Charlie Chan at Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Chan at Treasure Island Reviews

½ September 21, 2013
Sidney Toler comes up against the supernatural in the form of Zodiac, a possibly phony psychic who is possibly blackmailing people (including one of Charlie Chan's friends) until they commit suicide. The Imdb trivia page suggests that this movie might have provided some inspiration for San Francisco's 1960s Zodiac killer. Huh? But as far as the CC series goes, this is a ripper -- probably one of the best. The cast of potential suspects is better defined (including Cesar Romero as a magician) as is the overall arc of the plot and tightness of the script (even Number Two Son Jimmy's comic relief is kept to a minimum). If it influenced anything, it is more likely to have been "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?"
½ February 6, 2013
A chilling mystery with an even chillier addendum--Terrific Cinematography!!
½ October 17, 2012
1.5: Hmm. I was prompted to watch these by an article in The New Yorker that I read a year or two ago. I wasn't expecting them to be outstanding, but I was expecting something better than this. I have now seen essentially every Charlie Chan film, or at least all that were made between 1931 and 1947 (29 films). What struck me most is that these really have more in common with a television show than a feature film. Each film is essentially the same except for the "location." I guess it makes sense as they serve essentially the same purpose. One can essentially watch every film on auto-pilot comfortable in the knowledge that one knows exactly which characters will pop up and that everything will be satisfactorily resolved in the end. They are "C" picture at best. Sidney Toler is pretty good; Warner Toland is somewhat acceptable; and the other two one picture no-names are either inconsequential or awful. It is rather ludicrous that they didn't allow an actual Asian actor to play the role, but the portrayal of African-American's is much more heinous. They certainly pale in comparison to just about every other detective picture/TV series I've ever seen. None of the films rate an individual review so this will have to suffice for all 29.
November 25, 2011
One of the best in the series.
August 17, 2011
Fun Charlie Channer here, though I'm still not a Sidney Toler fan. Chan investigates how an author is murdered, while diving into a wacky tale of the paranormal. Cesar Romero (!) is a well-known psychic wanting to expose another psychic's powers in a sub-plot. It's a bit dumb for the first half, but then gets quite enjoyable when they head off to the World's Fair and Treasure Island.
April 10, 2011
Wow. I feel racist just having put this on my NetFlix Queue. Imagine the dad from "Webster" playing the worst Chinese stereotype you can imagine in the form of a whodunnit. Now add B-roll from the Treasure Island World's Fair and the fad interest in Houdini. Two stars for the awesome B-roll and the peek into what passed as combating stereotypes back then. Eeesh.
June 14, 2010
Another good installment to the Charlie Chan series.

There are not any really stand out characters or performances in this one. Jimmy, the number two son, does not have as much screen time in this one as other episodes. Because of that, there is not as much comic relief, therefore this one episode is more serious than others.

Overall it was well written and acted. I thought for sure I knew who it was, but was mistaken. The ending was a real surprise.

The disk had some interesting special features, It contained a look back at Treasure Island, the San Fransisco fair that took place in 1940 and the tie-in with this movie to the 1969 Zodiac killer, in real life.
½ October 30, 2009
One of the three best Charlie Chan murder mystery movies, the entire cast gives great performances. The plot is very interesting and it brilliantly combines comedy with drama, suspense and mystery. Excellent!
October 26, 2009
A decent entry in the series, though I wish more had been done with the trappings of magic.
July 14, 2005