "even if Frankenstein walks in" is a cute in-joke referring to Karloff's former starring role.
½ April 6, 2016
One of the best of the Charlie Chan series despite William Demarest's portrayl of a racist policeman. Supposedly Oscar Levant wrote the opera especially for this film.
½ April 6, 2016
1.5: Hmm. I was prompted to watch these by an article in The New Yorker that I read a year or two ago. I wasn't expecting them to be outstanding, but I was expecting something better than this. I have now seen essentially every Charlie Chan film, or at least all that were made between 1931 and 1947 (29 films). What struck me most is that these really have more in common with a television show than a feature film. Each film is essentially the same except for the "location." I guess it makes sense as they serve essentially the same purpose. One can essentially watch every film on auto-pilot comfortable in the knowledge that one knows exactly which characters will pop up and that everything will be satisfactorily resolved in the end. They are "C" picture at best. Sidney Toler is pretty good; Warner Toland is somewhat acceptable; and the other two one picture no-names are either inconsequential or awful. It is rather ludicrous that they didn't allow an actual Asian actor to play the role, but the portrayal of African-American's is much more heinous. They certainly pale in comparison to just about every other detective picture/TV series I've ever seen. None of the films rate an individual review so this will have to suffice for all 29.
½ April 6, 2016
Well, I'd never seen a Charlie Chan film, so I wanted to check one out. Short, funny, and clever, it's got witty dialogue and some good laughs. Too bad I think I started with one of his best, because looking at his other films, they haven't gotten the great reviews. Anyway, Boris Karloff is an opera singer who esapes from an insane asylum and makes his way to the opera and some murders start happening. To be honest, most the time while watching this I couldn't help but think of Peter Sellers in Murder by Death, and he nailed the impersonation (well, so did the screenwriters with the sidekick son). I'll probably check out a coule more of the Chan films.
½ April 6, 2016
Another day. another Charlie Chan mystery. This time, Walter Orland is paired up with Boris Karloff, an interesting combo to be sure, as Chan tries to figure out who bumped off a pair of philandering opera singers(!!) Boris Karloff is, of course, prime suspect #1, as he is cast here as a crazed opera singer who just escaped from the looney bin lusting for revenge on the people who tried to kill him in an opera fire many moons ago! This one is a bit strange with it's premise, so therefore it's fun as Chan tries to make sense of it all. Karloff looks to be having a ball in this strange casting as an opera singer, he lip syncs horribly. I think he knows his fans know it, so just adds to the fun.
January 16, 2016
Had to re-watch this gem after receiving a Toler box set for Christmas. Oland is Chan and will always be in my book. Opera pairs him with Karloff the Uncanny in a solid, exciting entry in the series. I think this and the Olympics are probably the two most interesting Chan movies ever made.
½ October 4, 2014
So, I'm watching this and a few minutes in, I'm going "This really isn't racist at all." Enter John Henry Allen as Streamline Jones; "Yah Suh! He' ah is!" #OhJeez!!! Otherwise, pretty solid.
March 25, 2014
The 12th outing for Warner Oland as the veteran sleuth from Honolulu. Incredibly, the film starts (here) at the Melbourne Cup with a jockey throwing a race while riding the favourite. From there, it moves to Hawaii and then onward to Los Angeles, picking up murder and intrigue along the way. The plot is a little more complex than usual and (some racist comedy aside, if you can put it aside) that makes this a more enjoyable puzzler. You can't guess who did it, but you can maintain the illusion that you could have.
April 27, 2008
Capable filler stuff. Does have a pretty banging clue though!
½ January 21, 2008
A OK mystery. Catch on TV.
October 31, 2007
Charlie Chan at his best.
July 8, 2007
When I was little, I loved all the Charlie Chan mystery movies, so I had to add them
July 5, 2007
This movie and all Charlie Chan movies are classic mysterys.
June 18, 2007
Fun mystery involving a thrown horse race and the murder of the horse's owner. Charlie Chan is called in and conducts an investigation onboard the ship, with lots of intrigue and suspicious characters along the way. Number One son tags along disguised as a cabin boy. Good 30s mystery fun.
April 14, 2007
WHY IS THIS UNDER JACKIE CHAN????