The Chateau Reviews

• Dec 15, 2013

same ole same ole not very funny

same ole same ole not very funny

• Mar 07, 2013

Graham" (Paul Rudd) and his adopted, African-American brother (Romany Malco) go to France to claim a chateau they have inherited from an uncle they don't know. The two meet the staff of the place, and there is an immediate language barrier and culture clash. Now, the two have to figure out what to do with the place. The first thing you can't help notice is that the film itself is very grainy. In fact, at times, I felt like I was watching video transferred to film. At other times, I felt as if the footage was a lot older than it is. However, there are some good performances in this film. But, some interaction was hard to believe. There was probably some problems in the writing of the scenes, because this script was far from perfect. The two leads did a pretty good job,and many times appeared to be more friends than adoptive brothers. If I am not mistaken, this movie is suppose to be a comedy. When you have people speaking two different languages with no way of being able to understand one another, it can be funny -- if the script is done properly. This movie missed many times to take advantage of this problem. If the two lead Americans were more comical, then they could have made the scenes a lot more funny. They completely missed making them understandable to the French funnier. Another problem was the weakly written romantic subplot. I felt little to no chemistry between the ones involved in this plot device. Another problem with this film is that it mostly takes place in the chateau and its grounds. We get a couple of scenes on a train and at a train station, but we never get to meet anybody who lives near the place. They never even go to a nearby village where the two Americans could have gone to for whatever reason, lose their French-English dictionary and tried to ask for directions back. I just could not laugh at anything in this film. The soundtrack is completely forgettable. I can only recall two or three songs in the entire movie, and most were during the closing credits. The only thing interesting in this movie is when a particular character reveals himself to the Americans. However, with the poor writing of the film, they barely go anywhere with this plot twist. I just can not recommend this movie. But, check it out when it is on HBO -- when you're really desperate to see a movie.

• Oct 22, 2012

I felt like it started in the middle.

I felt like it started in the middle.

• Aug 15, 2012

most people haven't heard of the movie- go out and watch

most people haven't heard of the movie- go out and watch

• Jan 11, 2012

The Chateau is a little oddity that was largely improvised. That accounts for the film's multiple tones, and the awkwardness in which it shifts between them, but it also provides some really funny bits and an air to itself that is both charming and fresh. The film is chock full of flaws, but it's so fun and different that I just couldn't help enjoying myself all the way.

• Oct 27, 2010

This is a movie that grew on me. When I first watched it I thought, WTF? But by the second time I had gotten used to the poor quality of the film enough to appreciate its humor and situations. The poor quality of the cinematography can actually work in your favor if you let it. Rather than expecting to be dazzled by something that spans the course of many years, The Chateau takes place over a very short period of time and causes you to feel like you're right there with the people who are living their lives. It's easy to forget its a movie at all. It seems instead like a poorly shot reality TV show. If you can swallow that, you may be able to find the hidden genius in The Chateau.

• Sep 14, 2010

One of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen

One of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen

• Aug 05, 2010

Paul Rudd at his most adorable? It might be the glasses. Also this movie made me realize my french isn't THAT terrible. Although in comparison to Paul Rudd that is not saying much.

• Dec 01, 2009

I found it to be a likable film, in spite of the lackluster reviews. Sylvie Testud is charming and has such an interesting face. Paul Rudd is fine as well. It has a very natural style that works well for the film. It's unusual and not predictable.

• Nov 12, 2009

its really not as bad as the other reviews make it seem. its a cool little movie. paul rudd & romany malco are funny as always, but its just more restrained than their usual stuff.