Charlie Chan At The Wax Museum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Chan At The Wax Museum Reviews

April 17, 2015
The murderer is never the point of these films, it's watching the inscrutable Chan (and son) on the chase, defying the odds while keeping the fun element a going concern. Here all concerned ramble about in a ooooo-scary wax museum. By the time the murderer is revealed, taken away by the late arriving police, it hardly matters anyway. That's why they made so many of these ... these Chinese (while having zero to do with anything actually Chinese) hamburgers. I wonder how they'd remake one of these nowadays?
½ August 23, 2013
Another entry with Sidney Toler as Chan (after Warner Oland died but before the series moved to low-budget Monogram Pictures). Here Charlie (with "help" from Number Two Son Jimmy) knows he is being lured into a trap by an escaped killer who he sent to death row with his testimony. The action take place in a Wax Museum dedicated to killers and crime (creating a pretty creepy mise-en-scene) and as usual a host of character actors are trotted out (sometimes with very little real differentiation) to play the role of red herrings. The solution here is either too easy (one main clue) or impossible if you judge that clue to be the kind of classic misdirection that usually takes place in these films.
½ February 9, 2013
Lots Of Fun Characters In This Chan Mystery--Spooky times in the Chamber of Horrors!!
½ October 17, 2012
1.5: Hmm. I was prompted to watch these by an article in The New Yorker that I read a year or two ago. I wasn't expecting them to be outstanding, but I was expecting something better than this. I have now seen essentially every Charlie Chan film, or at least all that were made between 1931 and 1947 (29 films). What struck me most is that these really have more in common with a television show than a feature film. Each film is essentially the same except for the "location." I guess it makes sense as they serve essentially the same purpose. One can essentially watch every film on auto-pilot comfortable in the knowledge that one knows exactly which characters will pop up and that everything will be satisfactorily resolved in the end. They are "C" picture at best. Sidney Toler is pretty good; Warner Toland is somewhat acceptable; and the other two one picture no-names are either inconsequential or awful. It is rather ludicrous that they didn't allow an actual Asian actor to play the role, but the portrayal of African-American's is much more heinous. They certainly pale in comparison to just about every other detective picture/TV series I've ever seen. None of the films rate an individual review so this will have to suffice for all 29.
½ January 21, 2012
This is a very enjoyable Charlie Chan film, loaded with mystery and suspense. A killer is loose in the wax museum, but who is it. Film does a good job of making everyone a suspect. With all the mystery and suspense comes some comedy as usual, Sidney Toler does a great job with his sayings. If I was going to see one Chan movie it would be this one. Worth 3 1/2 stars
½ November 6, 2011
Very fun Chan actionner here. The pursuit of an escaped killer leads of course to a wax museum.. but it's really a front for a face changing doctor who works with criminals! Chan and number one son knows something is up and there's the usual motley of people dropping clues. Fun because of the setting.
June 7, 2011
April 30, 2010
Charlie Chan At The Wax Museum was fun to watch. The fact that it was set in a wax museum made it extra mysterious and somewhat spooky. Wax museums alone are somewhat creepy. If you add murder and a whole cast of suspects, it only adds to the ambiance.

This movie, as well as all Charlie Chan movies are good fare for a rainy afternoon.
½ August 15, 2009
Above average Charlie Chan entry, Sidney Toler makes a great Chan. Very Typical of the Chan films, fun, suspenseful, amusing and very entertaining.
½ February 19, 2006