Chasseurs de Dragons (Dragon Hunters) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasseurs de Dragons (Dragon Hunters) Reviews

maxthesax
February 26, 2012
Beautifully filmed, with some truly exquisite passages, this film falls flat by being so typically derivative, showing us nothing we haven't seen before except some beautifully filmed scenes.

Even the story seems creaky - a young princess dreams of vanquishing the arch dragon, that her uncle has kept at bay for years. She runs away from the castle (with underdeveloped motivation) and therefore gets saved by a "team" of Dragon Hunters - one, the strong, pure hearted, but kinda dim Lian Chu (wish they would have called him Dim Sum), and the conniving, quasi jive talking Gwizdo - they form an odd couple indeed... just as we've seen in countless other films.

Upon rescuing the girl, the team decides to return her to her uncle, hoping to receive a reward - instead they are sent on a mission to rid the realm of the arch dragon "world gobbler". The rest is a quest, which provides some nice imagery and artful animation, but is ruined by the typical casting of the characters involved. The little girl won't stop yakking while Gwizdo continues to be the typical wise cracking non hero... and Dim Sum? He says next to nothing, continually looking into the camera with a bewildered look behind his fu Manchu.

The film is also a bit lazy as it reused several shots - in particular those of a crowd laughing at Dim Sum as he tries to vanquish some kind of giant caterpillar. This is jarring when set against Roger Deanesque vistas of small jagged worlds tumbling through space. Such shots are nice, but the implausibility of jumping from one "planet" to another further reminds you that at all times you are watching animation - not something visceral. I suppose you could suggest that the film is just a dream, and being French, I suppose that's possible... but then I must compare it to another French film that was actually a dream - Fantastic Planet. There you had a film with a purpose, exploring many sci-fi themes with originality - while with Dragon Hunters; well, I'm not sure what the purpose was, or why this film got green lighted - it doesn't cover any new ground and really, except for it's quirky, yet nicely done animated style, has no reason to exist.
½ May 20, 2011
While it's not as polished and fully cohesive like a bigger production, it's one that is passable. That being said the story is very basic but the environments and quality of the images are top notch!
January 8, 2016
The French and 3D animation don't go well together. Dragon Hunters is a subpar animated film about an idealistic girl wanting to meet a brave stumbling upon a gentle giant, and they hunt for dragon. Nothing interesting to see here other than horrible writing and really terrible voice acting.
½ October 29, 2010
This movie was unexpectedly beautiful, different and lovely. I want every kid I know to watch it and I'll be happy to watch it with them again and again.

The beauty of the world is very much based on le petit prince, and is just adorable.
Blaster1618
½ September 11, 2010
A darker, grittier and less commercial Arthur and In Invisibles (2006). Set in a stunning "Yes" album cover world. Forrest Whitaker overwhelms the rest of the story as the larger than life, but flawed character of Lian Chu. His depth of feeling and subtle charm remind me of his portrayal in Ghost dog 2000. Whitaker and his comic relief Rob Paulsen are orphan left to their own devices grow to become huckster dragon hunters for profit. That is until the meet up with Zoe played by Marie Drion. They save her from two small dragons and while attempting to claim their reward from her rich and blind uncle Sir Arnold who was the greatest dragon slayer in history are offered his fortune if they could kill the worst dragon ever known. The battle scenes with the dragons are very intense for young children, but at the same time a credit to the exceptional artistry of the CGI. The most intense is the Red dragon who forms out of a cloud thousands of equally scary bat like creatures. This movie in all probability, fails commercially for its successes artistically Its not really appropriate for children under 5-9 Years (depending on how easily they are frightened) and thematically not interesting for children over 13 Yrs, Not a wide demographic. Leave as a hidden gem for us animation geeks; Thanks Lance.
May 30, 2014
An animated adventure movie from France. Some imaginative scenery with stereotypically unimaginative characters done in CGI. The story is told in such a straightforward manner that there were no surprises which led to a bit of boredom on my part. Meh.
January 29, 2012
The world design here is very cool, as are the dragons.

But beyond the great design, this film is difficult for adults and non-animation lovers to engage in. While its themes--a combination of a bug's life and Kung Fu Panda--are powerful and universal, there's no subtext to anything anyone says. It's all delivered quite squarely on your shoulders. There's also a lot of goofy comedy instead of a solid emotional moment. Lastly, the character animation isn't very fluid. Instead it's much more cartoony, with big, sweeping movements. It calls attention to the fact that it's an animated film, but not in the cute and appealing squash-and-stretch way. It's more of being able, at least on a subconscious level, that the movements aren't human.
August 19, 2011
This is completely lifeless and boring. No plot to speak of, no heart, and not even any sheer kiddie entertainment. Just a bunch of fast-moving, middle-of-the-road animation. I turned this off with almost 40 minutes left to go.
April 1, 2011
You may want to check this out, this may surprise you like it did me, very imaginative and quite dark and intense at times. But it's blatant flaws like the pace in some scenes, dialogue and editing makes you really know how great Pixar and even Blue Sky and DreamWorks animation studios are. But as a low budget animated film outside of those companies, this is not bad.
March 20, 2011
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

I liked it a bit more than what I expected but it just didn't fully grab my interest. A near-miss.
½ March 3, 2011
Dragon Hunters is an entertaining, if derivative, children's fantasy film, but from the looks of it, one would think it was Super Mario Galaxy.
June 4, 2010
Interesting, far to say the least. It was not excellent, but it was far from being ordinary. The universe in which the characters of Lian-Chu and Gwizdo live in is far more ingenious and interesting than the adventure which they have. So what the film lacks in story and character, it makes up in its flora and fauna.
½ May 22, 2010
A wonderful film, designed for both adults and children. The characters are not simplistic, they face challenges and fears in a more realistic vein that most movies while staying within the needs of a movie appropriate for children. The animation is exquisite, and the detail of both the main action and background action allows for multiple viewing interest.

The movie is intense and younger children should watch the movie with a loved one. However, a second viewing can be done alone, once he ending is known. I watched it, watched it again with my 17 year old daughter and I am giving it to friends with young children to watch.
½ May 22, 2010
Dragon Hunters - animated, french, family friendly.
This film deserves more attention than it has received. This english language family friendly film takes place in an imaginary universe and is suitable for children 5+ and the whole family. PG rated. Has some scary monsters, poop & doo doo references. Otherwise harmless and acceptable. The plot is average and the dialogue is sometimes odd (as if it were written in fench and translated to english). Forrest Whitaker is very good as the lead. This film is a visual treat. Kids will enjoy the tried and true story line, and parents can appreciate the interesting imagery and presentation. This decidely european film is different from typical U.S. fare and is a good, but not great, change of pace.
May 22, 2010
Beautifully animated and very creative. It might be a little bleak and frightening for some kids. Good story, entertaining and it doesn't outstay its welcome. The score is very effective.
January 9, 2010
It was a ok and funny movie. The humor is probably the only thing that kept me watching it. It really was a funny film. The imaginitive world is very odd but creative still. I feel a little uneasy about the story but doesnt matter that much because it was made mostly for kids. Nice animation by the way.
November 24, 2009
A silly, fun, and neat looking CGI cartoon from France, with Forrest Whitaker as one of the main characters in the dub. A young, privileged girl dreams of becoming a neat, but alas, she is a girl. Her blind, dastardly uncle is getting ready to send her to a convent. She escapes and is saved by two rogues. The rest of the plot is about the three of them setting off to fight the World Devourer, the largest and meanest dragon of them all, in a world full of floating islands and various kinds of dragons. It's simple and fun. Better than Madagascar or such crap, but it's no Pixar.
½ June 22, 2009