Charlie the Lonesome Cougar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie the Lonesome Cougar Reviews

July 6, 2016
Another lost flixster rating.
August 8, 2014
(First viewing - 12/3/2009)
May 6, 2014
Classic Disney animal adventure movie!
November 17, 2013
seen it as a kid in school loved it & would watch it all the time if I owned it
February 21, 2013
Great movie for kids of all ages. It reminds me of a time that I enjoyed in my youth as opposed to today's world we live in.
October 27, 2012
Proof that Disney actually did produce good material at one time. An orphaned cougar cub is raised by a logger and gets into trouble at the mill before he is released into a wildlife refuge as an adult and meets a female cougar.
½ July 31, 2012
one of my favs as a kid....
June 26, 2012
My three little grade schoolers loved watching.
November 17, 2011
I fondly remember this movie from my childhood and wanted to see it again. It withstands the test of time amazingly well. Nothing deep here, just the love of a man and his cougar. A moslty light-hearted, good-natured family film (by Disney of course) with a decent message. They rarely make movies like this anymore. Highly recommended.
½ March 2, 2011
Nice tale of orphaned cougar with a knack for mischief being adopted by a forest ranger. Charlie is friends with entire neighbourhood except Chainsaw the terrier. If Disney did this today, we'd have five awful direct to video sequels.
½ November 14, 2010
Classic Disney movie telling with a bit of rigged setups with wild animals. But it is fun and holds your attention. Good family movie.
July 27, 2010
An interesting look into the world of a friendly cougar. Charlie is a cute cat and his adventures are fun and enjoyable. It could easily have had extra footage but Disney keeps it at an easy viewing of 1 hr. 15 mins. Not only do you learn about cougars some but you also learn about the lumber industry so the film is both fun and informative. A nice little watch.
December 3, 2009
This is an excellent film. I really enjoy the Pacific Northwest scenery.
July 29, 2009
Just look at that face. And then the title of the movie. SALTY TEARS run my face!! Charlie The Lonesome Cougar is a triumph of the heart, but unfortanately by today's family movie stardards, Charlie is a little out of date. You see, beyond a few cougar tricks and comedy, there is very little else to motivate kids to watch a REAL life version of an animal when all of today's movie animals are CGI coke addicts that seem to be both charming, and masters of physical comedy, all the while speaking English!! Still, Charlie is a magnetic character of a cougar, and I still think kids will be drawn to him.

The story and moral principles really drive this movie. Basically Charlie is an orphaned cougar raised by a very caring man in the forestry industry, and quickly a wild cat grows up into a very lovable, albeit big house cat!! The biggest problem with Charlie is the lack of tension and drama. Most of the time there is no doubt of what will happen: things end up alright and safe for the most part. Aside from a section near the end when Charlie becomes rattled and trapped (thus prompted his wild instincts to take over) does the movie get interesting. Otherwise, its a simple parable that's good for showing kids the value of family and friendship.

I can't really recommend this unless you have kids. I solely watched this movie because the title was something so oddly hilarious that it sounded like a movie popular Simpsons character Troy McClure would star in. Overall, its a fun 75 minutes, but definitely only a rental. Unless your kid absolutely adores cougars. Then that makes this a collector's item!!
February 27, 2009
old though still a good movie
February 4, 2009
October 8, 2008
I love old hokey live action disney, but this was uninteresting. It's like they just had all this excess footage of a cougar that they wanted to use...and you get Charlie the lonesome cougar...
August 6, 2008
could lend you the vhs if you want to see it
½ June 27, 2008