Charlie Chan in Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Chan in Paris Reviews

½ March 17, 2014
Charlie Chan in Paris (1935)

This third in the surviving Charlie Chan franchise sees Inspector Chan (Warner Oland) not excited to see his #1 son, Lee (Keye Luke in his first Charlie Chan movie) joining him in the excitement of Paris .

The chemistry between Oland and Luke is so good that they are brought back in subsequent movies, and when Oland finally passes away, and they bring in Sidney Toler into the Charlie Chan part, Keye Luke leaves the franchise.

In this movie, Inspector Chan is meeting up with his undercover contact Nardi (Dorothy Appleby) who is posing as an apache dancer, to investigate forged bonds, but she's killed before telling him anything. Inspector Chan finds more clues in Nardi's room, pointing to folks in the Lamartine bank, including Yvette Lamartine (Mary Brian) the daughter of the bank president.

Lee and Yvette's fiancÚ, Victor Descartes (Thomas Beck) are checking out other suspects. Naturally, we see our heros wondering around the typical (studio) streets and sewers of Paris.
½ February 9, 2013
Charlie Chan's Parisian Mystery--Charm and Warner Oland!!
½ October 17, 2012
1.5: Hmm. I was prompted to watch these by an article in The New Yorker that I read a year or two ago. I wasn't expecting them to be outstanding, but I was expecting something better than this. I have now seen essentially every Charlie Chan film, or at least all that were made between 1931 and 1947 (29 films). What struck me most is that these really have more in common with a television show than a feature film. Each film is essentially the same except for the "location." I guess it makes sense as they serve essentially the same purpose. One can essentially watch every film on auto-pilot comfortable in the knowledge that one knows exactly which characters will pop up and that everything will be satisfactorily resolved in the end. They are "C" picture at best. Sidney Toler is pretty good; Warner Toland is somewhat acceptable; and the other two one picture no-names are either inconsequential or awful. It is rather ludicrous that they didn't allow an actual Asian actor to play the role, but the portrayal of African-American's is much more heinous. They certainly pale in comparison to just about every other detective picture/TV series I've ever seen. None of the films rate an individual review so this will have to suffice for all 29.
August 27, 2012
Goes along at a fairly good pace, but tends to slow a bit at times. Charlie has a lot of dumb sayings and seems almost too wise. Everyone else seems to have shit-for-brains compared to him. Not horrible, but not great.
November 9, 2010
In a Paris where everyone speaks perfect english, Charlie Chan makes a stop betweem London and Egypt (which are remarked by other characters, this was chronological based on the series) and solves a somewhat silly story involving Bank bonds, forgeries, and yes, murder. It's not bad, though slightly ridiculous, and everyone laughs as usual at Charlie Chan's silly wit. Best part though is the domestic abuse as french dance at the beginning. Yay for the girl being thrown through the window! Applause!
½ July 24, 2009
A little above average Charlie Chan mystery, a good mystery, well acted and a nice blend of suspense, comedy and drama. The Paris setting is a plus. It is short, sweet and very enjoyable.
January 15, 2009
Alright, it was made in 1935. I wouldn't expect the political correctness we are so tuned to today. It's a private detective movie, something that was supposed to be entertaining, not enduringly, profoundly or intellectually stimulating. Well, I take it back. It actually is intellectually intriguing. I was really surprised to come across this series of detective/crime movies made in the '30s that feature a Chinese hero. I will be interested in watching more of them.
½ December 31, 2008
saw charlie chan in london also. same movie over and over again. the yellowface acting by warner oland is a bit offensive. they wouldn't ever release any black face boxsets yet they have just released a set of these yellowface ones... disappointing.
middleeasternfilms
October 2, 2008
½ July 21, 2005
½ September 28, 2004
Today I had a really frustrating five chapter bio test.. Oh.. Joy. I thought I was going to do really bad.. I'm not sure how I did.. but I dont think I did 'really bad'.. I'm sure I did fine.. I am currently obsessed with Humphrey Bogart.. we watched The Maltese Falcon in my Film class... the film.. had its moments.. I think the directing was very well for the time period at least.. but that man.. has such a presence.. hes gorgeous.. even now.. even in black and white.. even to a girl who could easily be his grand daughter.. Gorgeous. But seriously who names their kid Humphrey?