Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin Reviews

August 16, 2016
I substantially prefer this wonderful and unique documentary over all Chaplin's works commentaries by the mighty "Criterion Collection".
August 3, 2014
I have never watched a "tramp" movie..but who hasn't heard of Charlie..I enjoyed getting to knw the a lil better..n i freakin love RDJ...
July 6, 2014
The best biography of person ever .
April 23, 2014
Documental pertinente para todos aquellos que desconocen la genialidad de Chaplin. Alguno que otro dato interesante para aquellos que ya sabiamos de la importancia de este monstruo de la comedia.
April 13, 2013
Uma das mais belas homenagens já feitas, com uma plena certeza, posso dizer que está foi a melhor atuação do Robert Downey Jr.
November 24, 2012
Robert Downey JR.'s performance as Charlie Chaplin was amazing. He seemed almost like him.
½ September 10, 2012
In short, Chaplin was for anyone anywhere who believes in human dignity above social station and who adopts an attitude of defiance in the face of helplessness against the forces of nature. Above all, he was for anyone who believes in the power of art to rescue man from his own worst tendencies.
July 19, 2012
As a huge Chaplin fan I was sceptical. However Robert Downey Jr. performance is breathtaking, he takes on all of Chaplin's signature mannerisms. I strongly urge people to see this, it's a brilliant gesture to the magical genius Charles Chaplin.
June 26, 2011
A well-organized, informative and inevitably entertaining portrait of the man who revolutionized screen comedy and who arguably became the first mass-market, commercialized media figure.
June 20, 2011
A must see for any Chaplin fan...enough said.
February 20, 2010
While this film covered the life of one of my absolute favorite movie icons I found myself a little disappointed in a few aspects. First of all, I couldn't get past Robert Downy Junior. In the beginning of the film with the young Charlie it was easier to believe, especially since there is so much material to study and copy as far as the slapstick physicality of The Tramp. As Charlie aged, however, I had immense difficulty believing in the character. This is either because I have spent too much time in the makeup room, or because young actors have a very, very difficult time playing older characters. They really still have a bit too much spring in their step.
That said, I did enjoy the recreation of Hollywood's early days immensely.
December 7, 2009
A fantastic documentary of both the man and his work. It skips quickly through some phases, but dwells just enough on others to make up for it. A massive subject made human.
November 15, 2009
This is a wonderful look at the man, his life, and his career. Charlie Chaplin was an awesome actor, director, and writer for his time. Johnny Depp, Martin Scorsese, Robert Downey Jr and more tell what an impact Charlie had on their lives. Great documentary for any movie fan.
½ June 28, 2009
Rented this last night. Robert Downey Jr. is appealing as silent cinema legend Charlie Chaplin. I don't know how true to the life story the movie is, but I think I came away knowing more about him than I did before. I had always heard he had communist leanings, but after watching the movie, I think he was just an artist and independent thinker (with a taste for young girls.) His mother is played by Charlie Chaplin's daughter Geraldine Chaplin of Dr. Zhivago fame. Good cast, good story, good acting. Recommend.
March 28, 2009
The greatest Legend on the Cinema history.
Charlie is never boring! He is a good friend when you are feeling down!
½ December 27, 2008
An emotional and intimate documentary on the man behind the bowler and cane. It's great to see so many influential figures in cinema come together and talk about how Chaplin has influenced them. Woody Allen's kind of a dick though.
½ December 21, 2008
really are a fantastic man...
...with real sense of humor that would ticlke ur funny bones...
November 13, 2008
Beautiful documentation of a Genius.
½ November 10, 2008