The Cheap Detective - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cheap Detective Reviews

January 6, 2016
Rather strange Neil-Simon penned send up on Humphrey Bogart movies. Actually, ths totally feels like Simon's attempt at Mel Brooks-style humor. Tons and tons of dumb jokes waiting for a punchline, a cast that shouldn't be doing comedy, and so on. A bit of a labor to watch.
August 13, 2015
I thought that this film was hilarious. I thought that it was well written dialog and the jokes were well done. I liked the opening credits, sets, decor, costumes, and music which were well done for this film. This film is made up of a lot of actors from 60's through 90's.

I also liked how he would get out of not paying the cab driver each time he takes a taxi ride.

The Nazi's in this film were funny too. I like the bar scene when everyone sings like the Germans sing their national anthem and everyone else then starts to sing.

I love how the film ended with him riding with all the girls from the film and was able to get rid of the one that was his partners wife.

I love how everyone who gets shot stays still in the position they were standing in when they were shot.
½ August 13, 2015
Better received in 1978 than now when it seems too contrived.8/13/15 just rewatched-got a couple of chuckles ouit of this spoof of 'casablanca' and other Bogie pix
May 23, 2015
dumb. Simon's worst effort
March 22, 2015
Does not hold up to time.A few chuckles is all you get from this send up.
January 12, 2015
Even in a spoof, it's nice to have a plot.
January 11, 2014
An impressive cast put into a spoof of detective movies that left me feeling bored. The jokes are repeated constantly throughout the movie resulting in it not being funny after the first 20 minutes.
½ January 9, 2014
Helps greatly if you yourself are a fan of classic Hollywood films and are familiar with them, as the film is a pastiche of several well-known classics. Has a fun cast, and is good for a few chuckles.
½ January 2, 2014
Neil Simon's follow-up to "Murder By Death" is a pretty good parody of classic Humphrey Bogart and similar films. It's not exactly "Blazing Saddles" outrageously funny, but it's charming if you're familiar with the films it parodying and you can't beat the cast, which includes Peter Falk, Ann-Margret, Eileen Brennan, Sid Caesar, Stockard Channing, James Coco, Dom DeLuise, Louse Fletcher, John Houseman, Madeline Kahn, Phil Silvers, Abe Vigoda, Vic Tayback and Fernando Lamas (father of "Snake Eater" Lorenzo Lamas).
½ May 30, 2013
The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca are where this spoof/send-up begins, turning out little better than a lame Saturday Night Live skit (only running longer), but enjoyable for the charisma of its cast, obviously enjoying a chance at these familiar characters. Falk made a career out of playing a poor man's Bogie, and there's not enough Ann-Margret.
April 22, 2013
funny only if seen Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon.
½ October 21, 2012
Neil Simon's sequel, of a sort, to his MURDER BY DEATH from two years earlier. Another send-up of the detective genre, but this time more focused on 1940s Bogart films and with a bigger cast of twenty or so 1970s luminaries. Unfortunately it is not quite as funny. The jokes fly at a rate of about 8 per minute, and given the cast and the fact Simon is writing them some are going to hit; but most miss. Again, knowledge of what is being parodied is helpful but not required.
June 1, 2012
"Being a private eye may not be much, but we do have a code of honor. It's all right to fool around with your partner's wife, but once he's dead it makes it all so dirty. That's the way it is, angel. You marry yourself a nice guy, have a couple of swell kids. Once you're all set up and happy, maybe we can fool around again."
½ May 30, 2012
Stylish and Witty Neil Simon Tribute to the Films Noir of the 1940s--Smart humor. Almost too smart!!
March 31, 2012
Peter Falk's typecasting as a noir detective was never more prominent than in the genre spoof The Cheap Detective. Borrowing heavily from the Humphrey Bogart classics of the past, the film also pays enormous homage to the genre itself while managing to be a great, smart comedy on its own. With a cast that includes Ann-Margaret, Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn, Sid Cesar, Dom DeLuise, Louise Fletcher, Paul Williams and Stockard Channing, the movie is so wonderfully colorful in its casting, depsite not being a particularly strong film. It is enjoyable and fun, but lacks the qualities of a perfected comedy classic.
FilmFanatik
November 8, 2011
½ October 8, 2011
THE CHEAP DETECTIVE (1978)
February 3, 2011
The gimmick eventually wears a little thin, but Falk is great in the Bogart-ish lead role (which he previously established in the superior MURDER BY DEATH), and I must admit that the script does a fine job of spoofing the overly-convoluted nature of many of the 1940's private detective films.
January 6, 2011
Yet another detective spoof movie from the 70s?! Yep. Again, we have a fantastic all star cast, and a very funny story. I really liked this movie, even if it isn't very different from other movies like it.