Cheaper by the Dozen Reviews

• Jul 22, 2018

I prefer the newer cheaper by the dozen

I prefer the newer cheaper by the dozen

• Jan 04, 2018

A sweet family friendly tale, based on a true story.

A sweet family friendly tale, based on a true story.

• Nov 06, 2016

A great movie soured by an unexpected and abrupt ending.

A great movie soured by an unexpected and abrupt ending.

• Spencer S Super Reviewer
    Dec 26, 2014

The original "Cheaper by the Dozen" is based on the autobiography of the real Gilbreth clan, who lived in early 20th century New England. The film is queerly obsessed with the olden days, and how great they were. Headed by patriarch Frank (Webb) the family of twelve moves to another state, gets a big house, and shenanigans ensue. Tonsils are removed, makeup and heels are denigrated, there's a school dance, and a dog somehow takes residence in the home. Webb's character is supposed to be wacky yet strict, but he comes off as a loudmouth sexist. His often slut shames his daughter (Crain) who is just trying to be a normal teenage girl. He talks a lot about the virtues of marriage, the inefficiency of others, and his own warped, often outdated views, on a plethora of other subjects. I understand that this may have been the tone of family life in the twenties, but language such as this has no bearing on a family film in the early fifties. Frank is always trying to show how efficient he can make certain processes, but in the midst of it he often talks down to people and basically insults everyone's intelligence. It's a film that tries to be sweet natured, but Webb's dialogue comes off like a mean girl lecturing on morality. It comes off as fake and twisted, tarnishing any family value it tries to exact.

• Dec 25, 2014

My dad loved the dance music when Frank is dancing with his daughter. I do, too, but it's hard to come by it. The scene near the end where the little son blurts out in grief that 'our daddy is dead!" is pure genius; I'll bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

• May 19, 2013

Already seen loved it then good family fun bit dated for this generation more the pity

• Mar 07, 2013

Pretty true to the book, which I loved as a kid. I'm not interested in seeing the remake, though.

• Mar 01, 2013

i prefer it with steve martin but both are good

i prefer it with steve martin but both are good

• Feb 03, 2013

A surprisingly dull tale which comes across as a sequence of scenes and doesn't really have a plot. The performances here are quite good and there are flashes of effective humour, but this is an otherwise forgettable offering. It was followed by 'Belles on Their Toes' in 1952 and remade, in-name only, in 2003.

• Jan 28, 2013

Great flick..Fun for all ages...

Great flick..Fun for all ages...