Chasseurs de Dragons (Dragon Hunters) Reviews

maxthesax
February 26, 2012
Beautifully filmed, with some truly exquisite passages, this film falls flat by being so typically derivative, showing us nothing we haven't seen before except some beautifully filmed scenes.

Even the story seems creaky - a young princess dreams of vanquishing the arch dragon, that her uncle has kept at bay for years. She runs away from the castle (with underdeveloped motivation) and therefore gets saved by a "team" of Dragon Hunters - one, the strong, pure hearted, but kinda dim Lian Chu (wish they would have called him Dim Sum), and the conniving, quasi jive talking Gwizdo - they form an odd couple indeed... just as we've seen in countless other films.

Upon rescuing the girl, the team decides to return her to her uncle, hoping to receive a reward - instead they are sent on a mission to rid the realm of the arch dragon "world gobbler". The rest is a quest, which provides some nice imagery and artful animation, but is ruined by the typical casting of the characters involved. The little girl won't stop yakking while Gwizdo continues to be the typical wise cracking non hero... and Dim Sum? He says next to nothing, continually looking into the camera with a bewildered look behind his fu Manchu.

The film is also a bit lazy as it reused several shots - in particular those of a crowd laughing at Dim Sum as he tries to vanquish some kind of giant caterpillar. This is jarring when set against Roger Deanesque vistas of small jagged worlds tumbling through space. Such shots are nice, but the implausibility of jumping from one "planet" to another further reminds you that at all times you are watching animation - not something visceral. I suppose you could suggest that the film is just a dream, and being French, I suppose that's possible... but then I must compare it to another French film that was actually a dream - Fantastic Planet. There you had a film with a purpose, exploring many sci-fi themes with originality - while with Dragon Hunters; well, I'm not sure what the purpose was, or why this film got green lighted - it doesn't cover any new ground and really, except for it's quirky, yet nicely done animated style, has no reason to exist.
½ May 20, 2011
While it's not as polished and fully cohesive like a bigger production, it's one that is passable. That being said the story is very basic but the environments and quality of the images are top notch!
½ October 29, 2010
This movie was unexpectedly beautiful, different and lovely. I want every kid I know to watch it and I'll be happy to watch it with them again and again.

The beauty of the world is very much based on le petit prince, and is just adorable.
Blaster1618
½ September 11, 2010
A darker, grittier and less commercial Arthur and In Invisibles (2006). Set in a stunning "Yes" album cover world. Forrest Whitaker overwhelms the rest of the story as the larger than life, but flawed character of Lian Chu. His depth of feeling and subtle charm remind me of his portrayal in Ghost dog 2000. Whitaker and his comic relief Rob Paulsen are orphan left to their own devices grow to become huckster dragon hunters for profit. That is until the meet up with Zoe played by Marie Drion. They save her from two small dragons and while attempting to claim their reward from her rich and blind uncle Sir Arnold who was the greatest dragon slayer in history are offered his fortune if they could kill the worst dragon ever known. The battle scenes with the dragons are very intense for young children, but at the same time a credit to the exceptional artistry of the CGI. The most intense is the Red dragon who forms out of a cloud thousands of equally scary bat like creatures. This movie in all probability, fails commercially for its successes artistically Its not really appropriate for children under 5-9 Years (depending on how easily they are frightened) and thematically not interesting for children over 13 Yrs, Not a wide demographic. Leave as a hidden gem for us animation geeks; Thanks Lance.
May 30, 2014
An animated adventure movie from France. Some imaginative scenery with stereotypically unimaginative characters done in CGI. The story is told in such a straightforward manner that there were no surprises which led to a bit of boredom on my part. Meh.
April 1, 2011
You may want to check this out, this may surprise you like it did me, very imaginative and quite dark and intense at times. But it's blatant flaws like the pace in some scenes, dialogue and editing makes you really know how great Pixar and even Blue Sky and DreamWorks animation studios are. But as a low budget animated film outside of those companies, this is not bad.
January 9, 2010
It was a ok and funny movie. The humor is probably the only thing that kept me watching it. It really was a funny film. The imaginitive world is very odd but creative still. I feel a little uneasy about the story but doesnt matter that much because it was made mostly for kids. Nice animation by the way.
November 24, 2009
A silly, fun, and neat looking CGI cartoon from France, with Forrest Whitaker as one of the main characters in the dub. A young, privileged girl dreams of becoming a neat, but alas, she is a girl. Her blind, dastardly uncle is getting ready to send her to a convent. She escapes and is saved by two rogues. The rest of the plot is about the three of them setting off to fight the World Devourer, the largest and meanest dragon of them all, in a world full of floating islands and various kinds of dragons. It's simple and fun. Better than Madagascar or such crap, but it's no Pixar.
½ June 22, 2009
Beautifully animated and very creative. It might be a little bleak and frightening for some kids. Good story, entertaining and it doesn't outstay its welcome. The score is very effective.
½ November 11, 2008
stunningly detailed CGI visuals, especially the rigid body dynamics. This movie raises the bar for Pixar & Dreamworks to follow. It could use a more endearing mascot though. And the fluffy bunnies floating on microcosms at the end just makes it positively surreal.
December 1, 2014
Considering what I got for 5 dollars, I was blown away. Even more so by the TV series, which I discovered after this movie. It's fun, has a unique world, and stars one of the most huggable giants in years. Pick it up if you see it.
½ September 5, 2013
Dragon Hunters (Chasseurs de dragons) French animation film directed by Arthur Owak and Guillaume Ivernel. Dragon Hunters is based on television series of same name. In English-dubbed version Lian's voice is provided by Forest Whitaker.

A fantasy film - young girl named Zoe lives with her blind uncle a rich medieval man. Her uncle is trying hard to get a great dragon killed - this fascinates Zoe and she embarks upon journey to find the worthy ones in the lands and suddenly comes across three characters who are working in alliance (especially mighty Lian) Lian the warrior, Hector. Hector lies to Zoe about being 'noble-knight's so to con her, in deep down they are poor orphans playing around petty dragons, while Lian is pursuing dream to capture the real on -

It is simple animation film that almost gives us an idea of what is going on around the film and what actually needs to be done; does not leave you thinking suspiciously about itsy-bitsy flaws or vacuum left behind. Characters provide fun, humor. Mesmerizing music-score in the mid of the film.
½ June 29, 2013
About as gorgeous as animation can be.. it's just absolutely stunning to watch. Considering that it was released in 2008, it holds up remarkably well.. you might say, it hasn't aged a day. I only wish it had a bit more substance to its beauty, though it makes up for it with jaw-dropping originality in its visuals. Unlike anything else you've ever seen.
½ November 25, 2012
Wonderful animation with a good story to boot.
November 10, 2012
Oh oh oh!!! This is now my new favorite movie! The art work had me swooning, the story line had me hooked, the strange paths the movie whirlwinded down had me cocking my head going, "curiouser and curiouser..."
The music took my breath away and then gave it back to me with interest!!!
I'd love to meet the mind behind this find!
*sigh of bliss*
August 20, 2012
A kids movie about some adventurers with very little adventure, it falls short in many aspects and most of the time it seems like its missing important pieces of the story.
July 29, 2012
I Liked this one has a wonderful background scenes and the cute lil dragon kinda reminded me of Stitch lol! Good movie for any adventure lover!
July 21, 2012
I happened to catch it on TV and not knowing anything about it. While the story is far for original, it is worth a watch just for the scenes and visuals.
March 4, 2012
Visually stunning. A must-see on blu-ray.
maxthesax