Chasing Sleep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Sleep Reviews

July 15, 2016
2016-07-15 weird, no answers in the end about what did or didn't happen
½ September 17, 2015
Man's wife disappears. He cannot sleep due to the stress which is compounded by taking a lot of pills. There are plumbing issues as well. Nothing is revealed in the end, it's really left to anyone's interpretation as to what actually happened. One could fall asleep here and pick up the film when you wake up without missing anything too relevant.
½ November 17, 2013
Intriguing, but ultimately the director tries to be too clever and esoteric and the movie founders in its own self-indulgence. Had potential, but from the beginning there's too much mystery-for-the-sake-of-mystery, and sometimes clumsily done. Still, is interesting enough.

Good performance by Jeff Daniels in the lead role. Supporting cast are okay.
September 6, 2013
The fun's in the ride...not the destination--Slowly and very quietly the tension is built in metaphors!!
May 7, 2013
A silly bit of nonsense that is supposed to be art house but ends up being outhouse. Jeff Daniels tries but he can't lift this out of the rubbish bin.
½ March 6, 2013
Really weird, but good weird. I'm not sure what all the imagery means, but it's an interesting trip.
½ October 27, 2012
Reality blurs for a university professor who takes excessive amounts of sleeping pills after his wife goes missing. You won't lose sleep over missing this one.
May 15, 2012
An incredibly creepy movie in the vein of roman polanski
½ November 30, 2011
This is a slightly disturbing film. It starts out so slow, but then picks up it's pace and delivers a dark, psychological mystery.
October 23, 2011
Lackluster thriller.
October 7, 2011
At first the acting seems a little crappy, but as the film goes on, you realize that it is all a part of the plot. Great movie, keeps you guessing.
½ September 14, 2011
I don't know if it's just me or if I'm the only one who found that it was the most BORING movie I've seen in my life!! It wasn't even scary! :( The story is nice and the actors are really great, but I really thought I was wasting 1hour and half of my life watching that!! I watched it from the begginning to the end 'cause a was waitting for the action to come, but it didn't... the only part that I MAYBE just a LITTLE bit liked was the 5 last minutes (not only beacause it was the end) beacause that's when the personality of the caracter came out. I just think it is not my kind of film
June 9, 2011
Not good. Not bad, but worth a watch.
June 7, 2011
½ February 22, 2011
Has the unsettling presence of a nightmare. While it doesn't contain outright scares, going for a more subtle effect. Although I feel the buildup of surreal atmosphere could've made for a terrifying climax. Instead, the story ends the way you expect it to from the beginning, ambiguously and abruptly, without answering much. Jeff Daniels is a natural, though. It's psychological horror obviously inspired by David Lynch, Roman Polanski, and Edgar Allan Poe, but more contemplative and less frightening.
November 7, 2010
Did not like movie at all. It dragged.
November 6, 2010
I've always consider Jeff Daniels a Poor Man's William Hurt but Chasing Sleep changed my opinion. A star is added for "the" bathtub scene. You will know which one I am talking about after you are finished viewing the film. Creepsville!
February 28, 2010
I watched this from start to finish & had no more idea what it was about when it had finished then when it started! Spend the whole time waiting for it to get going - one of the worst films I have ever seen
January 26, 2010
it could have been better. The ending was weak, poorly excecuted and lazy. It ruined the movie. Totally not worth watching. We knew he killed his wife, he had been plagued by his conscience for the entirety of the film. and yet the ending was him fully succumbing to his guilt. So the ending was not an ending.
½ January 24, 2010
Pretty good in a David Lynchian way for a low budget movie