Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise Reviews

½ October 17, 2012
1.5: Hmm. I was prompted to watch these by an article in The New Yorker that I read a year or two ago. I wasn't expecting them to be outstanding, but I was expecting something better than this. I have now seen essentially every Charlie Chan film, or at least all that were made between 1931 and 1947 (29 films). What struck me most is that these really have more in common with a television show than a feature film. Each film is essentially the same except for the "location." I guess it makes sense as they serve essentially the same purpose. One can essentially watch every film on auto-pilot comfortable in the knowledge that one knows exactly which characters will pop up and that everything will be satisfactorily resolved in the end. They are "C" picture at best. Sidney Toler is pretty good; Warner Toland is somewhat acceptable; and the other two one picture no-names are either inconsequential or awful. It is rather ludicrous that they didn't allow an actual Asian actor to play the role, but the portrayal of African-American's is much more heinous. They certainly pale in comparison to just about every other detective picture/TV series I've ever seen. None of the films rate an individual review so this will have to suffice for all 29.
July 16, 2012
My favorite Chan film next to Castle in the Desert. Wonderful Cast as well with nice blend of humour and great suspense.
½ July 13, 2005
WARNER OLAND AND VICTOR SEN YOUNG DO GREAT AS CHARLIE CHAN AND HIS NUMBER ONE SON. FINE CHAN FILM, NICE SETTINGS, ABOVE AVERAGE MURDER MYSTERY. CLEVER.