Cheerful Weather For The Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cheerful Weather For The Wedding Reviews

½ December 23, 2012
The weather isn't cheerful here nor is the film itself. While there is nothing here that would make me recommend the film to anybody I wouldn't tell people that it is a total waste of time either as some of the performances are worth watching and the period detail of the earlier 1900's (a few decades after Downton I'd assume) is also nicely done. To fully enjoy a movie, though, I don't just want my eyes to be dazzled ... I want to feel something as well and this is where Cheeful Weather For the Wedding is a let-down. There is very little heart, emotion or warmth on display here (one emotional character isn't enough to save the film). The film takes place on Dolly's wedding day (Felicity Jones - Like Crazy, Chalet Girl, Hysteria) as she is about to marry a man she may or may not love. Also invited to the wedding is Joseph (Luke Treadaway - Attack the Block, Clash of the Titans, The Whistleblower), a young man who was/is in love with Dolly and he hasn't gotten over how she had toyed with is yearnings and emotions just a few months prior (he is the character with emotion and soul). Dolly is feckless, fickle and not really overly likable and this hurts the film as I didn't care whether she was happy or not as she didn't even seem to care as long as she married comfortably into money. Dolly's mother (Elizabeth McGovern - "Downton Abbey", Ragtime, Ordinary People) plays a much-less friendly version of her Downton character who doesn't want Joseph around. The film is a lot of talk and a lot of flashbacks ... but little of it is endearing. The film's lone bright-spot is the supporting turn by Fenella Woolgar (Scoop, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, Vera Drake) whose dry delivery and wit make her stand-out from the rest of the overly self-important wedding guests. This is one of those weddings you don't really want to attend ... the great part about this being a film is that you don't have to (nobody will be any the wiser).
½ December 18, 2012
Slightly remind me of one of Jamie Travis's
½ December 17, 2012
It felt like a movie that was finished in it's first draft in some places. It really does feel like an incomplete project. There was a few scenes however that I really enjoyed, which almost made me like the film. However, I am split on this slightly dark dramedy. It does have a lot of potential to be better than this though.
December 9, 2012
Slow and without heart.
Harlequin68
½ December 9, 2012
In 1932, Dolly(Felicity Jones) begins her wedding day by praying to the porcelain gods, followed by finding the exact wrong time to get reacquainted with her Tolstoy. Meanwhile, downstairs, her sister Kitty(Ellie Kendrick) and Evelyn(Zoe Tapper) find little to do except to comment on the appearance of Dr. Joseph Patten(Luke Treadaway) who was last heard of in Greece and was not expected for the ceremony, least of all by Dolly's mother(Elizabeth McGovern). Then, Owen(James Norton), the groom, puts in an appearance to find out where the ring is.

Aided by exquisitely serene performances from its leads, "Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" is a witty and bittersweet look at the intersection of family and marriage which shows how hard it is to get through a wedding entirely sober.(The old line being that it is 5 pm somewhere.) As such, the important details lie just below the surface, as bombshells, both literal and metaphorical, are dropped on this most important of days. With a respect and subtle critiquing of this time's traditions, the movie makes multiple uses of time, not only in how it moves too quickly and too slowly for some characters but by going back to happier times and better weather.
November 10, 2012
Very good...this deserves a rating...not your standard love story but it has many subtle story lines, that make you want to go back and watch it again, and figure it all out. I would definitely watch it, the first 5 minutes or so take awhile to pick up but it's worth it!
August 28, 2012
An uninspiring love story with amazing dialogue from the interesting characters. Well costumed.