Chasing Amy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Amy Reviews

September 19, 2016
Not my favorite Kevin Smith movie, the dialogue and acting seem forced at times, but tackles some pretty big sexual taboos.
September 14, 2016
Review In A Nutshell:

I was certainly not prepared for what Kevin Smith had to offer for Chasing Amy. I came into this film only with my preconceived feelings towards the director, Kevin Smith, from the previous films that I have seen from him; Mallrats, Jersey Girl and Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I knew very little of the plot before coming into this as I had almost complete trust in Kevin Smith and I had this idea that all of his films aside from Jersey Girl, carry the same tone and humour. It was abundantly clear right when the film's complication hits, that Chasing Amy was going to be different.

I believe, at least from what I have seen that Chasing Amy is Smith's most socially thought provoking but also his most endearing film. I have seen his work on Jersey Girl, and though that film does provide more sentimentality, I never felt it was his most endearing. Chasing Amy earns it through its unadulterated and justified emotions. Characters in this film make decisions that would seem to far-fetched, but since Smith allows these individuals to actually contemplate on their decision, pitting side by side logic and instinct, the audience is never felt cheated or manipulated. Chasing Amy is a simple enough film that it is easy to pick up on the larger themes that Smith was trying to explore, while also following the complex emotions that Smith draws up on its romance. The film eventually reaches to a conclusion that I personally felt was appropriate to the characters, leaving me with a melancholy feeling that may completely change subsequent experiences with the film.

When coming into a Kevin Smith film, it is justified, given the nature of his stories and his relaxed satirical direction, for me to not expect anything outstanding from the performance of his cast. Chasing Amy was a powerhouse of a film in regards to its acting; Joey Lauren Adams killed it as Alyssa Jones. Adams plays this role that is conflicted with experiences of her past and shaped by a world that is different from Ben Affleck's character, Holden McNeill, while still coming out of it as the sympathetic character, even though it is Holden that the film primarily follows. Though Ben Affleck gave a strong performance in this film, he was always overshadowed by the intensity of Adams' delivery and I feel bad that she did not gain the accolades that the performance clearly deserved. Hopefully as the audience for this film grows, so will her praise. Do I really need to talk about the rest of the cast?

Chasing Amy effectively delivers through an emotionally layered and impacting performance by Joey Lauren Adams, and Kevin Smith's authentic view on the social ideas behind love, sexuality and genders. This is by far, Kevin Smith's best work; though I am hopeful for Clerks, I doubt it could surpass the ambition and impact that this Chasing Amy was able to supply.
September 13, 2016
The best love story ever made because it's unlike any other and doesn't go the happy Hollywood route.
½ September 1, 2016
I give this a 92/A-.
August 21, 2016
Chasing Amy (1999) C-113m. ??? 1/2 D: Kevin Smith. Ben Affleck, Joey Lauren Adams, Jason Lee, Dwight Ewell, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes. Smith's best film is magnificent comedy-drama dealing with comic book artist who falls in love with attractive female artist even after learning she's gay. Smith's genuine, honest, always on-target script is fully upgraded by three-dimensional characters and two flawless lead performances. Oh yeah, and it's also side-splittingly funny.
July 21, 2016
Fresh idea to a romantic comedy. Good film making all the way around.
July 18, 2016
It's like Kevin Smith took everything he has to say about dating and dropped it into this meandering thesis paper on relationships. His best movie.
July 11, 2016
It's about lesbians. Cool.
July 7, 2016
I have had kind of a long journey to the conclusion that I don't really like Kevin Smith. I think "Clerks" is a good film, somewhat despite of, but also somewhat because of its artlessness. Smith has a tendency to overwrite his dialogue to the point that all of his characters just sound like him talking. In the cheap, staginess of "Clerks", this is almost a virtue. In "Chasing Amy", it's not. I wish I could say that's the only problem I have with the film, but it's not. First, I have plausibility issues. Smith wants me to buy that Affleck's character is such a catch that he actually turns lesbians straight. He hasn't created a character that's really got any attractive qualities, so I'm basically asked to take on faith that a fairly likeable and attractive young lesbian would throw away everything that has mattered up until now to date a close-minded average Joe who never listens to anything she says to him. It could happen I guess. That kind of points to my larger issue. The film seems to exist to justify that massive shortcomings of it's bland suburban jerk characters by being minimally tolerant of gay people, while simultaneously not taking their sexual orientation even minimally seriously. Given the way Smith writes, I can't help feeling that the film exists to let me know that Smith is okay with "the gays".
June 22, 2016
A more grown up Kevin Smith, but still funny. A story that makes us laugh and think a little. And there's more of Jay and Silent Bob !
Nous découvrons un Kevin Smith plus mature et c'est chouette et drôle. C'est une histoire qui nous fait rire et réfléchir. Et on retrouve Jay et Silencieux Bob !
June 18, 2016
it was ok not the best
½ May 22, 2016
"Chasing Amy" makes up for some unconvincing acting and character choices with an insightful look into gender roles and sexual orientation and how they can affect relationships matched by a heartfelt story anchored by multi-faceted characters.
½ April 21, 2016
I liked this movie a lot. I can definitely see how it was very progressive for the time it came out, and the performances by the primary cast is rock solid. Having said that, the appearance of Jay and Silent Bob in the film is so arbitrarily put in that it just seems abrupt. Furthermore, Chris Smith trying to act "casual, but philosophically impactful," is so unnatural. I'm not saying he isn't this way, it's just that watching his performance I am so consciously aware that he is acting that it takes away from whatever message he's actually trying to convey is diluted. Considering that this is supposed to be the climax of the story--both revealing why the movie is called what it is called, and to have the main character essentially have an epiphany, it just falls flat.
April 14, 2016
Makes you never want to screw up as bad as he did....
April 13, 2016
A perfect love-story filled with complete honesty and absolute truth that no other modern love-story can't even match and Kevin Smith's best film, Ben Affleck and especially Joey Lauren Adams are superb!
March 26, 2016
Chasing Amy has, for a long time, been my favourite movie, after countless re-watching I would still struggle to pin down exactly what puts it at that high spot but one of the things that has always been part of the reason I would recommend it is just how honest of a story it seems.
½ February 26, 2016
Another masterful film from Kevin Smith. It's often more vulgar than I would prefer, but that doesn't take anything away from it. I wouldn't say I am a fan of the ending though. Still, Chasing Amy is a uniquely entertaining movie. (First viewing - Summer 2001)
February 20, 2016
I have a lot of problems with Ben Affleck's character (although it may just be his acting) but this is Smith's weightiest and most legitimately artistic work, using the raunch as a back drop for an interesting and topical story.
½ February 15, 2016
A mature turn for writer and director Kevin Smith who continues to put on film dialogue that we all think about, but never say. There's a fine line between over the top gross and though-provoking. Smith manages to get the most from the thin premise and writes perfectly for Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and Joey Lauren Adams. Jersey guys have a tendency to want what they can't have, but I guess that's a tendency for most guys and maybe even the human race. Smith brings you into the Jersey frame of mind and repulses, entertains, and captivates in this wonderful flick. No matter what you think of Smith, this one stands out as the best by a long ways.

As funny as it honest it will be next to impossible for Smith to outdo himself after Chasing Amy but lets hope he finds a way.
February 3, 2016
"Chasing Amy" witnesses the conceptions and fadings of friendships and intimate relationships with a casual eloquence that seems wise in retrospect. The fourth film of '90s wunderkind Kevin Smith, it is a romantic comedy of the "Good Will Hunting" camp, offhandedly naturalistic and likable, but also cogently perceptive when it comes to the stakes of youthful romance. It's a weeper for the cool kids, to be compared to "Before Sunrise" if it were slightly more saccharine.
In "Chasing Amy," we're introduced to twenty-somethings Holden (Ben Affleck) and Banky (Jason Lee), best friends who have achieved quasi-fame through an artistic partnership that has resulted in comic book series "Bluntman and Chronic." Roommates who watch each other's backs with the dedication of lovers, Banky grows concerned when dream girl Alyssa Jones (Joey Lauren Adams) appears out of nowhere, ready to steal Holden's heart. A fellow graphic artist, she drinks like one of the boys and has the wit to keep up in any feigned repartee; blond and baby-voiced, it doesn't take long for her to become an object of affection, viewers as smitten with her as Holden is.
Unbeknownst to him, though, Alyssa is a lesbian who doesn't plan on playing for the other team any time soon. The shock of this revelation sends a jolt down the spine of the impressionable Holden, but that doesn't stop him from making the mistake of falling in love with her - he's in for a world of hurt. And yet passion, it seems, is not something that can be instantaneously halted.
"Chasing Amy" surprises in that it does eventually depict a romantic relationship between Holden and Alyssa, but it goes further in the way that it explores the problems that arise because of it; Alyssa is ostracized by her circle of friends, Banky becomes a torrent of eccentric fury, and Holden grows infatuated with Alyssa's past, which might not be as female oriented as he might have earlier thought. The film is an entertaining exploration of modern romance, funny in its schoolboy sex talk one minute and oddly prudent the next. Like anything Altman or Tarantino, it is the kind of movie that finds most of its appeal through its dialogue, which Smith, fortunately, writes with such humorous insight that realism, for once, feels better, warmer, than a trading of Sorkinish zingers.
Smith's young cast has a lot to do with "Chasing Amy's" breezy amiability, too - Affleck, goateed and as piercing as he is delicate, is a male lead of rare emotion; Lee, abrasive and caring, is efficiently angsty, and Dwight Ewell, as Holden and Banky's gay friend who hides his sexuality by acting as a Black Power stereotype in public, provides the film with some of its most hearty laughs. Jason Mewes and Smith show up for a scene as indie favorites Jay and Silent Bob to explain the meaning of the movie's title. But "Chasing Amy" revolves around Adams like an artist obsesses over their muse, in love with the way she looks and talks and thinks and acts. We're as mad about her as Holden is.
Smith has a way with words and a way with selling a modern love story: "Chasing Amy" is one of the best romantic comedies of the 1990s. Just don't expect to find any mainstream mawkishness in its two-hours of verismo.