Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary Reviews

• Jan 17, 2021

This felt like your standard documentary and never really captured my full attention despite being informative and sprinkled with interesting personal anecdotes. The actual footage of Coltrane performances and the first person accounts from family and friends were where this doc was strongest. I never like when a doc uses an unrelated famous person's voice, in this case Denzel Washington, to speak the words of the subject of the documentary and would just prefer an anonymous sounding voice in the absence of Coltranes. John Densmore, the Doors drummer, easily wins the award for biggest Coltrane fan.

• Aug 08, 2020

Excellent documentary manages to give a good impression of Coltrane's music and his significance within jazz history, although the choice of interview partners (e.g. Bill Clinton, John Densmore, Carlos Sanatana, et. al.) , even though they do have interesting things to say, is a bit dubious.

• Dec 25, 2017

really well done and brought me back to my early days when I studied this man's work ethic, spirituality, and completely unique approach. Perhaps this will be too serious & joyless for a newbie but hang in there and deeply listen to the words.to the music. to the higher calling.

• Nov 26, 2017

Not as detailed as I was hoping. Good place to start for the beginner.

Not as detailed as I was hoping. Good place to start for the beginner.

• Jul 13, 2017

I loved it. First of all was the constant music of Coltrane playing throughout the film. I enjoyed the still photos (why do critics have so much trouble with them?) the newsreels of the civil rights events, the interviews with the children. There was some beautiful animation and interviews with jazz greats like Sonny Rollins and Benny Golson, and of course the many clips of studio recording sessions. The music is great , the man was great, he loved and was loved, what more do we need? I thought the treatment of his death was very discreet, sparing us the suffering of so great a loss. A beautiful film!

• Jun 24, 2017

Great film, shows a lot of unseen concert footage & pictures of Coltrane.

Great film, shows a lot of unseen concert footage & pictures of Coltrane.

• May 16, 2017

Great movie that covers the essentials of John Coltrane's immense legacy developed during his (spoiler alert) short time on this planet. Highlights of the documentary include home video footage of Coltrane that I had never seen before. Some of the more disappointing moments of the movie were that the albums of his later years were largely skimmed over, seemingly because they are deemed too strange to examine closely. Also, I found extremely disappointing that some of what I consider to be the most important aspects of Coltrane's legacy were totally ignored. In particular, I found it disappointing that they did not analyze the moment when I was tripping on acid in my garage listening to his 1966 masterpiece, Meditations, and realized how far out music made on man-made instruments could go while simultaneously taking the audience along for the ride.

• May 12, 2017

Moving, soulful and rich with Coltrane's musical journey....brilliant.

Moving, soulful and rich with Coltrane's musical journey....brilliant.

• Apr 04, 2017

Besides clinton innapprpriately being in it--Superb!

Besides clinton innapprpriately being in it--Superb!